xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Another Look At Dirty Disks  (Read 390 times)

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Another Look At Dirty Disks
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (LESTAT @ Nov 11 2003, 06:02 PM)
amyone have any cheap burners that are actually REALLY good burners  ?

You can get a Pioneer 106 for around $130 including shipping these days.

How much cheaper do you want?  tongue.gif

logicool1

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »

I've also been backing up for some time without any problems.  The last 7 games I backed up I received the "Disk dirty or damaged" forcing me to reboot, try again and the same error message.  The xbox with a matrix chip and 4973 bios is the one I am having problems with.  I will try the one with the x-ecuter 2.2 and the 4978 bios later tonight and let you guys know what the verdict is.

One other bit of info the dvd-r's I were using were 1x Leda with the glossy white top.  I recently switched over to Matrix 1-4x and have not burned a good copy yet.

Will test later.

pCeSlAyEr

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »

try backing up a title with the new media that you know works for sure... if u get no error then its not he spindal of discs....

im running Evox bios 2.6 on a v1.0 xbox with the Tsop Flashed and the newest evox dash.. and never ever had a problem till lately...

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »

i mentioned in the beggining of this and in other threads that there is something VERY odd about the new games that have been coming out within the last ,, ohhhh 3-4 months,, and its getting worse.
dirty disk errors up the yin yang.
and why ? what is causing it.

i dont know what it is,, but i spotted a nice burner tonight and almost got it,, but damn i dont wanna spend 150 bucks,, but its got a 30 dollar rebate so its only 120 buck,, ggr, choices,, decisions.,.  

i still have to try an older game and ill do that tonight,, and if the older game works,, well,, that isnt saying that the new games are funky,, but its a start.

to clue you in,, my first "bad burn"  Dirty disk.  was Dynasty Warriors 4.  and from there it was all downhill,, game after game after game..

its POSSIBLE and probably more likely tha the games, or iso's or record now max and or nero are just being picky about what brand of media you are using... sometimes cheap media is exactly that,, cheap. and good burning programs like nero or record now,, wont record properly to it.

it is funny though how when i record 5 copies of crimson skies that DVDinfo pro reports the ecact same errors at the same byte sector every time.
same thing for XGRA,, 2 dvd's dvdinfo said there were errrors on pretty much the same spot on the dvd.

pCeSlAyEr

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2003, 02:16:00 PM »

it could be nero still.... it always says my block size for this iso is invalid... and if I correct it or not I still get the Dirty Disc Error... odd...

but everything plays good off the HD... wtf..

don't get a new burner... try backing up a movie or something.. if it works on those then whats the point in buying another burner that'll give u the same error on xbox?

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2003, 02:51:00 PM »

well there is also the point that maybe my ASPI layer is bad or Record now is bad,,
i have Record Now DX ,,

do you all use ASPI on your system ,, like for XP you have to use the ForceASPI program
ther have been things from time to time that ASPI actually causes problems.. so i could use the Dump ASPI and remove aspi and try to record.

edit Record Now DX 4.6

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2003, 02:59:00 PM »

ok just burnt panzer dragoon  ill let ya know what it does.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »

well its about 5% thru it and it found 2 lba errors..    
that was the one thing i didnt explain about using DVDInfo pro,,, the errors are LBA errors.. logical block address errors,,  now for me  i know LBA erros for hard drives,, and that means its fooked up,, that if you have LBA errors the data was written corrupt or somehow became corrupt. possibly a bad hard drive disk but usually not.

but i dont know about lba errors for cd or dvd i have to assume it means the same,, which leads me back to possibly ASPI or Record now not fully understanding how to burn and xbox iso,, and there for burning it wrong.
these errors were actually further into the dvd than all the other errors i have encountered so far., most of them hapen within 30sec to 1 min of verifying the media. but these are several minutes into the test. what does that mean,, nothing really but also something to look at.

so possibly switch back to using an older iso program,, maybe Xiso ,,  eeeww i know but a thought.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2003, 04:04:00 PM »

ok now im confused,..

sometimes after i do a data verification with dvdinfo ,,, ill run an iso to disk comparison  which compares the data of an iso with the data on the cd/dvd  .. ok ,, as of now i have NO errors.

which means  1 of 2 things.

the iso is bad to begin with,, which its not,, i played thru the whole game and never had a problem, from the hard drive.
or
since its reading the dvd AND the iso,,  reading the dvd a second time it found no errors, which means that dvdinfo pro is fooked up. and the media was never bad.

other iso's i have compared IDD come back with errors,, why this isnt,, i dont know.

edit ,, ok the bomb dropped,, shit loads of LBA errors..

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2003, 06:30:00 PM »

ok i know im going to get smacked for this one,, but,, i had daemon tools running all this time. i have heard the supposedly virtual cd/dvd drives and having daemon tools running will screw up burning,, is this true ?

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2003, 08:38:00 PM »

i keep forgetting i have a bunch of verbatim cd-r's  so i have burnt 7 games and so far not one bad disk.

gggrr makes me even more mad.

pCeSlAyEr

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »

fuck the dvd-tool... the structure of a xbox image is different then a standard one anyways... so I don't see how this tool would even be useful...

verbatim cdr??? wha...???!!?!?!?!?

how does the backup of panzer dragoon orta run in your xbox? no lock ups or anything?

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »

I doubt its a new media check as i use evox 2.4 bios with a homebrew mod and i backed up gta vice &3 fine on 2x speed!

pCeSlAyEr

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2003, 03:28:00 PM »

yea my gta3 plays fine... now that I think about it... but as for crimson skies thats another story..

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »

my gta plays fine from hdd too hdd play isnt the issue.

look at xbox muxic mixer ,, the only way to use it is to burn it to DVD. it wont play from the hard drive.

and the panzer game played fine but that dont mean the game isnt going to lock on some level. there were errors on the disk when dvdinfo read it.

all the games i burnt to cdr work great and dvdinfo reads them fine.

dvdinfo pro reads bytes and LBA so it dont care what the xbox format is,, it reads raw data . so there is nothing wrong with the way its reading it.

i got some Maxell DVD-R's from walmart after work and they work fine. no errors no locks or dirty disks.

fuck that 22 bucks for 10 dvd-r's jesus what a rip off.

i also saw theyu had a lite on dvd-cd burner for 99 bucks,, i might grab it.. but its only +R/+RW   i want one thats both + nad - so i might go back to best buy and get the 4x or was it 8x dvd +-R/+-RW CD-R CD-RW burner,,,  cant recall the brand .. but it was 140 and a 30 dollar mail in rebate.

its probably more likely that the media is fine but my burner dont like the dvd-r's ,., so its burning them all screwed up .

what i dont understand is how can somehting burn 100% ok,, and yet be bad ??  i dont get it..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4