xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which Is A Better Investment  (Read 101 times)

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
Which Is A Better Investment
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (ibemonty2000 @ Jun 30 2004, 03:21 PM)
Rykin, do you really know what you're talking about with the defragging? I've heard expierienced people on these forums saying they've never heard about slow/laggy gaming due to defragmentation, at least not from a reputable person.

-Monty

I have never heard anyone [that I trust to know what they are talking about] complain about fragmentation.  An XBox drive isn't used enough to fragment bad enough to notice a difference, IMO.  Even if you were to fill a 120GB HDD, delete half the games randomly, fill it, delete half randomly, fill, etc, etc. over and over and over, the drive would go through little compared to what the avg PC drive goes through every day.

He does, after all, only have 8 posts at this site.

Freakwilly

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »

Also, DVDR's at my local Compusa/Best Buy range from $40-50 for a 50 pack.  They arn't generic, they are the memorix(spell check?)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Jun 27 2004, 01:07 PM)
That would be the pirate's point of view.  If you aren't a pirate and your HDD fails, then you lose nothing (other than the HDD which may or may not be under warranty.)

I guess you forgot you have all your original retail discs lying around.  They are so easy to forget about since they cost $15-50 each.

Well excuse me Mr. Politically Correct.  rolleyes.gif  I have the sneaky feeling that this guy is. . . .HAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!    blink.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (eulachon @ Jun 27 2004, 07:12 PM)
Ok, it's going to be the DVD burner first for me then I guess... less $/GB and more versatile... ie I could finally burn my Futurama collection etc.

I already have an old 20GB drive in the Xbox and that would allow me to keep my favorite games and emulators on HD while keeping the rest on DVD.

If Xbox games were $15 here, I would have so many more... In Canada the cheapest are $30 and they are the "platinum hits" games. Of course Halo was still $59 because everyone has to buy a copy dry.gif

Speaking of Canada, $80US from newegg = $110CDN plus I'm sure extra to ship to Canada. Best case scenario - I save $10. Will there EVER be an online store that's based in Canada, so I can get deals too??

PolarBear, Naturally when talking about damage I'm not talking about smashing damage or something stupid like that - I'm talking cumulative damage. I still have all my NES and SNES games from ages ago - they're all scratched up from years of small nicks and drops and accidental steppings-ons, but they all play fine due to the sturdy cartridge design. If they were DVDs they would've been toast ages ago I'm sure - Thus I want to put my Xbox originals in a closed box and only touch them to make backups. Why take the chance?

Try http://www.blankmedia.ca  They have great deals on media and I think they have reasonable prices on hardware as well. wink.gif

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (Freakwilly @ Jul 1 2004, 10:24 PM)
Then with my burner I backup all my games in Data format so I can compress them and they fit on another DVD.

I'm curious as to why you would need to "back up" your game in a compressed, non-playable format.

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (Freakwilly @ Jul 1 2004, 11:28 PM)
I don't play games anymore using my CD drive.  I play them off the HD.

When I delete everything on my HD every few months(generic defrag) it's easier to copy them from my PC than to re-rip my games.

If you think it's easier, then you are doing something wrong.  And unless you burn at 8X then it isn't faster either.

Edited...

Actually, I take it back.  If you are RARing the avg game (2.5 GB) then it will take approx 1 hr to RAR at "best" compression on an Intel P4 3GHz w/1GB memory, then burn time would be 10 min or so.  So you are looking at about 70 minutes to RAR then burn from your PC.  If you just used DVD2XBox you could re-rip to HDD when you want it in about 15 minutes (the same 2.5GB game).  You are spending an hour too long with each game... hmmm... hey, to each their own eh?  Just don't make it obvious.

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (rykin @ Jul 2 2004, 10:53 PM)
If you know how files are put onto a HDD you can understand how an Xbox can be fragmented.  I've copied games to my PC for backup purposes and deleted them again and I assure you that sometimes it doesn't take much at all to frag a harddrive and slow it down.

Yeah, but you are talking about a PC.  The Windows OS is contantly writing, rewriting, deleting, moving, rewriting, moving, writing, deleting, rewriting, writing, moving... etc... files... constantly.  The Windows OS is what causes fragmentation by how it chooses to write files.  You cannot use the problems with a PC and reason similar problems to the XBox.  That's like comparing a helicopter to a bicycle.

Edited...

undermind
Do you mean undermine?  Undermined?

eulachon

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

Just got my burner today at a local and very cheap store - $73CDN for a BenQ Dual-layer 8x8x4 drive. They were out of Princos, so I got some $0.80 noname -R media (only 5 though in case they were no good).

I have to say I'm very satisfied. The first Xbox disk I burned (a multigame with Halo, Soul Calibur 2 and Midtown Madness 3) came out perfect and runs great. The Phillips drive reads it fine, though it takes ~10s longer to detect. Now to use up the rest of those 5 disks and see if I have any problems.

And then, to go to the store and buy a 50 disk spindle of the same media (I think it's $30 for 50 disks)! Wahoo, 235gb for $30...

I also burned a regular disk as a backup of my music from my computer - for fun I stuck it in the Xbox - and was able to browse it and play the music off it with XBMC. I though that the Xbox could only read XISOs? Does XBMC do something special?

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2004, 04:23:00 AM »

Forgive me... I didn't mean to pick at the spelling.  I meant to correct it.  If I misspelled a word, I'd be happy that someone corrected me, as I'd like to go through life learning by error, not making the same ones over and over...  to whomever misspelled, please do not take offense.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2004, 05:33:00 AM »

Anyone here the sound of nitting in here? (or is it knitting???)
Pages: 1 2 [3]