xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DVD Burner Poll  (Read 343 times)

WaRnINg|

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 05:17:00 AM »

i would go with the Sony DRU-510A

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 05:48:00 AM »

love.gif ).

Good luck whatever you decide.

rms2001

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 08:44:00 AM »

In writing to DVD-R and DVD+R at 4x, Sony's total time of 16:03 and 14:58 minutes was the best score overall

As I said. Sony all the way.  biggrin.gif

Arvarden

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 08:59:00 AM »

smile.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Nov 17 2003, 06:57 AM)
Pioneer 106 is like $130~$135US including shipping.

Anything cheaper is only cheaper by like $10 or $20.  Just get the best.

It's now $128 with Recordnow DX Software + free shipping from www.avlogic.com and the price keeps dropping since they are getting ready for the release of the A07/107 drive within the next month.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »

wink.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (UjnHunter @ Nov 17 2003, 12:47 PM)
i have the optorite 203, got it for $105 and it burns both +/- r & rw's works great with my box...

bastard, i just paid 120 for the same burner, lol

it does work great though smile.gif

Blkout

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2003, 05:53:00 PM »

The new Plextor 708A is the burner of choice if you got the money to spend, Pioneer 105 or 106 would be the next best at this time. The Sony sucks, riddled with problems.

I have a Plextor 708A and a Pioneer 105, both are great and reliable, but the Plextor runs circles around all other burners in speed.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »

sad.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2003, 12:02:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Nov 17 2003, 11:43 PM)
Since this thread seems to be a major waste of bandwidth, may as well tell us what the 107 will have.  wink.gif

Sure, if you haven't already seen the specs, get ready to drool.  

Pioneer Introduces Fastest Multiple Format DVD/CD Writer On Market (US)
Long Beach Nov 11, 2003

World’s first “8x8” dual format writer offers wide variety of features

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., the leader in recordable DVD technology, today announced the DVR-A07, a new dual format DVD/CD internal writer that offers the fastest write speeds possible and also provides precision recording technology for consumers who demand it.

The DVR-A07 is the world’s first 8x8 dual format writer, meaning it is capable of writing at 8x speed on DVD-R discs whose standard is being ratified in the DVD Forum and +R discs that are designed for this recording speed. The new drive also records high-speed DVD-RW and +RW discs at up to 4x speed, and CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 24x speed. By supporting the DVD Forum’s DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats, Pioneer is helping to eliminate format confusion, which has become a growing problem for potential buyers.

“With the launch of the industry’s first “8x8” dual format writer, Pioneer is once again putting the needs of the user at the top of our priority list,” said Andy Parsons, senior vice president of industrial video and mass storage sales and marketing at Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “The DVR-A07 will save users valuable time by writing DVD and CD discs as fast as recordable DVD technology allows at this point. It also lets users focus on writing DVDs instead of worrying about which disc format they need to buy.”

Pioneer engineers also focused on improving the writing/recording quality and reliability for high-speed writing. New technology accommodates for variances in blank media. Some of the technological advancements include:

Pioneer-developed Liquid Crystal Control System for precise recording onto the surface of discs that may be warped or of uneven thickness.
Smart Laser Driver to provide a precise laser pulse control and achieve more reliable recording for high-speed writing.
Precision Recording Technology, which utilizes an auto-adjustable writing technique to enable recording under the best conditions for each disc characteristic at all times. This technology, first introduced in the DVR-A06, enables the DVR-A07 to achieve optimal initial writing performance and helps to minimize the normal deterioration of re-recordable discs due to repeated writing. As a result, the quality for repeatedly used DVD-RW discs is up to 10 times better than previous writers.
A Defect Management System that enhances the writing reliability further, while maintaining read compatibility with other DVD-ROM drives, DVD players and DVD recorders.
An Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber that reduces vibrations that can affect performance during high-speed recording and playback of some discs. With this feature, the high precision servo system remains stable during both high-speed recording and playback.
The DVR-A07 will also include an extensive collection of software applications for video authoring, editing, DVD slide show creation, and data recording.

The DVR-A07 is expected to be available in December pending the DVD Forum’s approval of 8x write speed for DVD-R and 4x write speed for DVD-RW.

