xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Media Issues-please Look In  (Read 740 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Media Issues-please Look In
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(JWJ @ Jan 12 2005, 05:01 AM)
Man Jesterrace I'm suprised you didn't include those sonic dvd-rs at shop4tech.com laugh.gif

inVinCiBleGaMa

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »

Ok I got Ritek Ridata media DVD-R from Meritline.com and they work perfectly fine. Just adding this for anybody who wants to buy online.yea and its only 38$ for 100 discs.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Patriot @ Jan 13 2005, 04:52 AM)
You have to source a respected distributor of TY.  Rima.com receives a lot of recommendations.  I, personally, just buy Fuji and Sony Made in Japan DVD-R/DVD+R when it is on sale.  Best Buy throws the 50 packs on sale for $19.99 and lately I've had 10% off coupons on top of that.  There is definitely more Made in Taiwan on the shelves than Made in Japan but I've always been able to find the MIJ by sorting the spindles on the shelf and overstock areas.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »

grr.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »

Yeah, I am gonna try for them tomorrow.  Anyways, I ordered another 50 pack of actual Ty discs from Rima since I have yet to recieve a single disc that is bad let alone half a spindle.  Well worth the extra money IMHO to avoid the hassle.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 12:04:00 AM »

Yeah, Memorex is definitely NOT quality media.  CMC Magnetics is generally who produces media for them.  You might want to also look into the special on the MIJ Maxell's at Office Depot this week.  $5 for a 15 pack and they are either TY or Maxell's own dye.  Both of which are supposed to be excellent.

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »

jesterace, seeing as you seem to know a lot about this, what media do you recommend for DVD-RW or DVD+RW?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

Well, unfortunately my knowledge stops at write once media.  Are you planning on using RW media for all of your backups?  I really don't recommend this as even the best of drives don't read RW as well as a quality write-once disc.  Or are you just wanting to get a small quantity to test things out or use for XBMC applications?  It would also help if you posted which drive you have in your XBOX.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Patriot @ Jan 18 2005, 04:24 AM)
That's terrible luck.  I haven't purchased any 50 pack spindles lately, but I've heard of this happening to other users.  Coincidently they were all 50 packs.  I purchased a bunch of the 25 pack MIJ spindles back when they were $8.09 during the holidays and they are fine.  Office Depot has Maxell 4X and 8X 15 pack spindles this week for ~$5.  The 4X is either TY or Maxell and the 8X is Maxell.  Again, look for MIJ.  Both are excellent media.

JWJ

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 19 2005, 07:34 PM)
You aren't gonna believe this but I went out and bought 6 packs of the 4x MIJ Maxells.  My closest Office Depot was out so I had to travel a bit further to get them.  The discs are all MXL02.  Anyways, I was happy with my purchase and I open up the first spindle AND DAMNED IF I DON'T SEE SPOTTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I couldn't fucking believe it.  It wasn't quite as bad as the Fujis, thankfully it was just around the very edge of the discs so it shouldn't affect the burn.  Anyways I kept finding faint spotting on the very edge of the discs but the worst was yet to come.  About the 3rd or 4th disc into this particular spindle, I am suddenly greeted with fingerprint smudges on the disc.  Keep in mind these are 100% brand new factory sealed discs.  I always handle my discs at the very edge and never touch the writing surface since it isn't good for the discs.  I know with absolute certainty they are not mine and so they definitely came from the factory that way.  I have opened up 3 other spindles and they seem okay though.  The thing is that given gas prices and the extra distance I had to travel it wouldn't be worth it for me to return this spindle.  Anyways, I am done with buying store DVD Media.  It is clear to me that ordering straight from the manufacturer is the best way to go since the discs are subject to less handling and better storage.  I HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE BAD DISC FROM RIMA OR NEWEGG!!!!!!!!!!!  I have ordered numerous spindles from both and now I try going the store route and yet again I am burned.  All in all I'm still getting a pretty good deal but when I factor in how much wasted gas, ect. I have gone through trying to get in on special deals in stores, overall I have lost money.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »

No shit man.  Store brands can go fuck themselves.  No special deal is worth all of the crap I have been through with them.  I guess it makes sense though that the media that comes directly from the manufacturer will be subject to less handling, moving around, ect.  It could also be an issue of storage facilities.

pelago

• Recovered User
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 18 2005, 08:42 PM)
Well, unfortunately my knowledge stops at write once media.  Are you planning on using RW media for all of your backups?  I really don't recommend this as even the best of drives don't read RW as well as a quality write-once disc.  Or are you just wanting to get a small quantity to test things out or use for XBMC applications?  It would also help if you posted which drive you have in your XBOX.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »

Which media have you tried for DVD+RW?  I personally recommend Mitusbishi Chemicals for either (Verbatim or Fujifilm RW discs made in Singapour) but I can't gaurantee that they will work on your drive.

itsmee129

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »

smile.gif

JWJ

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

Well itsmee129 I have never heard of that brand of media where did you them?

Oh and Jesterrace can I put a link to this thread. In my sig sorry to ask you here but I tried to pm you, but it wouldnt let me because you need to clear out your inbox.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12