xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xcalibur Rgb Scart Performance  (Read 234 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Xcalibur Rgb Scart Performance
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »

I was not aware it had anything to do with encoder I was always under the impression it is most likely to do with whether the cable if properly shielded or not ie. both external and internal or the build quality of the SCART plug itself.

I've only had a problem with one RGB SCART lead and one LE Green PAL Xbox (v.1.2) and that was with a specific TV. The problem was resolved by disabling the SCART plug's L/R audio and composite AV out pins. This is a well known solution for SCART cable interference problems.

Ironically the only RGB SCART cable I've had a banding problem with that I've never fully resolved is an official Dreamcast one. This is even more inexplicable because it isn't fully wired, omitting all the output pins and, without doubt, is one of the highest  quality and neat SCART plug wiring designs of any cable I own.

If you can't get rid if the banding there is a possible solution: swap to a Component cable. But I'm guessing that you're using RGB SCART for the good reason.

daskrabs

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »

Well, looks like it's true. Just tested my SCART cables with an Xcalibur Xbox (1.6), and RGB is flawless.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »

There were and are probably still thousands of people using RGB SCART with early model Xboxes ie. non-Xcalibur. I have two Xboxes connected by RGB SCART to two different CRT TVs a 32" WS and a 20" 4:3. One is that LE Green v.1.2 I mentioned, the other is my oldest XBox a v.1.1.

The RGB SCART cables I use are nothing special, one bought from Amazon <£5 ($7) the other from a high street store for similar cost. No banding or other such problem with these TVs.

If there had been some inherent trouble caused by the video encoders everyone would surely have had suffered the same thing and, rightly, complained. The fact is the vast majority didn't. Therefore whatever the problem is it is likely something more complex or more specific to your set up.

You've not said why you're using RGB SCART instead of Component - is there a reason?

daskrabs

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Oct 6 2011, 07:20 PM) View Post

You've not said why you're using RGB SCART instead of Component - is there a reason?

Sony PVM, so no component. Maybe that has something to do with the banding?

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »

I'd never come across Sony PVMs and I've just done a few interesting searches to find out more. If you're talking about something like the Sony PVM 20L5 CRT the spec seems to suggest with the right adapter it is RGB and Component compatible even if it doesn't do the 480p most useful for Xbox use.

Whatever the model/spec it doesn't explain why some Xboxes produce banding with it and not others. Not really important now you've solved it to your satisfaction but if anyone else has any ideas about the causes of this banding I'd still be interested to hear them.