xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Can't Get Vga To Work  (Read 872 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

Either it is or it isn't defective.........

If you mean "it reads some discs but not others", then you may need to try different media, or a different burner. If it will read an original game disc then it is basically working, and DVD-R burned at 4x or slower is universally readable on Xbox DVD drives, so try that.

If that doesn't work then you could use FTP to copy the contents of the boot disc to a temporary folder on the E partition on your Xbox, and run it from there.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »

OK, so you have to use one of the other options. smile.gif

You can TSOP flash without a game - just solder the points, then boot your Xbox into the softmod, and use Evox to flash your new BIOS to the TSOP chip.

The TSOP and a modchip are just holders for the BIOS. It's the BIOS that allows you to run unsigned code.

I'd seriously recommend that you try the Frosty/xman954 VGA solution first, just to confirm that your wiring is correct.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jan 30 2012, 08:11 PM) View Post

I'd seriously recommend that you try the Frosty/xman954 VGA solution first, just to confirm that your wiring is correct.
I second this. I was unaware that you had no working DVD-Rom.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »

OK, here we go <takes deep breath>:

First off, instead of connecting together lines 9 to 10 and 13 to 14 (mode 1+3), you want to connect lines 11 to 12 and 13 to 14 (mode 2+3). This should get you a centimeter further (progress is progress, nonetheless).

Secondly, One thing that I have noticed after I reviewed the entire topic is that you stated above that after you built your adapter, you could only get an image (although green), on one of at least 2 tested monitors. This tells me 2 things.

1. The monitor that you were able to get the green image on actually supports sync on green, and that your LM1881 chip is not necessary with this monitor.

2. It is possible that your LM1881 circuit is still not built correctly. The fact that you got no image at all on the other monitor means that it does not support a Sync on Green signal (and is possibly at this point, exactly what your xbox is still outputting) and thus, your LM1881 is either not connected correctly, was damaged during this project, or was Dead On Arrival.

Note: There is a very slim possibility that this monitor (the one that cannot get a signal at all) is just very picky in that is does not like the non-standard VGA signal that the LM1881 produces AND ALSO does not support S.o.G. This leaves very small (but existent) doubt to second point (2), however I am 85% sure that point 2 is true.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

Now, do you get a signal with either monitor that you tested?

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »

Is that working with the softmod and with the Frosty/xman954 VGA BIOS?

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »

No, the VGA part is hard coded in the BIOS, the config just tells the BIOS where to boot the dash from.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »

Because the softmod VGA patch needs the video output to be in mode 2+3. smile.gif

AnnaOlum

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »

All right, learned something new again. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Edit: Just tested the other CRT Monitor - it doesn't work. I only get garbled output.

This post has been edited by AnnaOlum: Yesterday, 01:33 AM

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »

Yea, I'm thinking that your LM chip is still not working for some reason, but at least you ended up having a S.o.G monitor. Have fun! smile.gif

AnnaOlum

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 07:20:00 AM »

My HDTV doesn't work too. I need output on it.

My LM1881 Chip doesn't work? Is there a way to test it? Perhaps with a multimeter?

This post has been edited by AnnaOlum: Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »

You need to provide more details. Are you saying you have two monitors and an HDTV with a VGA input? If so, have you looked at the manuals for all three to see what VGA modes they support?

At a guess I'd suspect that one of your monitors supports SOG, while the other monitor and the HDTV don't, and that xboxmods2977 is correct and your LM1881 chip is broken, but looking at the manuals might help confirm this.

Also, you might need to switch your Xbox into NTSC mode to get the higher VGA resolutions to work. I've never tried VGA on a PAL Xbox, but given the brain-dead implementation that Microsoft chose I'd be surprised if VGA gave you any reasonable resolutions unless you are in NTSC mode.

Finally, post some photos of your work - we might be able to spot if there's a wiring problem.

AnnaOlum

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »

I'm already in NTSC mode - I switched the box to it via Enigmah's PAL/NTSC switcher.

Regarding the wiring: Maybe I will desolder it and start from scratch.

AnnaOlum

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »

By the way - my HDTV is a LG 42PC51...

AnnaOlum

• Archived User
Can't Get Vga To Work
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 02:40:00 PM »

Another thing: Where can I find the Pixel8 VGA BIOS? No luck on the usual places...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4