xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62

Author Topic: Games Taking Up Too Much Space?  (Read 2461 times)

skeen

• Archived User
Games Taking Up Too Much Space?
« Reply #900 on: December 23, 2003, 10:18:00 AM »

Here’s a couple for Fatal Frame and Enclave

This could save you some space on your e: drive if you've ever played Fatal Frame. Each gamesave for this one takes up about 41 MB. If you used all the game save slots you could have up to 8 of these chunky bastards.
They’re in UDATA/54430004

Enclave has a French and German folder. They are sbz1_Fra and sbz1_Ger.  Deleting them will free up 783 MB. When I tested the game after deleting these folders, I couldn’t find any options to change the language. Out of curiosity I put the folders back to see if a language setting would magically appear but none did.  I don’t know if this is unusual or not since I’ve never tried changing the language settings before.  
Anyway I played a couple of the *.bik movies in these folders and they are definitely French and German.

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #901 on: December 23, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »

Tiger Woods 2004 and 2003 have some extra videos,someone can try to delete then?i search but didn't find any label that match with these videos

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #902 on: December 23, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »

It's possible that the games try to pull language settings from the XBox via what it was set by the original MS Dash itself.

I've noticed before a setting in the MS Dash where you could tell it to turn off after 6 hours of inactivity. This setting still overrode anything via a modded bios or different dash. Which was kinda bad when I tried transferring games from my old 120's up to my 300 Gig beasts. That, and when using it as the music player, it was kinda yuck to "jiggle the handle" every once in a while.

Anyways, back on topic. Might want to try again after going through the MS Dash and changing the language to Françias or Deutsch. Not needed, but I'll add Enclave after I get a bit more info. Like are those folders in the root folder of the game, or under another folder?

Default_002

• Archived User
« Reply #903 on: December 23, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »

I have all the ESPN Sports games (such as ESPN Football, ESPN Basketball, etc.) and Need for Speed: Underground. How would i go about finding which files are deletable? Because i would love to help out in anyway possible.

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #904 on: December 23, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »

Default_002,

First thing I did, was to play the game. I took notes of what pre-game company logos popped up, such as the Microsft Game Studios logo, or any of the companies that worked on the game.

Look over the menus for things like demos, previews or whatever. If so, write down the name of the demo or movie the game is about. Just incase they didn't use the normal demo formats.

I also tried letting the game sit at the main menu to see if a in-game demo movie would play.

The next step is to FTP into your XBox, and go to where you stored the game at. F:/Games/(GameName)/

After you FTP in, see if there are "dashupdate.xbe", "downloader.xbe", or "update.xbe". These can be deleted immediatly. (Just be sure to write down that you deleted them.)

Also, look for folders such as "cdxmedia", "XDemos" or "Demos", along with the files "cdx.xbe" or "xdemos.xbe". These are the common game demo menus. Back these up onto your computer, delete them from the XBox, and try running the game. Select the demos option, and write down what happened. Reboot the game, and try again, see if the same thing happens.

Then look for files that may represent the pre game logos that popped up. In the instance of "MS Game Studios", look for a file named something like "MGS.bik", or words in file names like "logo" or "intro". Movies can have these file extensions. ".bik", ".pss", ".wmv", ".xmv" (again, backup, delete, test.)

Looking for alternate language files can be a bastard. Look for folders or files that contain these letter combos.
- English can be "en", "eng", "english", and has also been seen as "int"
- German can be "de", "deutsch", "dutch", "ge, "ger" or "german"
- Italian can be "it", "ita" italian"
- French can be "fr", "fra", "fre", "french"
- Japanese can be "j", "ja", "jap", "japanese"
- Chinese can be "ch", "chi", "chinese"
- Spanish can be "es", "esp", "sp", "spa", "spanish"
- Polish can be "pol", "polish"
I've also seen Korean and Portugese as in the PGR2 deletions from jumbee159. (Backup, delete, test.)
Also from NSF:U, the languages Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Finnish, and Norwegian have popped up.

For movies that are duplicated for a different region... This can be just as fun. Sometimes, NTSC movies are given no designation what so ever, while the PAL movies have "-PAL" or just a "P" in the file name. Sometimes they're in their own folder such as "/PAL-MOVIES/". (Backup, delete, test.)

