xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Soldering Iron Mod!  (Read 78 times)

pdottz

• Archived User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« on: October 16, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »

I know alot of people out there are like me... (mod monkeys  :D ) I haven't started on my xb yet except for a chip hehe.

Here's the thing, Soldering iron handles are placed way up away from the tip. At least mine is, it's an old  30watt I've had for about 10 years. ( No Im not old, just started early with this stuff)

I sharpened the tip with my dremel for a nice fine point. wire installs take no time like this.

now what I want to do is place the handle closer down towards the point of the iron. The reason is that I am also an artist, and hold pencils and pens closer up to the front for better control. I tried this with my soldering iron (after it was off and cooled for sometime) and it feels so nice. I even moved it around from point to point  on an old NIC card I no longer needed to see how good control would be. It's awesome. Holding the Iron from the handle is awkward for me.
Does anyone know a way to add maybe like a drilled piece of wood? shaped with the dremel hehe.?
I don't know why I didn't think about this years ago.

This post has been edited by pdottz: Oct 17 2003, 12:49 AM

spgurley

• Archived User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »

im same way, but im not an artist

i wish there was a way

gay soldering iron companys, they shoudl make a soldering iron liike this

Linkitch

• Archived User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »

try asking in here instead... people know a little bit more about modding, then people on this forum... no offence...
http://forums.bit-tech.net/

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »

yeah not to mention when you're hopped up on mt dew all the time (like me)

all those little hand shakes are amplified by the length of the soldering iron... where if you held it closer to the tip that would be minimized...

I would love to be able to hold the tip close like that...

I think it's mostly a heat thing I know even the front part of my plastic handle is too hot to touch while it's on...

but you know maybe if they cased it in ceramics.... just trying to think of materials that dont conduct heat as well...

xobloof

• Archived User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 07:40:00 PM »

Well you could get a metcal if you have an an extra $500 bucks.

http://www.metcal.com/products/1.2.2.1.1.htm

sk8ermike6789

• Archived User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »

i learned the hard way that you cant hold a soldering pencil, like a real pencil  :( ...............ouch

This post has been edited by sk8ermike6789: Oct 17 2003, 04:54 AM

NeO529

• Archived User
Soldering Iron Mod!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (sk8ermike6789 @ Oct 16 2003, 11:43 PM)
i learned the hard way that you cant hold a soldering pencil, like a real pencil  :( ...............ouch

lmfao.... I have been burned many times by my iron but none because I didnt think it would hurt lol.