xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ntsc Vs Pal On Xbox (gamma & Alignment Issues)  (Read 86 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Ntsc Vs Pal On Xbox (gamma & Alignment Issues)
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »

Changing PAL to NTSC to enable higher resolutions isn't a suggestion - it's mandatory!

Welcome to the world of old TV broadcast standards. NTSC colours are washed out compared to PAL (from memory the dynamic range for NTSC luminance is lower, and NTSC luminance doesn't go down to zero, it starts at a higher level i.e. black is never better than very dark grey - there's always a small luminance signal). There is nothing you can do about it when using composite - the standard is fixed - but when you use component cables (HD) the problem doesn't exist because the signal isn't NTSC any more, it's YPbPr (a different standard - think of it as a variant of RGB).

For the screen size there is a similar story. It's all to do with overscan and the way NTSC typically has less overscan than PAL does (it's related to the linearity of old analogue TV CRTs and edge effects in the CRT tube, and the drive for optimum picture quality on affordable TV sets - have a look at Wikipedia if you're really interested). The net effect is that the screen seems to be a different size when you switch from PAL to NTSC. UnleashX and XBMC both allow you to resize the screen - a quick search through system settings will get you to the "Screen Calibration" screens for either dash. However, again, you will need to do this separately once you start to use component (HD), because the scan settings are different. The bottom line is that TV signals are analogue, and NTSC, PAL and component (HD) are all different, so you need to make "analogue" adjustments when you switch between them.

PsychoNavigator

• Archived User
Ntsc Vs Pal On Xbox (gamma & Alignment Issues)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Apr 22 2010, 10:26 PM) View Post

Changing PAL to NTSC to enable higher resolutions isn't a suggestion - it's mandatory!

Welcome to the world of old TV broadcast standards. NTSC colours are washed out compared to PAL (from memory the dynamic range for NTSC luminance is lower, and NTSC luminance doesn't go down to zero, it starts at a higher level i.e. black is never better than very dark grey - there's always a small luminance signal). There is nothing you can do about it when using composite - the standard is fixed - but when you use component cables (HD) the problem doesn't exist because the signal isn't NTSC any more, it's YPbPr (a different standard - think of it as a variant of RGB).

For the screen size there is a similar story. It's all to do with overscan and the way NTSC typically has less overscan than PAL does (it's related to the linearity of old analogue TV CRTs and edge effects in the CRT tube, and the drive for optimum picture quality on affordable TV sets - have a look at Wikipedia if you're really interested). The net effect is that the screen seems to be a different size when you switch from PAL to NTSC. UnleashX and XBMC both allow you to resize the screen - a quick search through system settings will get you to the "Screen Calibration" screens for either dash. However, again, you will need to do this separately once you start to use component (HD), because the scan settings are different. The bottom line is that TV signals are analogue, and NTSC, PAL and component (HD) are all different, so you need to make "analogue" adjustments when you switch between them.

Okay, I changed it back over to NTSC again, and set it to 720p. I've got a 32" Samsung (not a full HD) so I'm assuming that should be sufficient.  I also did the calibration. I'm never sure about the corners, I just set it so the lines just disappear, and visually try to square up the box.

Now my video files seem to be a bit weird in their aspect ratio but this warrants further research. It could just be that my sources arent a true 16:9, as in the black bars are included in the file itself.

Thanks for your post,