xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Fragging Xbox  (Read 32 times)

rastetter

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« on: January 20, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

my xbox was fragging...

I removed my modchip (pulled out of pin headers, d0 still connected)... and the xbox booted up

then i clipped the d0, and left the modchip in, and it booted up

I am gonna soft mod it for now, but anyone want to tell me where the short could be, or what the problem could be?

I looked on the back of the MB and couldnt find anything wrong

so maybe its something else?

edit: BTW its an xbox 1.6 with a smartxx with pinheaders and the rebuild thing on the back of the mobo

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »

You would have to show us pics of your board to tell you what is wrong.  The short answer is there is something wrong with your soldering, but if you show us photos then we can tell you where to look.

antz1970

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »

a frag is usually associated with your d0 being fine , but a problem with either your rebuild board or the lpc connection

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »

Antz1970 you are right that 9/10 times fragging means your d0 is fine.  But it is best to have newer people to modding recheck all there work just in case.

rastetter

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(rastetter @ Jan 20 2006, 05:17 PM) View Post

I looked on the back of the MB and couldnt find anything wrong

Chancer

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 05:15:00 AM »

Just because you looked on the back of the motherboard and assumed its ok does not mean it is.
Antz is right, no point messing with the D0 if FRAG is only with the chip its working.
If you are that sure the LPC and rebuild is A1 then you have to try another chip, as the one you have may be faulty.

dstealth

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »

Yeah, but its rarely ever the modchip itself. Post some pics of your motherboard and we'll see if we can spot any broken traces etc.

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »

It's true, I have had so many friends bring over boxes saying "I took your advice and rechecked everything and it is perfect, it must be the chip".......  It was never perfect, and never the chip.  If you can't find it, you can always just assume you are wrong and desolder then resolder everything.

rastetter

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 21 2006, 07:22 AM) View Post

no point messing with the D0 if FRAG is only with the chip its working.

didnt mess with D0.. I just clipped it to disable the chip (forgot theres a switch) but its fine now, probably going to keep it like this and not even bother

rastetter

• Archived User
Fragging Xbox
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 21 2006, 07:22 AM) View Post

Just because you looked on the back of the motherboard and assumed its ok does not mean it is.
Antz is right, no point messing with the D0 if FRAG is only with the chip its working.
If you are that sure the LPC and rebuild is A1 then you have to try another chip, as the one you have may be faulty.

I didnt mess with the d0, i clipped it... just to disable the chip... left it in there, and taped the wire

chip worked for over a year, one day it just stopped working...

so now its softmodded, and thats fine