xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: XboX Live!  (Read 61 times)

BlueMnky

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« on: June 10, 2002, 10:07:00 AM »

I was thinking, I read that when you log on to
XBOX live (Xbox Online Service) it will send all kinds
of info back to the M$ servers, for high score keeping,
stats and such.  Will they be able to ping or send a
signal to the Box and read if a modchip is installed or not??
dry.gif

Ronnie

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »

So what?What do you think will happen after that?

xSpiralx

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 07:03:00 PM »

Well obviously they will be able to detect it, the first generation mod chips for dreamcast would get fried by a peice of software they put in games. But those were piggy-backed and the code that was written was very shitty. And think about it, what will MS do? send you a letter saying you voided your warrenty? well no fucking shit, and if they send a small program to fry your chip, oh well, Pop the chip out of the socket program a new one, pop it in... and all is good, the glory of open source mod chips.

\Notes
I use a ATML PLCC chip, very small and easy to pop out.

MdRT

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 10:44:00 PM »

No.

Hammy

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2002, 05:05:00 AM »

Think about this.

Like me i registered my xbox on line for warrantry and gave them my serial number ohmy.gif

So if i read these forums right the serial number is in the xbox.

So it would not be hard for MS to check online that if you have a modded unit (if extender can do it) they can then get your serial number and lookup there database and if you have registered your xbox they will then have your details.

I am going to buy another xbox and mod it and i will not register it so if they can get the serial number who cares.

Hammy

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 05:15:00 AM »

Another quick thought wink.gif

If MS detect your mod they could send a simply command to format your hard drive and guess what! Most people would not have an image of there hard drive and then game over! biggrin.gif

I know there is a command that you can execute from a combo of buttons on the controller that will format your hard drive back to as new, deleting your save games and music files.

If anybody want the combo command let me know and i will find it as i have alot of xbox info from xbox sites saved some where on my hard drive and i will find it.

If this hidden command is there then what other hidden commands are there sad.gif

One other thing. Who bets on an xbox virus being released before xmas?

I think there will be a xbox virus within 3 months!!

xSpiralx

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 05:17:00 AM »

OMFG, why? It doesnt fucking matter, they cant do anything if they know that you modded your xbox. Once you purchase your xbox its your property.  Think of it this way, I hack my registry to add extra features to my Windows OS, MS cant take it back if they find out.

This is one of the most pathetic things I have heard.

xSpiralx

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 05:20:00 AM »

Quote (Hammy @ Jun 11 2002, 11:15 AM)
One other thing. Who bets on an xbox virus being released before xmas?

I think there will be a xbox virus within 3 months!!

Um, how the fuck are you going to get a virus? I highly doubt MS would spread viruses throuhg their software, if you get it from using the xbox as a internet terminal you probably downloaded a save game from a site that was not trusted, and if you get a virus from "backup" software you diserved it.

Hammy

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 05:33:00 AM »

Ok xSpiralx.

You are partly right.

Like me you can do almost an hack to your windows system,like me my windows 98 is hacked to the way i want it.

Make no mistake,THIS IS NOT A PC.

This is a console and as  such you are able to buy games and use it as is but when you start to modify ms code you are asking for problems.

Look at what sony did with the psx console,they made it eligal to mod the psx because the mod chip had sony copyrighted code in the mod chip.

One of my friends here in australia had a visit from sony and was told to stop modding psx units!

You will see that before xmas MS will crack down on anyone selling xbox mods or they will do what sony did!

The xbox unit is your property but using there copyrighted code to mod the xbox is NOT your right.

If you do not believe me do what i did through a friend that works for MS
and ask them!

BlueMnky

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2002, 07:23:00 AM »

Quote (xSpiralx @ Jun 11 2002, 11:17 AM)
OMFG, why? It doesnt fucking matter, they cant do anything if they know that you modded your xbox. Once you purchase your xbox its your property.  Think of it this way, I hack my registry to add extra features to my Windows OS, MS cant take it back if they find out.

This is one of the most pathetic things I have heard.

Simmer Down Now, Simmer Down

It was just a thought. No need to Curse HomeBoy.
You Yourself said they fried your DreamCast ModChip.
And who buys a modchip for the DreamCast!?!
Hahaha

"hacking" a registry  !=  modding a Box

biggrin.gif

monkeycrew

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2002, 07:41:00 AM »

ph34r.gif you fools!!!!
even if MS knew that  you had a modded box, and they knew your address what they gonna do?  huh? : blink:

Point 1 :
it's not illegal to mod. your xbox.
so if they find out it is modded (which btw is unlikely) they cant legally do ANYTHING about it, except maybe viod your warranty, which u did anyway when u chipped it!
Point 2 :
IF, (and this is an unlikely if,) MS decided to take the law in their own hands and create some code to destroy your chip (whci would be freakin' hard to do!!) simply remove it and put in a new one with new code which will no doubt be replaced to fix the loop hole.
Point 3 :
If MS distribute a virus type program in their software or via XBOXOnline, then they get their asses kicked by the law.

XBOX live is not a real threat to your xbox.

The only thing that cold prevent you playing games online would be if CDKEYS were introduced...  sad.gif

xSpiralx

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2002, 02:09:00 PM »

I dont really care, MS can suck my dick and have fun with that. MS is the root of all evil, macs and linux yo.

DBG

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2002, 02:24:00 PM »

Just for anyone that cares, MS has not filed a patent for the xbox system/code (believe it or not), so reverse engineering is legal at this point. Also, it's against the law for them to identify a chip's content, even if it's for the purpose of showing its their modified code. If you havn't already given MS your serial number, then don't... if you have, no big deal. They don't really have the power to stop the home user, they will most likely go after the source.. but since you can make your own modchip with a little bit of work, it looks like they won't have a way to stop it anyways...

viva la modchip!

MdRT

• Archived User
XboX Live!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2002, 02:50:00 PM »

Hahaha funny I never registered my xbox since its release in the US. And IF MS tries to pull some of the things being said, they will be making a lot of gamers rich after getting sued to hell.
There is NO WAY they can know, absolutely NO frggin way that I know of can they access that information. If they could we would see people flashing from a CD or something similar.
Anyways why would they care, I buy my games, and I know they are going to make you register an account and have the cd key information per user. If they don't they are total idiots. Either way don't worry about it.