xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Soldering Lpc Holes W/ Matrix  (Read 75 times)

Xeero

• Archived User
Soldering Lpc Holes W/ Matrix
« on: July 13, 2003, 07:14:00 PM »

I would apply some flux over the surface of all the LPC points.  Then heat your iron and melt the solder.  They should all form smooth surfaces now.

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »

It can be purchased as a liquid but more commonly as a paste.  It is often used to clean solder from the iron and also to help solder stick to contacts.  In this case, it will prevent the solder from sticking to the iron, so when you apply from flux to the solder, melt it, and remove the iron...the solder will retain it's shape instead of being drawn upward by the iron and forming a spike.

gottajiboo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 03:48:00 PM »

Okay.  Went to Rat Shack and picked up the following items...
15 watt Soldering Iron
Clear Flux Solder
Desoldering Braid
Vaccum Desoldering Bulb

They didn't have the flux paste so I went to Home Depot and bought a little can of BernzOMatic Lead Free Water Soluble Flux (for use with any lead free solder).

My LPC points are already filled but I need to figure out how I can easily melt them flat without pulling the points up and making them pointy.

One guy at the hobby store said that I may want to try re-tinning my iron and putting it on the points?

I wonder if I should use the little brush that came with the paste or if I should just use a toothpick (probably toothpick).

The water soluble flux does not say if it's electrical or non-electrical...

Also, I wonder how much flux to use, just a tiny bit or enough to cover the spikes completely.

Please let me know the best method you guys think I should take to flatten the spiked points out...

Thanks Again!

gottajiboo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »

ohmy.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »

I also have purchased some from Wal-Mart in the plumbing section.  Never buy plumbing solder, but flux is okay.

elduderino1234

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 07:55:00 PM »

phish rules

WiLD

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 12:33:00 AM »

QUOTE (gottajiboo @ Jul 14 2003, 06:48 PM)
Okay.  Went to Rat Shack and picked up the following items...
15 watt Soldering Iron
Clear Flux Solder
Desoldering Braid
Vaccum Desoldering Bulb

They didn't have the flux paste so I went to Home Depot and bought a little can of BernzOMatic Lead Free Water Soluble Flux (for use with any lead free solder).

My LPC points are already filled but I need to figure out how I can easily melt them flat without pulling the points up and making them pointy.

One guy at the hobby store said that I may want to try re-tinning my iron and putting it on the points?

I wonder if I should use the little brush that came with the paste or if I should just use a toothpick (probably toothpick).

The water soluble flux does not say if it's electrical or non-electrical...

Also, I wonder how much flux to use, just a tiny bit or enough to cover the spikes completely.

Please let me know the best method you guys think I should take to flatten the spiked points out...

Thanks Again!

Ok, if your LPC points are alread filled with solder, just get the iron hot, put a tiny bit of flux on each point and then touch each point with the iron.  Each one should flatten out just fine after a second or so with a 15watt iron.  Make sure not to get solder between the LPC points as this will short the points and cause a frag.

gottajiboo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »

smile.gif

Everything works great so far and thanks for all your help.

Now if I just had a good guide to FTP this thing and backup the retail hd.

Slayers doesn't have a save option in the FTP settings and I cannot figure out how to get into this little guy.

Any help on this is appreciated, otherwise I just gotta poke around!

And to the earlier post......yes, Phish does rule...

Cheers!  beerchug.gif