xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Patched Xdvdfs_maker With Cross-linking  (Read 707 times)

WiSo

• Archived User
Patched Xdvdfs_maker With Cross-linking
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2006, 05:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(VooD @ Apr 13 2006, 01:27 PM) View Post

The first file is a 4gb file, I think because is the filesystem maximum filesize. Maybe that works with toca because there are non essential files over the 4gb mark, but I can warrantee you there LOTS of games that wont work if you do that.

Exact. Therefore I mentioned only for games smaller 4 or 4,7GB (can't remember). But note I took this info from the Toca3 thread.

QUOTE(VooD @ Apr 13 2006, 01:27 PM) View Post

About virtual drive, I had no idea. Looks nice, but what´s the advantage over just simply copy the files directly to a directory on the xbox?

That it works regardless of the copy protection. No longfilename protection etc. But of course if possible the file option is preffered.

IG_Chris

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 14 2006, 12:33 AM) *

Hiya, I have yet another new build, I'll upload it with the same name (alpha2) not to break existing links.

+ Added the ability to read the source files directly from an existing xISO file or a backup XDVD. This includes the new switch -partial <Start path> to specify if our root directory is located elsewhere (IE useful if the source is a multi-game disc and we only need one game). This basically does what Dumper and Extract already do.
+ Added some missing checks. Now it'll throw an error if the disk gets full instead of just quitting. (Thanx to IG_Chris, maybe this is why your backup didn't work)
+ Added the generation of a simple text file containing the layer break sector for DL isos. The generated file will have the same name as the ISO with an added .LB extension.
+ Fixed some bugs with DL file placement. The ISOs were correct and readable but the file placement wasn't the most optimal. Specifically, this happened when using -pad and no OEIBuf, when not using a layout file, and when data on L1 was bigger than L0. This last situation happens with Rallisport Challenge 2, however in this case it only added some small unneeded padding at the beginning, which didn't break the optimization.
Tested it with an ISO from Kingdom under fire and worked fine, also made an ISO using only the \movie dir from a Ninja Gaiden Black backup disc, this is obviously useless but anyway the ISO was correct

Sleep. Now. G'night!

Great job!
Things we need now to make this the ultimate Xbox backup experience (I always wanted to say the ultimate ______ experience heh):
-A PC program that can rip a xbox disc and it's layout over ftp
-Someway to get dvd Decrypter or whatever image burning program to automatically use the layer break number without having to enter it in
-A Uber-cool GUI that ties all of these things and XDVDFS together (be able to do them individually, or all togther in a row, via a step by step wizard)

Then I would never use another program with my xbox other than taht ever agian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

IG_Chris

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »

Thinking about that, MooGUI is in fact now outdated, and a new GUI should be made. And while we're at it, why not make it cross-platform? I would be willing to make this, but I would like some design ideas first (what it should look like, how stuff is arranged, etc.) If it is going to be cross-platform, I would probably make it in SDL for simplicity's sake, so that would mean no file toolbar at the top (unless you guys really want one, then I could custom implement it, which wouldn't be TOO hard).

This post has been edited by IG_Chris: Apr 14 2006, 09:04 PM

VooD

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

MooGUI is not so outdated, in fact it does almost everything you wanted IG_chris. Even transfering files via ftp from the xbox.  And the layout editor included in MooGUI is HARD to improve. It´s already practically perfect.

So, the only thing I myself would like to see on MooGUI is just a couple of new buttons in order to follow newest mwg40 improvements.

And about multiplatform..., just launch it using wine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Anyway you´re free to start a new GUI from scratch, but probably it will take long time until barely resembles all MooGUI functionality at the moment.

And err..SDL?, I´m not a coder, but isn´t that supposed for coding games?. Maybe you should just use ansi c and something like GTK in order to keep graphical interface compatibility between system (though I hate gtk look in windows lol)

This post has been edited by VooD: Apr 15 2006, 12:18 AM

mwg40

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2006, 03:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(IG_Chris @ Apr 14 2006, 02:38 PM) View Post

Great job!
Things we need now to make this the ultimate Xbox backup experience (I always wanted to say the ultimate ______ experience heh):
-A PC program that can rip a xbox disc and it's layout over ftp
-Someway to get dvd Decrypter or whatever image burning program to automatically use the layer break number without having to enter it in
-A Uber-cool GUI that ties all of these things and XDVDFS together (be able to do them individually, or all togther in a row, via a step by step wizard)

Then I would never use another program with my xbox other than taht ever agian biggrin.gif .

