xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Strange Issue With Component Cables (ghosting)  (Read 271 times)

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Strange Issue With Component Cables (ghosting)
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

You cannot use S-Video and Component at the same time. S-Video is standard definition only, and Component is Hi-Def. 2 different modes are needed from the Xbox video encoder.

As far as the ghosting, it could be caused by any number of things. There are really only 2 ways to troubleshoot this issue. One is to get an official M$ component cable and see if the problem persists. The other way is to try another HDTV with your current setup. Between the 2 options, you should be able to determine the culprit.

j0rpi

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »

Well, of course i know S-Video is low def, but i need to have it plugged in to make some of the ghosting to dissappear. Maybe i explained it in a way you don't understand, but i use the component leads, and the Xbox is running in HD mode. If the S-Video cable is plugged in at the same time, some of the ghosting dissappear, but without it plugged at the same time, there's so much ghosting. Also, it's not my tv, it has been tested on alot of TVs. And i read another thread that the switch on the cable might be the cause of the ghosting, cause the guy had removed the switch and made his own switch for the cable. It's like the S-Video or the whole composite part of the cable is causing interference. And fallenangle, i have disconnected all cables except the power to the TV and the interference is still there, and as you mentioned about the switch, i had read about that before that the switch might be causing these problems.

Also, about the composite leads, their not connected at all, they don't make a difference on the ghosting, only the S-Video is connected.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »

So it's not the TV or the cable HD/SD switch and you've eliminated most of the other possibilities. Well then what's left? Answer: the cable itself.

Obviously and unfortunately the only way to test this is to try using a different Component lead.

I've had my own problems with dodgy cables so I can understand the annoyance this sort of thing causes. I also have unresolvable TV issues at 1080. Xbox, XB360 (PS2, and GC too) all perfect at 480p, all use official Component cables but switch to 1080i with the Xbox and XB360 and I get faint but noticeable background ghosting no matter what I've tried.

In your case I hope it is just a simple matter of a replacement cable being needed.

j0rpi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Mar 20 2012, 07:34 PM) View Post

So it's not the TV or the cable HD/SD switch and you've eliminated most of the other possibilities. Well then what's left? Answer: the cable itself.

Obviously and unfortunately the only way to test this is to try using a different Component lead.

I've had my own problems with dodgy cables so I can understand the annoyance this sort of thing causes. I also have unresolvable TV issues at 1080. Xbox, XB360 (PS2, and GC too) all perfect at 480p, all use official Component cables but switch to 1080i with the Xbox and XB360 and I get faint but noticeable background ghosting no matter what I've tried.

In your case I hope it is just a simple matter of a replacement cable being needed.

Well i guess it's my only option right now. I can get the official MS cable cheap. I'll reply back again after i've bought it. As far as i've seen, it seems no one has ever had problems with it.