xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Won't Backup Work In My Xbox But Fine In 2 Other Xboxes?  (Read 81 times)

Jarrodinabubble

• Archived User
Why Won't Backup Work In My Xbox But Fine In 2 Other Xboxes?
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »

WHat kind of DVDrs are you using? That sounds like the problem to me.

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

well i don't really see a problem.

Your "backups" work on YOUR Xbox.

Their "backups" work on THEIR Xbox.

they make their backups you make yours......

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

They are probably using DVD+R and you are using either DVD-R or DVD+R and setting the booktype to DVD-ROM.

Also LiteOns are known as the least compatible burners in the world.

DaBiscuit

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 06:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(ComputerUser @ Dec 22 2005, 12:19 PM) View Post

Why does it matter? Cause we'd like to play THEIR backups at MY house every now and then...

We're using the EXACT same brand of DVD+R's. (Imation, OfficeMax, Staples, they all seem to work).

We're also using the EXACT same burning programs/settings - UltraIso.

Didn't realize LiteOns where the least compatible *shrug*

Lite-on drives are horrible. You really can't expect your discs to work in anything but the PC, with one of those. As to your backups, you should be using DVD-R not DVD+R since the -R are the more compatible disk. You also  should be using decent quality media, like Ritek or Taiyo Yuden.

I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with playing them at a friends house, while you are there, but of course you should not be "sharing" games. xbox-scene forums do not endorse piracy, and nor does this member.

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(ComputerUser @ Dec 22 2005, 07:19 AM) View Post

Why does it matter? Cause we'd like to play THEIR backups at MY house every now and then...

We're using the EXACT same brand of DVD+R's. (Imation, OfficeMax, Staples, they all seem to work).

We're also using the EXACT same burning programs/settings - UltraIso.

Didn't realize LiteOns where the least compatible *shrug*

Cheap media like Imation, OfficeMax, Staples and Memorex brands are IPB Image

You shouldn't be so cheap and buy good media. There is no excuse to buy fecal matter with all the sales that I've seen in the past month on good media. Office Depot had Verbatims for $12.99 for a 50 pack last week. Also sticking with only DVD-R media will help you alot because +R has always had compatibility issues.

Also a good burner can be had for around $40. Pioneer Black IDE DVD Burner Model DVR-110DBK - OEM
That and a good program like Imgburn that does a awsome job of burning images.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

@the original post, you need to spend some time reading the link in my sig about who really makes store brand labels and what general quality expectations you can have from each.  In addition which DVD-ROM drive do you have in your XBOX?

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(ComputerUser @ Dec 22 2005, 05:19 AM) View Post

Yep, and you haven't told me what brands of DVD drives your XBOXs have in them.  If you are using +R media, and any of you have Samsungs in your XBOX and you aren't setting the booktype you will also have problems.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

If I remember correctly the PC you have has an NEC burner it. this burner automatically changes the booktype of DVD+R  which is why your back ups play on all xbox drives
Your pals burners do not change the booktype and your Xbox drive will be a samsung so thats why it doesn't read your mates discs.
Mr Ed gave you the answer but you missed his point.

CalypsoRaz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

Well ya know, there are a few things you could use to cure this...

1.) Get a mod chip and then a bigger HDD to backup your games there and stop wasting media.
2.) Get a new DVD Burner. And dont try to say that you dont have the money, because you can pick up a new Sony, Toshiba or NEC on Newegg for like $45
3.)Check and see that all the Xbox' have the same DVD drive in the Xbox.
4.) Make sure that your copying methods are the same, because one may use something like Craxtion4 and another may just ftp the contents of the D drive and then patch with something other.

There are too many varients in this problem, You have to look over every one of them, you also might check to see if they have or have not updated their version of EvolutionX (Even though I've had a lot more success playing backups with UnleashX, more features too.)

calvaria_messor

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »

UltraIso is not a cd/dvd burning application it uses what ever burning app you have instaled on your pc... i.e (nero, ezcd creator) My geuss is you are using either a diiferent burning app then your friends or the same app with different settings. I would create your ISO image and then use DVD Decrypter @ 2x speed I have never had bad burns with ps2, xbox, or dvds.

gigemboy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 04:00:00 AM »

I just thought I would add a post about Lite-On... I have a Lite-On DVD burner, and use the cheapest no-name brand of media I can find, and I have never had problems with backups. I use Nero 6.3 to burn. As far as I know, Lite-On is 100% compatible for what I need it to do smile.gif Gooo Lite-On!

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(gigemboy @ Jan 1 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post

I just thought I would add a post about Lite-On... I have a Lite-On DVD burner, and use the cheapest no-name brand of media I can find, and I have never had problems with backups. I use Nero 6.3 to burn. As far as I know, Lite-On is 100% compatible for what I need it to do smile.gif Gooo Lite-On!

Using cheap media is far from wise.  Just because it works doesn't mean it is good.  Take a look at the folks with Princo or G05 Ritek that have had their media fail after a year or less of use.  Lite-On happens to be one of the few manufacturers that doesn't use Taiyo Yuden media (considered by many to be the best) to bench test their burners and help develop specs.  As a result, Lite-Ons as a whole have more problems with even the highest quality media.  Certainly not a burner I want in my collection.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying all Lite-On burners are complete crap, I am just saying that there are better options for the money as far as burners are concerned.  They do make great ripping/error scanning drives though.  

forkart

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(calvaria_messor @ Jan 1 2006, 01:45 AM) View Post

UltraIso is not a cd/dvd burning application it uses what ever burning app you have instaled on your pc... i.e (nero, ezcd creator) My geuss is you are using either a diiferent burning app then your friends or the same app with different settings. I would create your ISO image and then use DVD Decrypter @ 2x speed I have never had bad burns with ps2, xbox, or dvds.

I recommend magiciso, Its new version can create and edit xbox iso image. you can use it to burn xbox iso image, on-the-fly.
http://www.magiciso.com/