xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox  (Read 42 times)

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« on: July 30, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »

Like if I repaired the traces?

If it was working fine why would you need to repair any traces?
I left it on overnight to fill the drive

What do you mean by this?
you need to provide some more insight into what you have done to this box.
Leaving the xbox on overnight is not needed and not a good idea as the heat can cause damage.

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »

[/QUOTE]Bollocks. The Xbox has a working system to shut down when overheating, and that's in the weird cases where the fan stops blowing or something. A normal Xbox - modded or not - can run for years without needing to be shut off

Heet

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »

Your wrong chancer, Troed is right.  Ive had boxes on for months and there has never been a hiccup except for the lightning mishap.  The only chip that is a problem is the MCPX but it has only been problematic in isolated cases.  An easy fix for that is a heat sink.  

*id take Troeds advice over a MS tech any day.  beerchug.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

Well I still disagree and see the damage heat build up causes to electronics but every man to his own ideas and if you want to run your xbox continuously then its your box to risk it with. needless to say i won't be doing it to mine, I've repaired far too many pSu blow ups caused by heat stressed electrolytics changing esr to want to repair my own stuff.

Heet

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »

Heh, I posted and missed the point of the post.  The only *real* test you can do is remove all of the wires and see if it boots stock.  I mean, short of testing every point with a voltmeter....  Clean up your solder points too cuz they are shabby.  You are waiting too long to touch the solder to the work.  If it takes you more than 3 seconds to get that solder to the point, start over.  Wipe it on a damp sponge and redo it.  If it trees stock then you have some work to do.  Id say 95% of the time a box is fixable but it really depends on your abilities.  Check the points over and over if its still fraggin then you need to get ready to buy another mobo, the time required to find the culprit isnt worth the 50$ or so dollars to just replace it.  Good luck  beerchug.gif

Black_Like_a_Cat

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »

Well... after cleaning some points it booted stock.  I put the chip back in there and it booted to evox.  All I did was check to see if it booted, I haven't turned it on since.  I am interested in catdog2's comment about the wire length.  Something told me that they were a little long, but I was under a lot of pressure to get it out and it was like 2 in the morning.  The solders really aren't a testament to my capabilities.  I'm going to redo all the wiring with shorter wrapping wire tonight.  That way it will react better to the 33mhz signals.

I'm still not sure why it went down in the first place (barring the bad solder).  It might be that the length of the wires set up too much of a capacitance on the LFrame point, the overvoltage heated the LFrame junction inside the MCPX and shut the chip down.  Or it could be something a lot simpler, like someone kicked the box at night (...and didn't tell me) which shook a shotty solder loose.  I guess we may never know.

Is the way I did the mod correct though?  Should I have left LFrame floating?  I'd hate to see the same thing happen twice.

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »

Looking at the pictures (Its always difficult) I think you are bang on the right track re-doing the soldering as some on the LPC look not too good. I would just make sure the longer wire lengths do not rest on the heatsink when when you put it all back together. I don't think the length of them is an issue specially as you have had it working.
the heat build up overnight causes the board to expand slightly so any bad connections with the soldering on the lPC are slightly disturbed. Once these are all good they will not be affected again. (yes I know no-one else agrees with me about the effects of heat). I am sure you will sort this now whcih is the main thing beerchug.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 06:53:00 AM »

Chancer: You're wrong, but please continue living in your dreamworld.

Only says your opinion which means jack shit to me anyhow without any back up .
The good thing is my dreamworld and repairing electronic equipment (yes  a lot caused by heatstress) gets me a gross turnover of 117k (UKP) on average per year so its a nice dream to have.

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

The one in this thread didn't.

So how do you account for the bad LPC soldering only coming adrift after a run overnight, not due to the heat eh. Do me a favour and try think about it.
As for your own back up what do you do?
I noticed from other threads you have picked up on things and (ref AppleXv probs a while back) then interpreted them your way.
You should read what i said was i would not advise leaving a box on all night.
What i never said was it is responsible for the death of Xboxes or even this one without seeing it.
What I also DID say is excess heat is bad for electronic components, this I know its what I do.
By the way I was not bragging pointing out the fact that I run a business based on this stuff so am not just guessing.
By the way you may thing my opinion is wrong about the Xbox and you are right to say that but it does not make it wrong FACT just because you say so, unless you designed the thing.

Chancer

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 12:45:00 PM »

Now leave this be. You were wrong, and you will be wrong each and every time you claim it's bad for the Xbox to be turned on over night

Sorry but I don.t change my opinions and observations based on you telling me to leave it alone espescially as you are not qualified to lay down the law or have evryone believe you are right.
We will have to disagree and thats fine but dont try to censor my point of view, you are not talking to some jumped up little school kid now.

hippo

• Archived User
Can I Revive A 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 04:52:00 PM »

They say MS spent lot of money designing the air flow on the xbox. There's some factors that can affect air flow a couple well known issues are running without the top on ( or at least the drive trays installed ) and maybe the hard drive he added runs real hot, some do.

I'd first suspect a solder issue then maybe a burn in issue. They run demo Xboxes at the store in a plastic case day in and out without heat issues. Lframe is a negative active signal that only occurs for 2 33 mhz clock cycles every boot. A better test for lframe is flashing when it's active like 8 times.