If there was a movie that played when you sat at the main menu for a few minutes, then you may want to look for any of the following keywords. "Attract", "Intro_Montage". (Backup, delete, test.)

Also, compare it with other games I've already listed. There aren't too many ways the game makers would organize everything. You just need to train yourself on what to look for.

I hope this helps. I know I'm not able to put too much sense into it right now, as I just took some of those fun pills the hospital gave me.

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #905 on: December 23, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

GamerBR,

Sorry for ignoring you this long.

I could try to split the deletions into catagories like that, but it would take me a few days to make that conversion. The main problem I'd have, is that I don't have a large portion of these games anymore, physical disc or backup-wise. Though I could try and force myself to remember, I couldn't garuntee 100% idiocy... er.. accuracy.

Also, just to clarify, are you saying you want those evil muhaha.gif company logo movies at the start of your game too? laugh.gif I do everything I can to leave any videos that move the story along, if that's what you are talking about.

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #906 on: December 23, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (Rahszhul @ Dec 23 2003, 11:29 PM)
GamerBR,

Sorry for ignoring you this long.

I could try to split the deletions into catagories like that, but it would take me a few days to make that conversion. The main problem I'd have, is that I don't have a large portion of these games anymore, physical disc or backup-wise. Though I could try and force myself to remember, I couldn't garuntee 100% idiocy... er.. accuracy.

Also, just to clarify, are you saying you want those evil muhaha.gif company logo movies at the start of your game too? laugh.gif I do everything I can to leave any videos that move the story along, if that's what you are talking about.

So the videos that are in the list,there are no videos that appear during the game? rotfl.gif

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #907 on: December 23, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »

Finally, after a post growth count today of ~33%, a post from me about UPDATES!!

Who'd've guessed that?

Anyways,
  • Thanks to GamerBR for his help with Rainbow Six 3 and updates to Amped 2
  • Thanks to skeen for his info on Enclave
These updates bring us to a grand total of 21.62 Gigabytes saved.

cmmig

• Archived User
« Reply #908 on: December 23, 2003, 07:36:00 PM »

Great Thread. Thanks Rahszhul

A small Request

Medal of honor: rising sun
I checked some myself but I didn't see anything obvius(sp?) (i.e. folders named "English" or "German")

EDIT: spelling

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #909 on: December 24, 2003, 12:25:00 AM »

• Added Moto GP 2 and Voodoo Vince, with much thanks to GamerBR again.
  • Added Top Spin. And to note, I never want to play a several GB version of PONG ever again!
  • Up to 22.37 Gigabytes now.
And now I sleep.

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #910 on: December 24, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

Happy Prune Yogurt Day!!
  • Thanks to GamerBR for the Need for Speed: Underground deletions.
  • Added Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio Future bundle disc. After the deletions, you can split the games apart with this article.
  • Added Kung Fu Chaos.
  • Now up to 25.05 Gigabytes recovered.
I'm sure there were more of you out there then than the few who requested NFS:U to be rooted through. Well, it's been done, but it's not much. Kung Fu Chaos on the other hand had quite a bit of space to give back.

Ta-mater

• Archived User
« Reply #911 on: December 24, 2003, 08:12:00 PM »

For Harry Potter: Quiditch World Cup... you can delete the entrie /movies/ directory. It seems to include multiple copies of the EA Games and WB intro logo animations and are unnecessary.

Default_002

• Archived User
« Reply #912 on: December 24, 2003, 09:32:00 PM »

Why can't i delete the entire /videos/ folder in "Kung Fu Chaos? (I get a dirty disc error) If not, is there any other way to remove company logos and other pre-game garage? Thanks

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #913 on: December 24, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »

Ta-mater,

Thanks for the info on Harry Potter: Quiditch World Cup. Any idea on how much space that free's up?

Default_002,

Kung Fu Chaos will give a DDE for any file it tries to access. If your xbox is set to North America/English or whatever it exactly looks for, it will try to play the file with "_en" before the file extension.

I may see later if these movies are replacable with smaller movies, to be added to my second post.

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #914 on: December 24, 2003, 10:20:00 PM »

I can still help you through it, It's just that I personally don't have a copy of the game. But since you do, I can work with you to try and delete some things.

If you want to do this, go ahead and contact me by any of these evil programs listed below, like AIM, ICQ, or MSN.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62