xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dummy Files  (Read 276 times)

amps

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »

Try looking at this Thread The folks are working to create more optimized ISO's.  Just waiting on a release date.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jamaicanyouth @ Jul 9 2004, 09:05 AM)
Since folders have priority over single files.

you have it somewhat backwards.  the files in the root of any directory will normally be burned in alphabetical order before the folders of that directory (unless the burning program or iso creation program doesn't follow convention).  if you want to use a dummy file, name it something that alphabetically precedes any of the other files in the root directory (something like 00000000.dmy would work), and place it there.

Xeero

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2003, 07:58:00 AM »

laugh.gif

DaGamePimp

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2002, 10:54:00 AM »

Actually this is very easy to do but it really does not help too much , the type of media that you use makes more of a difference as does the quality of your burn [ when in doubt burn slower using High Quality CD-rw will normally solve most loading issues - just don't expect your cd's to load like the original dvd's , some games may load as fast but most do not ] .
-[DGP]-

[oMega]

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2002, 01:46:00 PM »

I dont know if it would really improve loading times, but you can add a dummy file like DC games.

Off the top of my head, just get an iso editing program like ISObuster and add big files (any file will do) of about 100 megs or more, depending on how much space you want occupied.

After this just burn and it SHOULD work... I have not tested this and Im just telling you this 'cause its the first thing that came to my mind.. tongue.gif

What u got to loose? you can always erase the CD-RW wink.gif

killraven

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2002, 07:26:00 AM »

The DC was a CAV type drive. Thats was the only reason that padding worked and was necessary. It wont make a difference in the world on any regular pc dvdrom or xbox stock dvdrom.

You can try it if your heart is set on it. Bust and Iso file with xiso and the use you favorite program such as prassi or nero. Add a dummy file that files up the disc type you are trying to burn it and set the priority of that file to low.

I guarentee you wont notice any difference.

kyu112

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »

ive been burning multigame iso's successfully for some time now, and ive never burned anything with dummy files. ive read somewhere that it helps to have it in there. is it really necessary to have dummy files? has neone remedied making faulty backups by including them? does anyone see any noticeable improvements as far as loading goes? anything to help shine some light on this would be appreciated. thanks!

AZImmortal

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2004, 12:11:00 AM »

dummy files usually aren't a necessity, but they'll improve performance by pushing the game files closer to the outer edge of the disc.

toaks

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »

Dummy files are not required, but depending on the game they could help improve load times. I use MooGUI and XDVDFSTools to rebuild the original discs file structure, and pad the image to push the game files to the outer edge of the discs. In my own experience, load times can be GREATLY reduced, and the DVD drive makes far less sound when seeking files. Hope this helps.

thehittmann

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 03:37:00 AM »

yeap as the others have said not necessary but can improve loading times of some games.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (t_skraggs @ Dec 1 2004, 10:04 AM)
I use a HDD to increase loading times.

if you're using it to increase loading times, then you're doing something wrong. wink.gif  besides, not everyone has replaced their hard drive with a larger one.

fergetz

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »

hi can anyone tell me how to create a dummy file
trying to  to get espn college hoops to run
are they any tools out there i run  winxppro

thanks for any replies in advance

mick

egg4019

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »

What kind of error are you getting

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »

dry.gif

tutyet

• Archived User
Dummy Files
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

you need them if you are dealing with small files like dashbaords applications and bios cds!

not games, unless they are like 50mb lololol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5