Well i was almost sure somebody would say something about FTP access  tongue.gif  I'll see what i can do... not rip the layout but use ftp as the source for files.
I tried to get info on the MDS file format (used by alcohol 120% and dvd decrypter/isoburn to specify info such as layer break) but i couldn't find any, i'm far from being the best info-hound tho...
About GUIs, let's hope mooGUI gets updated or its source code released, or Qwix2 is released soon. I wish i could do GUIs...

QUOTE(VooD @ Apr 14 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post

MooGUI is not so outdated, in fact it does almost everything you wanted IG_chris. Even transfering files via ftp from the xbox.  And the layout editor included in MooGUI is HARD to improve. It´s already practically perfect.

So, the only thing I myself would like to see on MooGUI is just a couple of new buttons in order to follow newest mwg40 improvements.

And about multiplatform..., just launch it using wine tongue.gif
Anyway you´re free to start a new GUI from scratch, but probably it will take long time until barely resembles all MooGUI functionality at the moment.

And err..SDL?, I´m not a coder, but isn´t that supposed for coding games?. Maybe you should just use ansi c and something like GTK in order to keep graphical interface compatibility between system (though I hate gtk look in windows lol)

That's right, I think it would be nice if it had a moveable Layer Break mark in the layout editor (fixed by default i think), and maybe it won't have any kind of crosslinking support but at least I hope it doesn't toss an error if it ever finds a line starting with "L". ISO read wouldn't hurt...

Yuuko

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

Something that keeps bogussing me : let's say that the layout file describe a file of 100Kb, but the corresponding "physical" file is less or more than 100Kb, ie. physical size does not match the expected size.

Is there an error message coming up, or is the physical file simply extended or truncated to match the expected size as stated in the layout file ?

mwg40

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Yuuko @ Apr 18 2006, 09:06 AM) View Post

Something that keeps bogussing me : let's say that the layout file describe a file of 100Kb, but the corresponding "physical" file is less or more than 100Kb, ie. physical size does not match the expected size.

Is there an error message coming up, or is the physical file simply extended or truncated to match the expected size as stated in the layout file ?

None, there should be no reason why the file could have a different file size if you're using the right layout, however it's neither truncated nor extended, the file size in the target ISO is the actual file size not the one defined in the layout. Still, probably it's a good idea to add a warning if the file size is different so the user knows the target ISO doesn't match 100% the layout

IG_Chris

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(VooD @ Apr 14 2006, 01:23 PM) View Post

I'd also like layout ripping added, and I think it would be neat if the wizard were modified to allow ftp stuff too (even though I never use the wizard).

And about multiplatform..., just launch it using wine tongue.gif

Good idea, but some people apparently don't like it, or don't know how to use it maybe (see earlier post from linux user not able to use mooGUI).

SDL is mainly used for games I suppose, but it can be used for anything. It's just a general purpose 2D graphics (as well as many other features) API. I'd much rather use C++ than C. I don't like GTK look either, and with SDL I could make a uber-cool custom look, although I'm not going to make a new GUI if a new version of MooGUI is going to come out.

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 15 2006, 11:58 PM) View Post

Well i was almost sure somebody would say something about FTP access  tongue.gif  I'll see what i can do... not rip the layout but use ftp as the source for files.

Would it use the ftp to determine the correct file order? That would be most sweet.

If a new version of MooGUI does come out (keep your fingers crossed) I would like to see layout ripping via ftp, support for mwg40's added features, and a better wizard.

Good luck with the MDS info search. smile.gif

VooD

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Yuuko @ Apr 18 2006, 04:06 PM) *

I think MooGUI detects that kind of errors, and prompts for user intervention. I´m not 100% about that one, but I am about some others.

And well, about those ftp comments...mmm, that would imply you have a dashboard able to dump the layout...and to my knowledge there´s not any (yet). On the other hand I know CloneXB was working in porting the layout dumper as a library and he even got modified XBMC to support layout dumping, but I´m not sure about if XBMC team added the code to the main branch.

This post has been edited by VooD: Apr 19 2006, 03:28 AM

mwg40

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(IG_Chris @ Apr 18 2006, 08:22 PM) View Post

Would it use the ftp to determine the correct file order? That would be most sweet.

If a new version of MooGUI does come out (keep your fingers crossed) I would like to see layout ripping via ftp, support for mwg40's added features, and a better wizard.

