MaxT2000

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« on: October 06, 2003, 01:44:00 AM »

Hi all

If I add 1 USB to port 4 of the xbox
will the IR unit a keybord and a mouse all work
on the 1 port ?

like a PC USB of is the XBox 1 port 1 device ?

MaxT2000

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 01:45:00 AM »

opps

If I add 2 USBs to port 4 of the xbox
on the 1 port ?

like a PC USB of is the XBox 1 port 1 device ?

Arakon

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 02:40:00 AM »

the xbox doesn't have driver for USB hubs, so unless you want to use them in linux, it won't work.

thomes08

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 07:53:00 AM »

i'm not saying your wrong.... but doesn't it work with PSO too?  and if so, how does it work.  Is it because it detects the 2 added usb ports as if you bought the little adapter?

thanks i was just curious

thomes08

attn:  that was my 666 post... thanks to skot for pointing it out.  But i will now post a new topic to change that.  dont want to have bad luck on my test tonight

This post has been edited by thomes08: Oct 6 2003, 06:07 PM

SKoT

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »

thomas has 666 posts....

MaxT2000

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 11:30:00 AM »

I will install LINUX.

on the 1 port If I wire "not a hub" 2 USB scks to port 4.

Or do I have to use a hub?

Dan Wysocki

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »

i would think that, much like a pc, it would run all those devices off the one usb port, cause if u buy a usb hub for ur pc, it isnt a problem to run all the devices of it is it???
i rekon, as long as you have linux on it, you should be fine.

Gud luck man

:beer:

Palmore

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 01:15:00 PM »

as far as I know, no it will not work, you CAN install a usb hub, there's a tutorial, in the well...tutorials.

but to run keyboard, mouse and IR you'd need to take up 3 of the ports one for each.

i.e., I know that the IR dongle is disabled once a controller is plugged into port 4, thus if you tried plugging in a keyboard into an "extended usb" connection alos on port 4 it would disable the IR dongle, and so on

to be safe use 3 seperate ports, I'm doing the DVD IR mod, and 2 backside ports, and will end up using ports 2-3 maybe for that.

just my 2 cents

MaxT2000

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »

ta,
suck it and see :)

Ben999_

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 04:03:00 PM »

Let me clear this up. According to usb standards you can have up to 128 devices hooked up to one port with a combination of whatever hubs, splitters,  etc. With the xbox you won't have a problem unless you want to use a controller in that usb port. The controller is a hub, and the xbox only allows one hub per controller port. So if you plug in the stuff at the same time then it won't work, but otherwise it should work fine with as many hubs as you got. I'm fairly sure, at least with Linux.

Splice

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »

Linux on the xbox doesn't care about the one-hub rule. That only applies when you're running the xbox normally, you can't run the controller through another hub and have it work.

I don't think you can wire two devices onto one port without a hub. I'm not sure about it, but I don't think so. Should be the same as a PC, whatever that is.

As for PSO, that shouldn't have anything to do with hubs. The adaptor is for one USB device to one Xbox port, no hub involved. Not sure if it would work with a hub (or two) in line.  And even then, the software only supports a keyboard, AFAIK.

Ben999_

• Archived User
Usb Mod
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

Yeh that's what I'm sayin'. The restriction is so that only 4 controllers are used at one time. You can splice as many usb connections onto one plug as you like, but only as many devices as the xbox can power for that port (500ma) will work. After that, you'll have problems. If you have externally powered devices then it won't matter as much, but that all depends on what you'd use it for.