xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some Extra Ports  (Read 134 times)

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »

The one I made is mixing the standard A/V Diagram with part (the RGB part) of a High-Def A/V and also mixing it with the S-Video which came from the Advanced A/V. So I'm mixing all of them here. And I have a feeling it will work I'm just not sure what the switches do...

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »

^^ Please help...

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

Spoon feeding, but I'm bored anyways...

The switches are built into the cables with wire jumpers, so whenever you insert a video cable, it jumpers the appropriate pins without you even knowing. This resets the video encoder, and then the entire xbox, which can be seen by removing and re-inserting the video cable. When no switches are jumpered, no video pins are active. The point of soldering in the switches is so that when a cable isn't installed, then the switches can be flipped to activate the video outlets that you installed.

The 3 switches can be jumpered instead of using switches or a cable, although it will mean your cable type will ALWAYS be plugged in. If you are only planning on ever using, say, composite video (red white yellows) then you can jumper them, and then you'll have no worries. However if you plan on going to component (YPbPr / the Red Green Blue white red) then you'll have to desolder the bridges and then look into soldering switches. Also, with the switches installed, your jumpers will interact with the switches in the following example:

Pin: . . . 9 . 11 . 13
Switch: 0 . . 1. . 1
Cable:. 0 . . 0 . . 1
Result: 0 . . 1 . . 1

Basically, any time a switch OR the cable's built in switch, OR both are on, the pin will be grounded. So keep that in mind. Anything else, feel free to ask. smile.gif Hope this was helpful.

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

Alright well I'm not a genius when it comes to this stuff but I still am working on this (and my xbox-project)

Anyway your writing was so technical it was hard to understand (thats a compliment) anyway I barely understood some part about jumping the wires I think, so I made a another diagram, so here is my conditions:

So I'm going to use the RGB cables the good 'ol Standard A/V Ports most often, but every now and again I'll use the YBrPr ports or Advanced A/V ports. Also I might use S-Video every now and again. Now I will never use more than one at a time... So I think that means something. So is the modified diagram below correct???

(IMG:http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7933/extraports2hc1.png)

p.s. i know the last post was months ago, but I got so into the other parts of my project that I kinda left this out till the end.

yaywoop

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

you do realize that you will need a switch right?
13+11 will work for component and 11+9 will work for s-video

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

so if 13+11 will work for component and 11+9 will work for s-video which ones will I need for the Advanced A/V ports?

yaywoop

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »

you just said it.
the sound ports work on all modes.
optical and coaxial sound only works with high-def (11+13) or advanced (11+9) modes
with 11+13 grounded, you will get component output but no s-video. ----- high-def AV
with 11+9 grounded, you will get s-video and composite output but no component. ----- advanced AV

so if you want to have all the outputs on the back of your xbox, you will also need a switch to change between output modes.

This post has been edited by yaywoop: Sep 28 2007, 02:04 AM

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

So your saying if I drop the S-Video port and just have the Standard A/V and the Advanced A/V, all I have to do is connect 11 to 13?

So this would be right?
(IMG:http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6030/extraports3uq1.png)

yaywoop

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »

when i say 11+13 i mean that they both need to be grounded (10, 12 and 14 are ground pins
so you want component and svideo or composite at the same time?
unfortunately, when component video is enabled, NO other video signals come out of the xbox.

it is as simple as in this image http://img172.images...ck9e8bfcxr1.png

the outputs you see for each mode is what is avalable in that mode, the only way to get component video and any other output is to have a switch

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »

Yeah I don't plan on using them both at the same time, and incase you didn't read my last post very throughly i decided to drop the s-video.

so i should connect 13 to 10 and 12 to 11.. then it will work or do i still need a switch to switch between advanced a/v and standard a/v? if so how do i do that?

yaywoop

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

ok. try this:

(IMG:http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/yaywoop/xboxAV.jpg)

when the switch is to the left 11+9 are grounded (advanced AV)
when its to the right 13+11 are grounded (High Def AV)

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »

Okay thanks a lot but just a few more things to clarify.

I noticed that in your diagram (similar to mine) you left the s-video port in there... Were you meaning to leave it there or it it supposed to be there?

Also your diagram was hard to follow, is the one below right (excluding the s-video port which probably shouldnt be there)
(IMG:http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4217/extraports4ke5.png)

and finally what kinda switch is that, or in other words whats its called? a dptp switch?

speedypancake

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(Dark Master @ Sep 28 2007, 04:10 AM) View Post

and finally what kinda switch is that, or in other words whats its called? a dptp switch?

It's called Single Pole Double Throw (spdt) switch.
What exactly are you master of anyway??...

yaywoop

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »

I just used one of your diagrams and added a switch. yeah a spdt switch like this: (IMG:http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/p7673.jpg) or even (IMG:http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/p7602.jpg)
basically any switch with 3 pins or even 6 pins (just 2 switches in one) will work

the svideo port is supposed to be there (assuming you want it) and it will work when the switch is to the left (Advanced AV mode)
if you don't want s-video you can ignore it

can you just go over exactly what you want and what you are trying to acheve here? are you trying to put all these plugs on the back of your xbox or just the 'yellow red and white' composite and audio plugs? because if you are only putting the composite plugs on the back i can simplify this a lot for you

This post has been edited by yaywoop: Sep 29 2007, 05:15 AM

Dark Master

• Archived User
Some Extra Ports
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »

Okay look I bought a broken DVD case, and I'm doing a case transplant and I wanted the ports on the back to work. The DVD player case had The Advnaced A/V ports, the Standard A/V ports, and an S-Video port, so I wanted to be able to use them all.

also real fast, when the switch is to the left its ADVANCED A/V (the YBrPr ports and the S-Video port) And when the swtich is to the right its in STANDARD A/V (the yellow, red, and white ports)  <<That right?

This post has been edited by Dark Master: Sep 29 2007, 02:22 PM
Pages: 1 [2] 3