Pioneer’s Professional Video Group is the leader and technical innovator in optical disc technology for the industrial market. It is a part of the Business Solutions Division, which provides professional business-to-business products across a wide range of markets including cable television, professional video/audio, educational, medical, legal and banking.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2003, 12:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Nov 18 2003, 05:18 AM)
As a moderator I see all the posts of problems.  The two most common drives with people posting problems about are Plextor and the NEC 1300.

Apparently there are hacked firmware that overcomes book type issues, etc. but I don't think you should buy a drive where just to get it to work right you have to flash it with hacked firmware.   sad.gif

I agree 100% with your statements about the hacked firmware.  Also, I don't see why people even bother with the tempermental NEC when the 106 is only $20 more.  Going from one of the most problematic drives out there to one of the best drives out there for only $20 more seems like a no-brainer to me.

blackout_19

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2003, 12:23:00 AM »

I had a pioneer 105 and now have a sony dru-510a. Both drives were solid and I haven't made a coaster on either in about 400 disks.

What I will say is that the sony doesn't like cheap disks as much as the 105 or 106. Use ritek g04 and it will burn at 4 speed all day though.

sorienor

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 02:10:00 AM »

When it comes right down to it, there are alot less dvd burners on the market than would appear. Most drives are just rebadged from someone else.

I have yet to see it mentioned but Lite-on makes the best optical drives on the market right now.  You simply can't go wrong with a Lite-on anything: cdrom, dvd, combo, cd burner or dvd burner.  They are really cheap too.

I just got a 401S +R drive and love it, only $100.  The dual formats are out now.  (btw the low cost Sony drives are just rebadge Lite-ons, as is every Sony cd-rw).

Hinotori

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:00 AM »

I have an LG, and it is pretty good. If you go to TOMS HARDWARE (http://www.tomshardware.com) you will see a nice comparison between some burners, including the SONY, LG and the beloved Pioneer.

Tom's Hardware (which is a damn good web site in my opinion) opted to recommend both the LG and Pioneer, being that both are pretty good and have problems in the same area (writing to DVD+RW discs that won't be read by all readers). LG has the best DVD-Video ripping speed (if this matters to you), read successfully and very fast a scratched DVD, is a very silent unit... Well, I really like it, I have a LG Cd Burner as well for more than a year, that works wonderfully.

I agree with many, all around, to backup xbox discs, Pioneer has a slight advantage because the faster updates to the firmware to support new medias (LG updates the firmware as well, and A301 is a very good firmware) and because of the cooling that the pioneer has, if you burn a dvd after other, this is useful, but since I burn one or two dvds at most, this is not really an issue.

If the difference of price is minor and you don't care about DVD Video ripping, go with the pioneer, it won't let you down.

But if in your area the price difference is like here in Brazil (Pioneer is a good 100 dollars more expensive than the LG) or you really love to rip DVDs, the LG won't let you down as well. ;-)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
DVD Burner Poll
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (sorienor @ Nov 18 2003, 12:10 PM)
When it comes right down to it, there are alot less dvd burners on the market than would appear. Most drives are just rebadged from someone else.

I have yet to see it mentioned but Lite-on makes the best optical drives on the market right now.  You simply can't go wrong with a Lite-on anything: cdrom, dvd, combo, cd burner or dvd burner.  They are really cheap too.

I just got a 401S +R drive and love it, only $100.  The dual formats are out now.  (btw the low cost Sony drives are just rebadge Lite-ons, as is every Sony cd-rw).

I would have to disagree with you there.  Lite-Ons are pretty good but they are damn noisy and at least thier DVD-ROM drives are more picky about what they read than comparibly priced Toshiba or Pioneer DVD-ROM drives.  When I was using my Pioneer to read, only the most scratched up and abused discs wouldn't read, however with the Lite-On it is really hit and miss if they have any kind of scratches at all.  The other night I was watching a backup of a movie on 4x Ritek DVD-R and towards the end the movie started skipping.  I thought maybe something had gone wrong with the burn (and yes I double checked to make sure the disc wasn't scratched).  I popped it in my XBOX and the whole disc played 100%.   So, sorry but I'm now inclined to think that the Lite-On's are over-rated and once I get the chance I will be replacing my DVD-ROM.  I wouldn't say the Lite-Ons are terrible but when you can get a Toshiba or Pioneer for $45 or less, it really isn't worth it to get a Lite-On.  I won't touch thier DVD Burners either.  $100 for a +R only drive or $128 for a well proven dual format Pioneer 106.  I'll spend the extra $28.
Pages: 1 [2] 3