xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Whats A Momentary Pushbutton Switch?  (Read 114 times)

Xman66

• Archived User
Whats A Momentary Pushbutton Switch?
« on: May 26, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

the topic says it all.  B)

Emc1683

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »

My first instinct would be to say no.

Momentarys are for like on/off switch mod.

From what I understand it makes connection to sned signal to turn on or off. Just quickly and "momentary".

I would think you would need something like a regular switch so it constant.

I think something like this would work. A SPST rocker switch
(IMG:http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/275/275-693.jpg)

This post has been edited by Emc1683: May 26 2003, 08:42 PM

Xman66

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »

ok thankx man

Valentin Zukovsky

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 01:59:00 PM »

He's wrong.  If you were to use a momentary pushbutton (set in the open positions), and hold it down when you start the xbox, it would work just fine.

Emc1683

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 02:05:00 PM »

Ok, I wasnt sure. I thought you would need a constant, as opposed to a momentary. like a reg on off switch. My bad....

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »

Well you are mostly right. Yeah the momentary would work but how long do you need to hold it down for the bios to loaded in memory? The rocker switch is the way to go.

XshadowZxX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »

ima use those switches that stick out.

methadone_pretty

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 03:27:00 PM »

it'd work if u used logic and latched it, its doable - if u know what ur doing.

Took_The_Red_Pill

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 03:37:00 PM »

Well, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.  My advice is go with a simple toggle switch.  If you want something unique they have toggle switches with military covers.  These would be like what you see when you watch movies where an air force pilots lifts a red covers, flips a switch, and a missile drops off the wing.  I've seen them on the computer mod scene at directron.com (i think).  I still haven't seen them on an Xbox yet.  Just a suggestion.

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »

HHEHEHE those would be cool.

methadone_pretty

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2003, 03:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (Took_The_Red_Pill @ May 27 2003, 01:31 AM)
Well, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

best piece of advice to anyone with regards to anything really

OllieD

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2003, 03:58:00 PM »

Dont It Call The Bios When U Boot Games Tho ? When My Matrix Comes Misaligned  After Bootup I Cant Load Any Other Apps. So It Would Be Annoyying To Have To Hold The Button Every Time You Want To Boot / Change Apps.
Latching Switches Are Better :P I Have 2 Illuminated Latching Green Buttons In My Box. With The Numbers Painted On Them In 'Glow In The Dark Paint'. So When The Switch Is On They Glow Green With Black Numbers And When The Switch Is Off They Are Black With Glowing Numbers :D. Theyre Mounted On The Front Next To Controller Port 1 Btw. (Wud Be A Waste Of Time Makin Nice Switches And Then Stickin Em On The Back Lol.

Took_The_Red_Pill

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2003, 05:53:00 PM »

maybe using my military switch in conjunction with the controller on/off switch would be cool?

Emc1683

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »

You mean having one of the switches with the guard on it on your controller? Thats not a bad  idea, you wouldnt accidentally turn it off mid-game.  Thats why I changed the placement of mine. It was in the back screw hole, but I moved it inbetween the d-pad and the right joystick (S controller). Less chance of accidents.

dzv

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »

The momentary switch does work.  D0 only needs to be grounded for about 1-2 seconds  for the BIOS to load into memory.  This is actually a fairly good way to implement an Xbox Live safety switch.  If you're little brother/girlfriend/dumb friend decides to boot your Xbox and go on Live when you're not around, it's not likely they'll hold the button during bootup, and therefore they'll only load the MS BIOS.

@OllieD The reason you have problems with the MatriX is because it's not just D0 that is losing contact, it's the LPC pins, too.  It seems that even though the BIOS is fully loaded into memory (so we've been told) there is still some sort of communication on the LPC bus when you run a program.  I've done some experimenting...

Boot from LPC, then unground D0:  Apps and games run
Boot from LPC, then unplug LPC chip:  Apps and games do not run
Boot from LPC, then unplug LPC chip and ungound D0:  Apps and games still do not run
Boot from LPC, then replace LPC chip with another (same BIOS):  Apps and games do run
Boot from LPC, then replace LPC chip with another (different BIOS):  Apps and games do not run

In fact, it seems to me like even though the BIOS is loaded into memory, the .xbe's still need direct access to the BIOS chip.  This seems strange, and contrary to what I had been led to believe about the way the Xbox BIOS is handled.  I think I might start a new thread about this, to see what others have to say about it.

In summary, the momentary switch for D0 will work, but the chip (or another chip with the same BIOS) must be connected to the LPC for apps and games to run.

This post has been edited by dzv: May 27 2003, 02:04 AM