xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox To 5.1 Rca Inputs?  (Read 90 times)

zetski210

• Archived User
Xbox To 5.1 Rca Inputs?
« on: January 15, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(basquille @ Jan 16 2007, 09:19 AM) View Post

Bit of a longshot but any way around this? I think a decoder would do it also but they're not exactly cheap so a cheaper alternative would be preferable.

The Xbox outputs surround sound in digital format.  Your sound system does not have a decoder inside - hence the analog 6-inputs.  You will need something to convert the encoded digital format to discrete analog signals.  You can either use something like this to decode the 5.1 channels for your system, or get a new system (which might upset your gf  unsure.gif )

QUOTE(basquille @ Jan 16 2007, 09:19 AM) View Post

This looks like it'll do it.... will it?

This will give you component video, composite video, s-video, digital optical audio & stereo audio.  No cable exists to give you 5.1 discrete from any console - only digital format.

In summary:
   - If you want 5.1 audio, you'll need a decoder.
   - If you want analog stereo, use the above cable and connect the red & white RCA leads into you system.

dalesd

• Archived User
Xbox To 5.1 Rca Inputs?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(basquille @ Jan 15 2007, 06:25 PM) View Post

Analog stereo - this would be 2 channel i assume (emitting from 2 speakers)?

Often the receivers can do some processing on that analog stereo signal so you get some sound out of the surround speakers.  The simplest is "all channel stereo", where it takes the left channel and applies it equally to all the left side speakers.  (and it does the same for the right side too.)  

I suggest you explain to your gf that you really appreciate the gift and the thought, but that the best thing would be to exchange it for a 5.1 receiver (or a gift certificate to a nice restaurant, where you'll take her for dinner).