Good luck with the MDS info search. smile.gif

I don't think it's possible to determine the file order from a FTP session, because there are so many dashboards out there, every one using its own FTP-daemon engine, i really don't think they all return the directory listing in physical order and even if they did, they list only files in the "actual" directory, however it would be cool if some of them could send the layout of a disc, maybe with a Site command, or if they could include sector and size info with the normal directory listing but i don't know if that can be done, i guess it breaks the standard for ftp file listing.
Lemme think out loud.... Qwix 2.0 is supposed to have support for layouts, the actual Qwix integrates with Avalaunch for operations like boost mode or game management, if the new Qwix will support layouts and will be integrated with a new Avalaunch, perhaps they will include some Site commands for layout management, who knows? that would be sweet, even if it could mean the end of good ol' xdvdfs_tools  sad.gif

Yuuko

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 19 2006, 01:13 AM) View Post

Still, probably it's a good idea to add a warning if the file size is different so the user knows the target ISO doesn't match 100% the layout

I second that.

QUOTE(VooD @ Apr 19 2006, 03:30 AM) View Post

I think MooGUI detects that kind of errors, and prompts for user intervention. I´m not 100% about that one, but I am about some others.

And well, about those ftp comments...mmm, that would imply you have a dashboard able to dump the layout...and to my knowledge there´s not any (yet). On the other hand I know CloneXB was working in porting the layout dumper as a library and he even got modified XBMC to support layout dumping, but I´m not sure about if XBMC team added the code to the main branch.

Maybe it could be worth a check,  because, even if NTFS is secure, still, some files can be damaged for some reasons, even with the right tools. Even, this could have lead to non working iso while XDVDFS wasn't the cause.

About XBMC, I follow CVS builds, and never saw in the changelogs this feature added, but remember talks about it.

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 19 2006, 05:31 AM) View Post

That would be sweet, even if it could mean the end of good ol' xdvdfs_tools  sad.gif

No way.  mad.gif

VooD

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 19 2006, 06:31 AM) View Post

even if it could mean the end of good ol' xdvdfs_tools  sad.gif

Qwix was always a quick tool for making backups, so even if they ever support layouts, MooGUI+xbdvdfsf_tools will remain as the combination of choice for those wanting a bit more of control over their backups (in addition to layout optimized multigame dvds tongue.gif )

simonko

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

Anyone tired doing Tomb Raider Legend with this?  or Is it still better to do it the Qwix way?  Will I see a speed difference doing it? Any problems?

Doing it with Xdvdfs with crosslinking and layout opti-1 from moogui:  crosslink att1_w.xmv, att2_w.xmv, att3_w.xmv, death_w.xmv, layer1.002

Yuuko

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

While TRL can't be burned into a single layer disc, I came across a ripping kit which ripped some movies (the widescreen ones) and crosslinked them so that it would fit on a DVD5.

The interesting part, and also the angering one, is that it used xvdvfs, with a custom layout file and padding.

So, I burned the iso and played the game, and speeds were perfect, no problem at all.

Now, I can't stand ripped games, and I don't like the way xdvdfs was used, but if you use xdvdfs, you can consider yourself safe.

As for Qwix, I never used it, so I dunno.

wmxp

• Recovered User
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »

Some little things:

1) I was a little dissappointed that WiSo didn't credit Rmenhal at all for the ISO ripper code. That's not cool amigo. =\

2) You want to know what the advantage is of using the Virtual DVDrom function of NKpatcher? It gives you two useful features. First, it effectively bypasses the 42 character file limitation of the FatX file system for backing up games, since all the files are saved within ISOs with file names preserved. Second, it allows for stubborn titles with anti HD loading code to run from the hard drive. (Such as NBALive 06, Race Driver 3 or Hulk Ultimate Destruction)  Granted ACL patches are usually available to remedy that problem. (Speaking of that, is there an HD loading patch for NBA 06?)

All modern softmods make use of Nkpatcher now, but it must be compiled with the Virtual DVDRom flag on to make use of it. The "default.xbe" dumped with the ISOs files the new dvd2xbox creates, is the "attach.xbe" from Rmenhal's Drive Image Utilities
Note, that this XBE is useless to modchip users. (Unless someone, possibly Xecuter, implements the code into a bios/modchip OS.

[/end thread hijack] My bad.

Now, back on topic. Two questions:

1) For titles greater than 4 gigabytes, you're obviously going to need both the ISOs output files that dvd2xbox / iso ripper creates. Once you get them both on your PC, is it possible to link them together? Say using the "join files" function from something like THIS?

And the resulting burn of that image would be a 1:1 DVD9? I don't own any games large enough to test this myself. =\

2) About the layout optimize options for XDVDFS / MooGUI. I understand what type 1 and 2 do, but I don't fully understand when it's appropriate to choose what. I've been using Type 1 for all my titles. My guess is, that you would take a glance at the Layer 1 section of a .lyt file and make your choice based off the sectoring order. If that is the case though, I don't see why MooGUI wouldn't have implemented a check itself and made the appropriate option choice. Am I way off base here?

Can somebody give an example of a title that you would use Type 2 with?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9