xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Yes You Can Finally - Enable HD Settings Through XBMC Since Feb 2007  (Read 106 times)

ldotsfan

• Archived User

As a result of http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4283477
and
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4283965

I made an accidental discovery - yes, you don't need msdash anymore to enable HD settings anymore and you can do it with XBMC since Feb 2007 thanks to somebody called kreet. So all recent copies of XBMC should work. I tested with a Dec 2007 copy.

For softmods users, you need to disable your virtual eeprom first. If you use Kingroach Ndure, running e:\ndts\default.xbe will disable it and you can then launch XBMC to change the HD settings. It's found under System settings->Video Hardware.

Finally we are rid of this last nuisance and I don't know why it took so long to be known - probably due to the softmod packages which used nkpatcher's virtual eeprom feature.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Yes You Can Finally - Enable HD Settings Through XBMC Since Feb 2007
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(mossopinc @ Jun 8 2008, 02:00 AM) View Post

stuck at this bit. For softmods users, you need to disable your virtual eeprom first. If you use Kingroach Ndure, running e:\ndts\default.xbe will disable it and you can then launch XBMC to change the HD settings. It's found under System settings->Video Hardware.
i have installed ndure and ran e:\ndts\default.xbe changed to 720p in its settings and saved but HD setting in xbmc are still grayed out

I meant when you executed e:\ndts\default.xbe , then launch XBMC from Ndure Toolset filemanager, not change unleashX settings.

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

NOTE: if nkpatcher finds a eeprom.bin file in the path that it was compiled with it WILL use it instead of the real one.....
so if you change the real one and still have a old copy in the path it will use that one......
that is why it is best to NOT have a eeprom.bin file in it's path, then it will shadow the real one at boot ( the one that was changed by using NDTS)

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »

Evox is not a softmod......... it's a dashboard.

If you haven't already done it, backup your eeprom with Evox, and ftp it to your PC.

To enable HD:
- boot with Frosty's Rescue Disc
- ftp Enigmah to your Xbox
- run Enigmah to switch your Xbox to NTSC
- boot with eject to run MS Dash, and enable the HD modes*
* or use XBMC to do this.

To update your softmod to enable VGA do the following:
 - take the stock 5960 C files from Slayers or CASH
 - run Kingroach NDURE 3.1 on top of the stock C. Select the RGB option.
 - boot your Xbox with Frosty's rescue disc
 - use ftp to delete your existing C, and to transfer the NDURE C and E across to your Xbox

Note that this only works for 1.0-1.5 Xboxes, not for 1.6.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

If you are using the enigmah switch disk to do this, bear in mind you do this BEFORE you turn off the virtual-eeprom(ndure)

Wrong. You have to turn off virtual eeprom first. If you don't, then you simply end up changing the virtual eeprom, not the real one, and at next reboot your softmod reads the unchanged real eeprom and you are back where you started. Your error 21 problem was nothing to do with virtual eeprom being off or on.

"Disable/Enable Ndure" is how you turn the eeprom on or off

Wrong again. You turn virtual eeprom on or off by making sure that there isn't an eeprom.bin file on C:\ then by putting eeprom_off.bin in E:\NKP11\, or by booting with Frosty's rescue disc. Disable/Enable Ndure can leave your Xbox effectively unmodded!!

The chosen resolution setting sticks regardless of the virtual eeprom

And wrong again. The changes stick in XBMC only AFTER you've enabled the modes in the eeprom by turning off virtual eeprom and enabling the HD modes in the real eeprom.

Rocker1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

I'd also like to add there was no eeprom.bin file to be found on C:\ at all on my Xbox and the "put the EEPROM_off.bin on E:\NKP11." didnt work for me on its own either.

I used Kingroach's NDURE 3.1 to install UnleashX originally, I tried finding the "eeprom.bin" with my very first softmod install and couldnt locate it. Would anyone like to tell me the full path theirs was found in?

Either way Ive had HD enabled on 2 Xboxs which stuck successfully after reboots with the method I described.

