xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.6 Box Dead.  (Read 43 times)

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
1.6 Box Dead.
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »

The fact that you said it died after a power failure, and that the chip works in another box leads me to believe something was fried by a power surge.  I would desolder everything off the board just to rule out the solder jobs, if it still frags, maybe some part blew and I have no idea how you would hunt it down.

bongwater

• Archived User
1.6 Box Dead.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

Obviously you need 3.3v on the rst line and I'd look into the transistor at Q7R1 or the traces to and from to LPC pin 5. Also R8R1 on your pic looks iffy -  you can pick up 3.3v from the LPC pin 15. Also your ground isn't flowed very well on the pin.

Unless you restore RST it won't boot.

bongwater

• Archived User
1.6 Box Dead.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »

If you just link RST to 15 then you'll get different results possibly but it still won't work because it needs RST to be at ground while the power button is pushed in. There is a thread in the hardware forum about flashing red and orange you should read it tells what transitor. I would just pull that 6 legged IC off a dead board.

bongwater

• Archived User
1.6 Box Dead.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

ctgene

• Archived User
1.6 Box Dead.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »

I have a 1.6 MB that wasn't getting the proper voltage on pins 1 & 5...I read the thread several months ago mentioned above by bongwater and it concludes that some 1.6's can be fixed by lifting leg 6 on the transistor located at q7r1...I did this and sure enough got the 3.3v on pin 5...unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a fix yet for pin 1...so I got the MB on the shelf waiting for a solution  to come along