xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Dvd:how Do I Take It Apart ?  (Read 159 times)

RuFf rYdA

• Archived User
Xbox Dvd:how Do I Take It Apart ?
« on: September 02, 2003, 03:06:00 AM »

just buy a new dvd drive

bborski

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 03:13:00 AM »

smile.gif

GamezMan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

"Dont belive the hype"
It's not at all hard to do, the thomson drive is quite easy to do.

I done mine from the tut's here, http://www.xbox-scen...0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0   then look under "Xbox Hardware Addons/Modifications" and u will see at least 2 tuts for the thomson pot tweek.

I cant remember if they explain how to take it apart but if not its easy to figure out.

About the philps drive, well my 2nd xbox was a phillps and it was very fussy with games from day 1, so i tryed the pot tweek, turning the screw LESS than a quarter of a turn, and that was it !
My phillps drive NEVER worked agian, even after many hours of just trying to put it back where it was in the beginning.

I would never try to mess with a phillps agian, but the thomsons are ok. if u turn the screw a bit too much it will not mess up the drive .

And the resin, yeah u need to scrach it off, a very small screw-driver will do it.

Take ur time and relax, and u can do this.

Peace

seramtia

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 01:32:00 PM »

I have a thomson DVD drive and attempted the pot tweak

Gave up after not been able to turn the screw
was that because i didn't scrap enough of the resin off?

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »

The screw for the pot is covered with red resin, which does need to get scraped off in order to be able to move the screw at all. I couldn't get my multimeter to read the Ohms right, so I just guessestimated and moved it a quarter counter-clockwise

This is a great way to get a drive that doesn't work.   I've done this tweak a couple times on good drives and it wasn't worth the hassle.  If your other option is to toss it in the trash, then fine, but I frankly don't believe these guys myself.  If your laser is failing - which is very common on thomson drives - no tweak is going to work.  Buy a new samsung, and put the thomson in the can...

matcapir

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 09:50:00 AM »

Here's the deal... My thompson was beginning to die (problems reading originals and most other media)  So I decided to give the tweak a try.  Well, I scraped the resin and before I even got a chance to tweak anything the little blue wire broke off.  Well, I have to say that this has to be the worst factory soldering job I have ever seen because after closer inspection of the red wire, I noticed that it was barely attached.  Well, I soldered them back onto their respective spots and decided to hook everything back up to see if it would work.

It ran a little noisy, not sure why, but worked fine.  I then ejected the disc and closed the drive back up.  When I then turned the xbox back on, it went to the MS menu screen just fine but wouldn't eject the drive.  I also noticed a slight burning smell from the dvd drive.  I figured I would throw the problem out there to see if anyone had any ideas.  

I am planning on getting a new drive, but enjoy just tinkering with this stuff.  If anyone thinks they might have some suggestions, please respond.  I want to work on it so please don't just say that I should buy another one, I'm already planning on it.

THanks

dvl

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »

I just bought a box off of ebay today that I'm thinking of pot tweeking.  It's half way works already, so I figure what the hell?  If it won't work, a have a 616 that I've been waiting to mod.

matcapir

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (matcapir @ Sep 9 2003, 06:50 PM)

I am planning on getting a new drive, but enjoy just tinkering with this stuff.  If anyone thinks they might have some suggestions, please respond.  I want to work on it so please don't just say that I should buy another one, I'm already planning on it.

Got my sammy 616-T from Hippo at clevermods.  Installed beautifully and is a hell of an upgrade from the stock drive for 75 bucks.

Anyway, never figured out what was wrong with the old drive.  I assume I knocked something loose somewhere in my modding because I never really got very far with the pot tweak.

thanks anyway.

whiffin

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 01:48:00 AM »

laugh.gif

Wasn't so funny at the time though!