xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xenium Clone Review  (Read 25 times)

cubistproject

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:09:00 PM »

I really feel like this post belongs here - this IS NOT a Xenium, and it functions differently, but it is extremely inexpensive, and MAY be viable alternative to the DuoX2/Aladdin as a chip to install for your customers, if its problems are not an issue, or if you install a switch as explained below...

The chip DOES NOT function the same as the original, as I mentioned, and can not be considered of the same quality/funciton set. I installed it on my 1.6b. It came with a blank 1 meg AMD EEPROM, and the Xenium 2.0 prereleash flashed. Install is easy - just the LPC with the D0 point, as there isn't SUPOSSED to be a need to turn off the chip as it is meant to boot the retail bios.

HOWEVER the first problem I encountered is with this very option. The I set up the first boot option from the TSOP, and named it Retail via the Xenium OS. I attempted to boot the stock bios, but the Xbox turned itself off and rebooted back to the Xenium OS, so I can't boot the retail bios... Maybe there is some way to fix this, but as I see it, you'd need to install an external switch - more trouble than it's worth for most.

I managed to then flash the new X2 (internal release) 512k bios. There is an option for the color on the LED. You are supposed to be able to select a different color for each bios, but it appears that the clone only has a pink light on it. So this function is unavailable on the clone.

The other issue is ACT2 - anti clone technology 2 - which is supposed to disable the chip eventually... I havn't been able to find any claims of this occurring, but I'm probably going to run this chip for a few months to see if it actually does crap out. I'll let ya know if it does :-P

The price on this chip is probably about $12-$24USD on this clone. I got it for $12 I'm pretty sure - a damn good deal, if you ask me smile.gif

-Cubix

cubistproject

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »

I forgot to mention that it is a Xenium Ice clone...

Yep! Works great. FTP etc. I didn't try SMB or Telnet, but they're not dependant on the chip's hardware. I'm still suprised that the retail bios didn't boot... However, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be difficult to flash a retail bios on the clone.
Many different flash options. This chip would run a Yoshi hacked X3 bios too.
Up to 4 different 256k bioses is nice too!
Looks like that later vesions of the Xenium OS may support HDloading of bioses too.
The recovery switch works, as does the recovery in the OS.

I got the latest Xenium OS, so I'm going to try reflashing it in the next few days.

I'm trying to get some old Aladdin Live+s working right now, tho, so it's resting away.

Here is a comparison picture hijacked from the Team Xodus website:

user posted image

cubistproject

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

That is the exact same clone that I have here. I can get 'em in unlimited quantities, but I don't know that anyone would want one.

I'm confused - the chip runs on EXACTLY the same hardware, with the same coding, so how the hell could the OS tell that the chip is a clone? Further more, how could it 'kill' itself when the recovery switch restores the chip to its original state. I'm thinking that the ACT2 shit is a falacy. The other post I made was almost immediately deleted by the Xenium forum mods.... l33t Bastards

cubistproject

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »

I guess I should revise that. I didn't boot off of the TSOP, so it may very well be coded differently... Maybe it was just that version of the OS on the 1.6b or something. Said 'OS 2.0 prerelease'

hippo

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 04:36:00 AM »

I dunno what Xenium has enabled and what they don't have enabled but I bet the protocols and proceedures are well documented to have the CPLD upgrade itself and or upgrade the bios flashrom remotely through a jtag chain or have xbe code in silicon or software do the nasty deed. That's one thing about coding chips it doesn't cost you a penny to implement features like this and it's damn fun to play with. Ya might wanna talk to Chris up there at Modchips.ca how handling the clones worked out for him, haha.

hippo

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »

I have one of the blue clones.
If there is act2 you would have activated it when you updated the OS, hehe.
I found the advance feature I was most interested in worked really crappy.
The clone a hard drive feature takes 45 minutes to copy c.

otherguy

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »

Have any of you tried soldering the E wire?
as you can see here there is a point on the back of the xenium that is labled E.
On the chamelons (before all the new fangled OS's), this wire was used to enable or disable the chip - for info on how to connect it - check out the chameleon instructions here.

One thing team xodus has always been bad at was documenting the little features that seem to come in handy in those extenuating circumstances (or at least they dont advertise the documentation very well). I'm going to assume that this wire serves the same purpose as it did back in the day (The chip's are pretty similar to begin with - so this should be a safe assumption).

Assuming the clones have implemented this feature as well - you should have a solution to your booting problem.

cubistproject

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »

You're the man, otherguy. I'll try it out once my fiancee goes to bed and post the results. This may be a decent chip to keep around yet!!!

Yeah, Xenium documentation is HORRID. I'm having a hard time finding info direct form the.

hippo

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »

To me it looks like 'E' goes to the BT point for Doux and reads the tray. I don't think it's connected to #CE or anything that would possibly help it dual boot on a 1.6. I may be wrong.  This chip can monitor both tray and power button but if you monitor one button and the machine comes on and the button you were monitoring wasn't pushed there is only one other possible button that was pushed, why monitor it. My clone has this pad too.

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 06:21:00 AM »

BLOODY HELL !

I found the advance feature I was most interested in worked really crappy.
The clone a hard drive feature takes 45 minutes to copy c.

Thanks hippo you just turned me off ordering a xenium. I was going to get an original and then when i saw all the clones available .... i thought about getting one to play with and i was also really interested in the hdd clone feature.

HackDaBox !

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 08:56:00 AM »

Yeah i have an original....although it doesnt seem to be working at the moment ( i think its because its a solderless edition? if possible (it came bundled with the solderless adapter..which takes d0 and puts it to the pin on the lpc which you usually remove....i think i saw a tut way back when where you bend that pin....solder your d0 wire to it and heatshrink...then install.  I may try out one of these...and yea i was dissapointed with the hd clone feature too...i was gonna clone one of my xbox hard drives...it didnt take 45 minutes to clone C:....it did take like over 30 hours...and F was still not done...so i said fuck this ....turned it off...reformatted...and used a second xbox and ftped everything

otherguy

• Archived User
Xenium Clone Review
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 09:18:00 AM »

Yea - i agree this clone hdd feature either needs to be improved or removed altogether - I was goign to clone a clients 120gb drive with their chip one time in the past - after about 8 hours it was still on C...
I've used the X3's (or maybe it was smartxx - cant remember) clone hdd feature and it worked quite well.

Did using the E pad help at all?