xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Aladdin Advance Xt Installation Tutorial  (Read 659 times)

Evil Ryu

• Archived User
Aladdin Advance Xt Installation Tutorial
« on: November 18, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »

http://ca.geocities.com/aladdinadvance/

*edit* - aladdin64 was kind enough to host this as well. If GeoCities is down, use this link: AladdinXT Installation Tutorial

*edit* - Bulan was kind enough as well to host this: AladdinXT Installation Tutorial - Mirror #1

I whipped it together really quick last night, and I'll clean it up and add a little more stuff (probably a tutorial for v1.0-v1.5 installs) when I get some spare time.

Mods,... let me know if you'd rather host it here - as GeoCities isn't really that great. Also, if the live link isn't allowed, please edit.

This post has been edited by Evil Ryu: Nov 24 2004, 05:04 PM

Firebaall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

I second the request!  Please host this tutorial, or at least make it a sticky!

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »

Will someone please host this....i couldnt go thru to that link...maybe too much bandwith ?.....if not could you please email it to me maybe a as a pdf?

[email protected]

hippo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »

Aladdin doesn't post any tutorials and neither do I. The ops would be wise not to post or sticky anything that depicts Lframe wired direct to ground on the 1.6 because of the life shortening effect this has.

Evil Ryu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 05:54:00 PM »

hmmm.... alrighty then.  

Firebaall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (hippo @ Nov 19 2004, 01:16 AM)
Aladdin doesn't post any tutorials and neither do I. The ops would be wise not to post or sticky anything that depicts Lframe wired direct to ground on the 1.6 because of the life shortening effect this has.

How does this have a "life shortening effect"?  Can you be more specific?

Firebaall

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »

Hippo, without you saying why, I looked up some info.  I found this thread:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...rounding+lframe

Which describes using a resistor between two points on the xbox motherboard.  Is this an an adequate remedy?  If so, it looks like an easy addition, and should have been mentioned in your post.

Dansken

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 03:57:00 AM »

Good tut, but you should have a picture of the alternate BT & L1 thats located at the bottom side of the motherboard. To many people seems to fry those resistors when they try to solder BT & L1 and i think it could be good for them to use the alternate spots.

aladdin64

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 04:30:00 AM »

I put up a mirror of that tutorial and it's located here:

AladdinXT install tutorial

I'm gonna update this LFrame/ground problem, and some more
altarnates L1/BT points...

Regards

hippo

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »

Which describes using a resistor between two points on the xbox motherboard. Is this an an adequate remedy? If so, it looks like an easy addition, and should have been mentioned in your post.

Yer not the boss of me.

Firebaall

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 08:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (hippo @ Nov 19 2004, 02:37 PM)

Yer not the boss of me.

No I'm not bud...

But you knew of this thread ( the one with the resistor fix ), and instead of helping with the extra info, or a suggestion you aren't being particularly helpful.  Your largest criticism of these Aladdin chips seems to stem from the lack of decent installation diagrams and instructions ( mine too! ).  Now that people are making a good effort to help others here with great quality images, you criticise.

I've seen alot of your posts, and you seem to be a guy that knows what he's talking about.  I wonder if your snipy post has something to do with the aladdin clones you are trying to sell.  If you don't want to help out the scene with these aladdin help threads, that's your own choice.

I'm sorry if you took my posts personally, no flame intended.

If anyone intends to install the Aladdin XT/XT lite in the "always on " config, I recommend you read through that thread linked above.  I'll be trying it out today, changing the Lframe ground to the vias resistor fix.

This post has been edited by Firebaall: Nov 19 2004, 04:46 PM

Evil Ryu

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

I had actually not read the thread you posted Firebaall, so it's good to know a little more info regarding this (having the LFrame tied to ground). I previously skimmed through some posts about this, but at the time there wasn't really much info on what effects it would have on the xbox. Good to know.

Quite honestly, the only reason why I would have installed an Aladdin chip so that it was always enabled was because you had to hold the power button for about a second to enable it. I know this doesn't sound like much, but for a person that doesn't ever plan on using their xbox with the modchip disabled, this becomes a bit of a pain in the a$$. The Aladdin XTs are a little different... you have to tap the power button very quickly (or use the eject button) to disable the modchip. Not quite as bad.

I'm starting to think that maybe we should remove the 'always on' tutorial that I posted for the time being. Until we can figure out a 'safer' method (quite possibly using the resistor).

Cheers

BTW - thanks for hosting those pages aladdin64!

This post has been edited by Evil Ryu: Nov 19 2004, 05:09 PM

Firebaall

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »

There's some good news brewing.  It seems there is an easy way to correct the grounded Lframe without having to install the resistor.  smile.gif

Catdog2 ( the author of the resistor thread ) replied that for our "always on" install, all that needs to be done is the cut trace, and then grounding the Lframe.  I'm just waiting for conformation on which specific Lframe point needs to be grounded.  This is very good news.

Evil Ryu

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

Honestly,... it's probably just as easy to wire up the BT & D0 to the modchip instead of going and cutting traces on the mobo.

Firebaall

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

Yea,

This is true, but I'm a real fan of having the chip always on.  It's only one trace on the motherboard, and it's easy to jumper again if you ever need to return the xbox back to it's stock config.  I think it is the very same trace that is cut when the original cheapmod modchip is used.

The only reason I can see that someone would want to turn off the mod chip, is to play on live.  But sooner or later M$ is gonna ban you somehow.  If Live is so important to you, a second xbox unmodded is the best way to go.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8