xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: The Complete Guide To Producing , Extracting, And  (Read 887 times)

N00bvin

• Archived User
The Complete Guide To Producing , Extracting, And
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2002, 09:13:00 AM »

Awesome guide... should be a "must read"!!!                                    

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2002, 07:51:00 PM »

Thanks NOOBVIN... more to come shortly...                                    

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2002, 10:05:00 PM »

Troubleshooting:

Make sure the disc is "bad" by characterizing the quality of the disc....

Can you navigate to the disc using Boxplorer or Xbox Commander? Can you see it via FTP? Does Evo-X see it as a game disc?

If you see the contents from Boxplorer or Commander, try to launch the default.xbe

The disc boots to the dashboard
1) The disc may have been created incorrectly. Is there a default.xbe in the root? Was it created in XDFS or UDF formats?

2) the disc may have been a "bad burn" - most likely the media is poor quality and can't be read by the Xbox, even if it CAN be read in a PC.

The disc appears to boot, but gets a 'dirty disc' error or locks up in a black or other game screen
1) Most of the time, this is a bad burn. See "Bad Burns" below.

2) There are missing files. Double check to make sure the backup was complete.

Bad Burns

Try to reburn the disc. If you have had great success with the media, another reburn should fix the problem. If it is new 'untested' media, you may continue to have problems. Different Xboxes have problems with different media. Sometimes a pot tweak (mostly with old Thomson drives) will help this situation out....

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2002, 11:12:00 PM »

Excellent...

I love everything but the POT TWEAK!.

Consider POT TWEAK an EXTREME solution!  One that could end up ruining a perfectly good RETAIL DVD reader!

Investigate using BenJeremy's Troubleshooter above! smile.gif

BENJ... when you get the time.. think you can cross-post your MEDIAX and MENUX Guide into this topic?  It would defintely add to it's completeness!

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2002, 09:46:00 AM »

SECTION 1.1 Produce a perfect working XBOX ISO backup of a Burned ISO Backup 1:1

POST MARKER: ONETOONEBACKUP

It has been a common misconception that a properly BURNED ISO BACKUP could only be duplicated by placing the existing BACKUP in the XBOX, and using FTP to Draw the contents to the PC, and REBUILD using recommended methods.  This is simply not so.  

UDF Method has long held the advantage of being the only way to burn an XBOX Backup that will RE-READ in a PC.  Which is still TRUE… in UDF you have full READ access to the files, to do with as you wish (such as make a duplicate backup).  Well… you can Burn your PROPER GDF ISO’s, and even your alternative ISO formats like XISO formatted ISO’s, and make a copy using only the PC.

In the past… MY COMPUTER would scream…

user posted imageuser posted image

One of these ERROR MESSAGES…and that would be enough to keep us from duping our backups!  Some assumed since we saw the same error messages with RETAIL XBOX Disks, the same Read Issues would apply to our backup!

It is actually a fairly EASY process to duplicate your existing backup without the use of your XBOX.  The Process is essentially a 1:1 process. (1:1 RecordNowMax will Read in RAW Mode, and Write in Raw ISO Mode)

You will need RecordNowMax (others may work… untested for this feature)

Place the XBOX Burned Backup in the PC, in one or your DVD readers.  Then open RecordNowMax (or earlier versions), and RIGHT-CLICK on the drive that contains the BACKUP DISK

user posted image

And Select EXTRACT TRACKS… (ISO/WAV/MP3).  In the next Window, you will see the drive properties open, and details about the backup!  Click on 01 – ZONE. (for DVD) or 01 – Data track One (for CDR)  Then Select a Path, as you will need to tell RecordNowMax where to put your new ISO file.(make sure the place you send the new ISO is big enough!)

user posted image

Read Speed… well… set it to MAX.  If you have problems… then by all means drop it.  I’ve done plenty of Re-RIPs, using MAX speed setting, and have had No Problems.  When you are ready… CLICK EXTRACT Button…
(if you have alot of scratches or blemishes on your disk.. you should lowers your READ SPEED to reduce errors)

You will now see that the Bottom part of that window is showing the STATUS of the track EXTRACTION

user posted image

This will take a few minutes!  Enjoy a coffee! Do NOT be surprised if it doesn’t READ (RIP) at the full rated speed of your PC DVD drive.  It’ll get faster toward the end of the disk, unless of course your have marred or scratched the disk!

user posted image

When done.. close RecordNowMax, remove the BACKUP DISK from the PC.  You now have a Perfect copy of the Backup Disk!

user posted image

This works for DVD-R, DVD-RW, CDR, CDRW.  There is no reason it wouldn’t also work with DVD+R and DVD+RW.  From here.. you can simply re-burn with almost any ISO burning program!  Or, you can play around with the Files, by using any number of file extractors.. the best being XDFSExtractor!

NOW... I've chosen to detail the method so that you would have a NEW ISO on the HD of the PC.  However.. it is just as easy to place your BURNED BACKUP into a DVD ROM Drive on the PC, place a BLANK in the DVD BURNER.. and do a striaght COPY!  Work fine!  I chose to not speel this out in more detail.. because I'd rather give you a chance to not produce a bad copy.. incase there is something wrong with the original!  Any serious scratch.. etc.. and you could end up with a buggered copy on DIRECT COPY!  By all means.. save a step if you want.. and do the direct copy!  However...  everything in the GUIDE is about producing the BEST Possible BACKUPS Possible! I've also assumed that anyone with any Burning software knows how to do a basic COPY.  So I won;t DETAIL that process!  'nuff said!    

Go have a Beer… It’s Miller Time!

*Note: to be fair.. a burned disk prepared in UDF format is Fully and easily readable on ANY PC.  This method of Backing Up a backed up ISO will NOT give you the same seemless access, but will give you the same options… with a little more work! smile.gif

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2002, 01:19:00 AM »

Some NOTES:
=========

POST MARKER: BACKUPBURNDUDS

Many people have problems getting SOME of their burns to read PROPERLY in the XBOX.  They may burn dozens of disks, and find a % of the simply don't read 100% fine in the XBOX.  

After even more research.. both personal, and in the forums... I investigated further.  Finding some interesting facts regarding the readability of apparent DUDS.  I was fortunate that I throw out almost nothing!

As an afterthought to the RE-READ / DUPE of DUPE section just added... I found I had more questions.  Turns out that MOST "NOT PERFECT" burns... ones that would work kinda sorta sometimes were burned JUST FINE.  Problem is two fold... quality of blanks, tolerance levels of the various XBOX Readers.  All of the DUDs I've ever produced, that were iffy but playable, and even some that wouldn't boot in XBOX at all... were all PERFECT Burns by PC standards.

They could all easily.. and FLAWLESSLY.. be read and REREAD perfectly using RECORDNOW MAX to produce a new WORKING ISO!  (*NOTE: ISO produced in this manner by RNM will be BYTE Identical to the original, so if it was original XISO produce, the new one is XISO'd, and if it was GDF'd, the new one is GDF'd!)

From there... the files can be extracted with listed methods, then safely FTP'd to an XBOX.  All games and EVOX duds would play properly 100%.

So.. next time you think you have burned a DUD / Coaster.. keep it.  It may not be your IDEAL backup... but at least you will be able to send it to the XBOX via FTP and play there!

Worked with ALL Media Blanks!  Multiple Brands, multiple original burn techniques!

This post has been edited by HSDEMONZ: Aug 22 2003, 03:22 AM
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]