xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Marking Accurate Cut Templates  (Read 101 times)

OCF

• Archived User
Marking Accurate Cut Templates
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

Im modifying a DVD player case to house the Xbox insides and I need some help designing the faceplate/backplate, Im having a lot of trouble finding a way to efficiently and accurately mark out the needed holes for ports, switches, DVD tray etc. I initially tried just outlining around the item I was making the hole for but soon found it out to be very inaccurate method. I also tried measuring the ports (1.1x2.1 HxWcm) and marking this out on the faceplate but again it is hard to get accurate measurements when working with such small sizes and using a pencil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I thought maybe designing templates on a CAD program would be good so I downloaded Alibre Design, its hard to use to say the least but then again I have zero experience when it comes to image editing or any sort of similar design programs. I was able to make a basic template for the controller ports, but how do I go about getting this made in to some usable template that will actually work.

I have a dremel and a large toolkit, for plastics I've always used the small high speed cutting bits they are a lot easier to use when cuttings plastics compared to something like a cut of disc.

How do you go about marking up and cutting accurately?

thanks in advance

OCF

Beauregardy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

well

what are you trying to cut....

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »

lol sorry I was rushing inital post completley forgot, faceplate is plastic, backplate is metal Im assuming steel, similar to the chassis material of a PC case.

Case Picture may give you better idea of construction, if you need further pics, inside of case etc just ask and I'll snap a few.

(IMG:http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1672/2877liteonlvw5045sx2.th.jpg)

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »

Im trying to find a good plastic filler, Cant seem to find Bondo in the UK, does anyone know a decent filler that I can get here?

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

bump, anyone had experience with the range of fillers from "Isopon"

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »

I just read this guide on fillers, Im trying to decide whether I should be using a polyester based filler or Aluminium metal based filler, the Aluminium filler is said to be more stable and used on applications such as plastic bezels. I cant seem to find a metal based filler but this
filler seems to be ok although it doesn't specify use on plastics.

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »

umm this is a really simple question I need answered and no one seems to be able to answer it, can anyone just outline how they go about marking out the right size holes needed to cut to mount xbox components e.g. controller ports, p/e buttons

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »

anyone!!??

d00msday_jesus

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »

dude. chill. measure, protractor, compass, ruler.

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

hmm ok, so its as simple as marking by hand, ive just had bad experience with getting measurements wrong on previous mods  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(OCF @ Jan 8 2008, 09:17 PM) *

hmm ok, so its as simple as marking by hand, ive just had bad experience with getting measurements wrong on previous mods  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yeah I understand where you comin' from. Shit I hate fucked measurements, so yeah Im with you, we defintely need to figure out a good method. But like they just said: CMC, (Chill Measure Cut)

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »

I found a decent way even if it is a bit tedious.

I used a post it note pressed it around the front of the controller ports to give a clear marking of the port size and shape, I then literally scribbled round the edge of the post it note while its still pressed up against the ports this gives a clear bold outline of the edge of the ports. Cut the port template out carefully and glue in desired location, draw around the template to give accurate cut lines.

seems a bit long and now that I think about it drawing around the ports themselves would be an easier method but that can be inaccurate if your not very careful.

anyone else got any good methods for measuring and marking?

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »

I had a couple of questions that just aren't being answered in my other thread maybe I'll have some better luck here -

Is there a limit on the length that you can extend the Controller Ports/P/E board/DVD Drive power cable.

Is it possible to buy adapters to extend the the Ports/PE board/DVD drive cables, I'm not very confident with my soldering skill.

Is it ok to mount a HD at an odd angle or even upside down, without any detrimental effect on its working.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

Yeah, you run a cable drop with them cords. Yeah, you can make em long as you need to, but make sure you are using some good wiring material. And remember, whenever you do that type of measuring where you draw around something, always cut inside the outline, always. That way it's a tighter fit.

OCF

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

Yeah, you run a cable drop with them cords. Yeah, you can make em long as you need to, but make sure you are using some good wiring material. And remember, whenever you do that type of measuring where you draw around something, always cut inside the outline, always. That way it's a tighter fit.

what did you mean by run a cable drop with them cords?

and any answer about running the HD in an odd position, also what type of wire is best to use for extending the cables I mentioned?

This post has been edited by OCF: Jan 9 2008, 07:07 AM