xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Aladdin Xt Plus 2 Modchip Install  (Read 395 times)

tym2liv3

• Archived User
Aladdin Xt Plus 2 Modchip Install
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »

[quote name='shambles1980' date='Aug 21 2012, 01:10 AM' post='4870626']
check for continuity from pin 2 of the LPC to a screw hole on the xbox.. if you have continuity then its a 1.4.. if you have no continuity its a 1.5 and you would need to ground pin 2 and you may also need to supply 3.3v to pin 9 (you can get that from pin 15.)

Hello there, firstly thank you for all your replies, just got back from holiday and had a go at solving this last night. I did as you suggested and wired pin 2 to screw hole etc. now when I have the Modchip unplugged from the header pin I get flubber and boot to original bios which is an improvement.

The proble is that when the modchip is plugged into the header pin the xbox powers up the led on the fron goes green and stays green but no flubber, sound, nothing just a blank screen.

Would this mean that there is no bios on installed on the chip. It is meant to be preflashed with Evox M8plus BIOS 'M8plus_16.bin' but might not be.

Would the M8plus 1.6 bios not work with a v1.5?

If so how can I flash a new bios without a modded xbox?

Hope there is an answer to this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) thanks again.

Oh also when the modchip is plugged in the dvd tray will not eject, but it will when it is not and it boots to original bios.

This post has been edited by tym2liv3: Sep 6 2012, 09:20 AM

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »

the 1.6 bios seems to actually work reasonably well with all the xboxes. but the one they put on the chips usualy need updating..

you need to verify that it really is a 1.5. so you will need a multi meeter for that.

the 1.5's are missing ground on pin2. and 3v from pin 9..

like i said earlier you really do need to test it with a multimeeter. "measure to see if you get 3v from pin 9. if you dont you will need to power pin 9 with 3v.

It does sound a lot like your missing connections between the lpc and the chip.. which could be because its a 1.5 or simply because your soldering on the lpc isnot perfect..

However..

check your d0 wire isnt dolerd to a pad on the chip that it should not be.
and if you really struggle to get the chip working you may want to consider tsop flashing the console. which will give you the same end result but without having the chip

tym2liv3

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »

Hi there,

I did check the ground on pin2 and 3v from pin 9 and they did need soldering, so I did this and now I get video when the modchip is unplugged from the header pin and the xbox is booting the original bios.

However when the chip is plugged into the header pin I get no video just a blank screen, which is why I think there is no bios on the chip I got the chip from DealExtreme and have found reports of others saying no bios.

The chip is clearly on as the red LED is on and the xbox does not frag when switched on. But the dvd will not eject and ther is no video/audio.

Bu if the chip is not seated properly on the pins then it does do an on,off,on,off error.

I can't do a tsop flash as the reason I was adding the modcip was because I bricked my hard disk when I lost power and had it unlocked. And I don't have my eeprom to remedy this.

However I have now invested in an eeprom reader and shall attempt to recover it from the mobo. Still would like to get the modcip working or perhaps attempt a tsop flas as I want shot of the flubber mostly!! going to use the xbox as a mediaplayer and don't fancy that every time I switch it on.

Anyways thanks again for the advice.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »

did you supply 3v to pin 9 on the lpc?
The chips do need the power as well as the ground...

the error you mention  sounds more like the chip is not connected properly to the lpc.. the pin header has a dry or bad solder join, or that pin 9 still does not have power..

basically... you need to take the mother board out of the xbox..
flip it ipside down so yu see the legs of the pin header poking through the lpc.

then heat up the legs of the pin header 1 at a time with your soldering iron. and then press some solder on to the legs.. the solder will then melt on the legs and flow in to the holes of the lpc making your connection (you dont need a lot of solder and some flux will help)

all the legs have to be solderd to the lpc header...

your error really sounds like you have not done that. or that pin 9 is not supplied with power...

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Sep 8 2012, 02:24 PM

rilski

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

I don't wanna complicate things, but it seems you have the chip installed properly.

Now as for the chip itself, like you said, it's probably empty and has no BIOS file.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »

an empty bios should frag.
the only time i have seen the symptoms mentioned is when doing a quick solder install on a 1.0 where the pin holes already have solder in them and some of the new solder did not properly connect with the old solder.

so i really believe its a matter of one or more of the legs arent connecting correctly to the lpc.

tym2liv3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »

Thanks for all the advice, I have ditched the mod chip for now and got myself an EEPROM reader from e£ay.

Successfully recovered my EEPROM and soft modded my xbox, now have a 1tb xbox with latest xbmc installed

happy days  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks again

This post has been edited by tym2liv3: Oct 1 2012, 10:38 AM

tym2liv3

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »

Hello there, first post on here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif),

Tried installing the modchip last night (my first attempt), all seemed to be going well had continuity on d0 (attatched to point on rear of mobo), soldered header pin towards front of case, swithched on xbox got a red led on modchip. So thought I was good to go. I plugged the xbox into my telly and boom blank screen!!

Not sure what I did wrong. I thought my board was a v1.4 xbox upon further investigation turns out it may be a v1.5? So possibly needs lpc to ground fix.

But to be honest my knowledge of electronics is very limited most of what I know about the xbox I have found out through lots of searching (on here mostly ta) which I guess really brings me to my question;

Would the lpc not being grounded cause the loss of video signal, and if not then what could have caused this?

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:00 AM »

anything could of happened really. ? did you even flash the modchip? Did you solder the LPC correctly. Did you solder BT , correctly?

This post has been edited by deilzfcjk: Aug 18 2012, 10:39 AM

tym2liv3

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 04:35:00 AM »

Hi there thanks for the reply. As far as I am aware the chip is pre-flashed. Haven't soldered the lpc, would this cause the video loss. BT is soldered on to chip itself for "always on mode". chip in or chip out the screen is blank now, would the header pin and the un-soldered lpc cause this?

This post has been edited by tym2liv3: Aug 18 2012, 11:35 AM

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »

You did solder the header to the LPC, right?

rilski

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »

Check for any solder blobs and clean the soldered LPC area w/ Alcohol.

Re-install the modchip again just to make sure. It wouldn't hurt to try.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »

check for continuity from pin 2 of the LPC to a screw hole on the xbox.. if you have continuity then its a 1.4.. if you have no continuity its a 1.5 and you would need to ground pin 2 and you may also need to supply 3.3v to pin 9 (you can get that from pin 15.)

use a multimeeter though. check pin 9 for 3.3v when the xbox is on before you start rebuilding the lpc

(edit)

Hi there thanks for the reply. As far as I am aware the chip is pre-flashed. Haven't soldered the lpc, would this cause the video loss. BT is soldered on to chip itself for "always on mode". chip in or chip out the screen is blank now, would the header pin and the un-soldered lpc cause this?

just read that...

um yeah if its a lpc pin header you need to solder it in place "unless its a solderless adapter"
you would also want to remove a pin from the pin header (its the pin that would go in to lpc number 4) however you should not have a hole in the lpc for pin 4 so you really should have figured that out..