Rocker1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

Just a precaution but since I cant see an eeprom anywhere except the ones I backed up... how will I know if the virtual eeprom is enabled?

It has to be there under a different name IMO because the settings werent sticking till I disabled Ndure and made the changes and then re-enabled.

E:\NKP11 is empty, Ive never seen a eeprom.bin on C:\ and  E:\NKP11\ shadowC_off.bin never made a difference.

Just want to make sure Im not risking damaging the eeprom.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »

1. e:\ndts\default.xbe loads PBL Metoo - bios loader.  NKP is kicked out from memory and virtual eeprom is hence disabled. Frosty's disc uses the same bios loader.

2. EEPROM_ off.bin is just any regular file. Its unique filename gives its capability under NKP and not the contents of the file.  You can copy any file from the xbox hdd and rename it to this filename and place it under E:\NKP11 folder. For Kingroach Ndure 3.0, root of E:\ would be the right location for this file.

Rocker1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »

Hmmm I dont know if it was because the text file was empty but I think option 2 is working now, I added an explanatory line of text inside the EEPROM_off.bin and did a full reboot(which Im not sure I was doing to be honest it could be that I was loading up XMBC from UnleashX's file browser after placing the EEPROM_off.bin file instead of doing a full system reboot first.

I think the virtual EEPROM working, Ive noticed differences when the file is there and when its not so thats an indication.

So maybe my risky operation is unnecessary but it works if none of the other alternatives are doing the trick, you just have to be carefull or you'll end up Hotswapping.

Jibbajaba

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »

Sorry to bump an older topic but I wanted to add my own experience with this issue in case it helps someone else in the future.

My friend gave me his softmodded XBox the other day.  The first thing I did was upgrade the hard drive using xboxhdm.  I then replaced the dashboard with XBMC and started loading all of the emulators and games onto it from my chipped xbox directly through ftp.  The whole time I was doing this I had the new xbox hooked up to a small Commodore 1702 monitor using AV cables.  Once I had the XBox all set up the way I wanted it, I brought it out to my living room to hook it up to my HDTV (which is where I had intended to keep it).  Only after hooking it up did I realize that the HD options in XBMC were unavailable because they had never been set in the original dash.  

For various reason all of the options outlined in this thread would not work for me.  For whatever reason I am unable to launch the MS dash from any file explorer, and I do not have that ntds business.  This is what I did, and it may or may not work for you.

For starters, my softmod uses that nkpatcher business.  I don't know anything about it because I am not the one who modded this deal.  I have only chipped xboxes, I have never softmodded.  Anyway, the set up I have is done with nkpatcher and a shadowc.  

You would need to have the following available to you:
-Frosty's Rescue Disc (downloaded from the usual place)
-Splinter Cell (or one of the other games used for softmodding):  Splinter Cell is $1.99 at Gamestop
-Memory Card: $2.99 from Gamestop
-Hacked gamesave files from you-know-where.
-A means of getting the gamesave files onto the mem card (I used my other XBox which is chipped)

I ftp'ed into my REAL C drive (NOT the shadowc) using the evox rescue dash and replaced the patched xboxdash.xbe with the original xboxdash.xbe (after backing up the patched one, obviously).  This disables the softmod.  Upon resetting the XBox, the normal dash is loaded.  I then enabled all HD modes.  Reset.  I then used Splinter Cell and a memory card loaded with a gamesave exploit to load an Evox dash, turned on the ftp server, and restored the patched xboxdash.xbe in the root of C.  Restarted the XBox again.  With the softmod restored, it loaded XBMC but I still didn't have HD modes available.  When I ftp to my xbox with XBMC running, I see the shadow C instead of the real C, so I had to once again boot into a rescue dash so that I could ftp into the real C.  Then I renamed the eeprom.bin file in my C root to eeprom_off.bin (although I think you can rename it to anything else since you are just making it so that the virtual eepron is not used).  Reboot, and with the REAL eeprom loaded instead of the virtual job, HD settins were available in XBMC.

Like I said this worked for me based on how my XBox was set up when I got it.  Depending on how yours is done, it may or may not work for you.

Chris