OG Xbox Forums > General Hardware/Technical Chat

Slightly More Complex Networking Question...

(1/1)

cyrusuncc:
Ok, i have a little experience networking wired and wirelessly.

Here's how i have everything setup now.
---------------------------------------------------
My modded Xbox, Cable Modem, and Wireless Router all in living room connected by ethernet cables.

3 Computers connected wirelessly throughout the house.

My roomate also has a modded xbox in his room that he wants to connect to the network.  His computer is connected to the main network wirelessly and his computer does have an integrated ethernet port (disabled for now, but can enable it).

A Few Questions:
----------------------
Can this xbox in his room be connected using a crossover cable?  
   - if it is, will the DHCP on the wireless router assign it an ip or will i have to make it static?
   - i have an old router (non wireless) that we could use in the setup, or is this a waste?  Will these two conflict since they both have DHCP?

Any suggestions before i go home and tinker with it?

mrRobinson:
Can this xbox in his room be connected using a crossover cable?
I assume you mean to his PC? Then Yes.  And his PC would have to be set up with ICS and then the xbox could get online through the PC to the wireless router.

- if it is, will the DHCP on the wireless router assign it an ip or will i have to make it static?
with ICS the DHCP on the wireless router will assign it an ip.

- i have an old router (non wireless) that we could use in the setup, or is this a waste? Will these two conflict since they both have DHCP?
I don't see how it would benefit you in any way. You could hook the xbox up to a  linksys WET11 so it wirelessly goes right to the router, but if you want a zero cost solution just set up ICS on the computer and hook the xbox up to the ethernet port with a xover.

mrRobinson:
You'd be better off probably creating your own thread, unless this is dig up old thread day then that's fine.

anyway, so the basic problem is your two xbox's aren't communicating... what ip's does everything have?  and the computer with ICS you have no firewall running, correct?

ratsflif:
all computers and xbox's have an ip 192.168.1.10*  and there is no fire wall on the pc that is running the bridge.

The router has 4 ports on it but thats not the issue.  1 xbox is directly connected to the router with a standard ethernet cable the cable modem is connect to the wan port and is all working correctly.  I could plug the 2nd xbox directly into one of the other ports but that would defeat the purpose of it being wireless.

unknownuser:
oh ok i understand now
i'm guessing that you can use a wireless bridge
just make sure it's the same protocal as your wireless router
i don't have too much wireless experiance so i'm guessing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version