xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pal High Def Issues  (Read 36 times)

reticent

• Archived User
Pal High Def Issues
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have a PAL softmodded xbox and have just imported a high-def av pack. It's all hooked up but I'm having trouble getting the xbox to output in the high def resolutions. I've run the enigma video changer and have changed the mode to NTSC. I've booted up the softmod menu (booting xbox with tray open) and have enabled the high-def resolutions but this hasnt made a difference. I'm told the only way to correctly do it is using the official MS dash. It was rumoured you could use avalaunch, I booted that up, tried to change the reso at got a message saying that it cant modify the eeprom when the hdd is locked. As I use a softmod I'm pretty sure it's neccassary to have the hdd locked.

I cant seem to boot into the official MS dash, I navigate to C: boot xboxdash.xbe and I just get a black screen, nothing happens. Is there a quick fix to getting the msdash back?

Thanks

nexx

• Archived User
Pal High Def Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

I had the exact same problem. What I ended up doing was reverting the softmod after using enigma, using the MS dash to set output to 720p. Then softmodded it again  laugh.gif

Hostile Species

• Archived User
Pal High Def Issues
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »

Hi dudes, firstly your TV has to be 480p or HDTV compatible,and you have to use the advanced AV leads and component or HD input into your TV,into the progressive or HD compatible input.
Then your xbox needs to be in NTSC mode using the enigmah switching app,then you need to set the 480p/720p/1080i settings in the original xbox dash i.e xboxdash.xbe.This can be tricky if the xboxdash doesnt output in progressive mode,but you can blindly navigate the menu, like this : down 2 press a(settings),down 3 press a (video),down 1 press a (480p) ,press left then a (this screen asks if your tv supports 480p),then power off and power on,avalaunch should now tell you have 480p enabled.

There are further settings for 720p and 1080i but very few games that support it,I have found 480p works best all round,I have just hex-edited the xboxdash.xbe to work in 480p using the forums here.
Hope that helps.

kungfu

• Archived User
Pal High Def Issues
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »

I had the same problem, attempting to boot into msdash just gave me a black screen so couldnt get to the hd settings, installing UIX solved this as it gives u access to the ms dash settings, just install it as an app and run it

brilliantdonkey

• Archived User
Pal High Def Issues
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »

kungfu is right, most hacked MS dashes, in addition to UIX, should give you the ability to switch video modes (but yeah, UIX is a nice dash in general :-P )

Also, just to correct any misinformation floating around, the Advanced AV pack will NOT give you 480p. Only the HD pack or some sort of VGA adapter can. The Advanced AV Pack simply adds S-Video output.

You might be unable to boot to your original msdash if your clock is not set. The alternative dashboards usually overlook this, so they would still work fine. Try setting your clock in your current dash and see if that helps.