xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: X-bit  (Read 210 times)

psycoguy1080

• Archived User
X-bit
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2003, 06:53:00 PM »

Maybe you could use the 2mb flash bios to store an xbox kernel and another bios, because for me i messed up my tsop, so i can only use a mod-chip (and if i could only choose 1 bios it would be xecuter)

greengiant

• Archived User
X-bit
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »

There are 3 key points to a bigger bios, whether they may become reality is different.
1) Bigger Bios's
2) Marketing
3) The cost difference between 1mb and 2mb is so little, why not. (as some of you have pointed out)

As xantium said, if you remember the very first few linux that came out, they where a self contained 1mb .bin file that was a bios. It would extract to a virtual ram drive and have a small web server and such.
It may be possible to do a similar thing as xantium pointed out, to extra evox or a small xbe to memory and run it.

The main advantage is the USB, even thought it may not seem like much.
It will decrease programming time, the LPT + Power cables, and simplyfy compatibility problems excibited with the current CheapLPC based designs.

Mind you, I doupt anyone here has even looked at, but Interesting Devices has come up with a Serial Port based Cheaplpc, and has been around for some time.
This Serial Port CheapLPC doesn't have the problems of the LPC based one, and programs much faster as well.

Ubergeek, for the X3, stay away from FCC cables they are horrible for newbies.

vidgms4me

• Archived User
X-bit
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2003, 06:21:00 AM »

smile.gif .   This seems to only be to make 1mb chips seem outdated, and they certainly are not.  Only serious developers would need a 2mb bios, and if there was a bios for normal users with added features (as many of you have pointed out) I'd imagine it would cause some problems (as BJ is thinking).  Obviously there are some problems being caused by these features, because if I remember correctly, the chip was due out in July.  (Or it could be due to the LFRAME, who knows).  

Honestly however, I beleive this chip is destined to end up the same way as the Matrix chip.  It will appear so easy/featurepacked/etc., and will end up to have many flaws and cause problems in the end.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

greengiant

• Archived User
X-bit
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2003, 02:58:00 PM »

vidgms4me that is very true, the best way would be to have two versions possibly. Then it would lower the cost and such, make it less bloated.

But like many others and myself have pointed out, the choice to go with 2mb eeprom was probably the cost factor, in large qty the price difference is so little why not do it anyways and have an extra bonus.

PlastiKK_

• Archived User
X-bit
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (krazykamikaze @ Aug 24 2003, 08:59 PM)
To me this all sounds like a statement Bill Gates made a while back...
<< 640K ought to be enough for everybody. >>

When the hell did he say that?

nyarrgh

• Archived User
X-bit
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (PlastiKK_ @ Aug 24 2003, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (krazykamikaze @ Aug 24 2003, 08:59 PM)
To me this all sounds like a statement Bill Gates made a while back...
<< 640K ought to be enough for everybody. >>

When the hell did he say that?

Way back in the MSDOS days... before the windows era... When XT was king! And a 10 M Hard drive was taking up the space that 2 CD Rom drives takes up now smile.gif

ugh.. I feel so old all of a sudden... sad.gif

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
Pages: 1 [2]