xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Coaxial Audio Out By Modding Adv. Av Pack  (Read 36 times)

BigYellow

• Archived User
Coaxial Audio Out By Modding Adv. Av Pack
« on: April 27, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »

Anyone?

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »

Yep you can use a standard RCA cable. I did the same mod on my old xbox and an RCA cable worked fine for me.

The way i see it, it doesnt matter because the signal is digital, it wont matter about the type of cable  (within reason)

BigYellow

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »

Alright, well like I said, I've got a couple spare RCA cables kickin around, so I'll try those out before I buy a special coaxial audio cable.

As far as the female connector that I'll be installing into the AV pack goes, should I spring for the gold-plated one? Or since it's digital, will it all be the same?

Thanks,

-Biggie!

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Apr 28 2006, 03:38 PM) View Post

I've always heard it was a bad idea to use those cables. Supposedly, they don't support the bandwith required by digital audio. I've never tried it, so I can't really say.
Then what's the point of posting speculations? dry.gif

I have both an Xbox and a PC with a nForce2 chipset with Soundstorm. The Xbox uses optical, the PC coax. My receiver supports both and tells me the AC3 signal is the same. sleep.gif

Yes, optical supports more bandwidth compared to coaxial and is immune to electrical interference, but it is not needed for digital audio. S/PDIF, AC3 and DTS all use relative low bandwidth which can easily be transported over coaxial.

In my opinion, the only real reason for using optical instead of coaxial would be if there was support for 6 uncompressed/lossless audio channels. However, I think that with a bit of effort (and lossless compression), even those 6 channels can be send over coax.

And no, sound quality doesn't differ. Digital == Digital. When electical interference affects the signal when it runs over coax, the decoder will stop for a second before picking up the signal again (like you would pull the plug out of the socket for a second).

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Apr 30 2006, 09:24 PM) View Post

Your post has nothing to do with the topic .
I replied to your post, which was placed in this topic. The quoted part of your post was just as off-topic as my post was.

However, I might see my error now:
I've always heard it was a bad idea to use those cables.
I read too fast and thought you were talking about coaxial cable in general. My apologies for that.

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 04:52:00 AM »

I also just want to mention i have my PC and my xbox using standard RCA cables for the coax output to my surround amp and they both work fine. Also, the frequencies  that coax use is only 44khz isnt it? I dont see how a wire couldnt handle that frequency unless it was rediculously thin or something. I might be worng.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

chill out everyone.  mad.gif

A cheap RCA cable works fine for digital audio.

BigYellow

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

Well, that escalated quickly... blink.gif

Thanks guys, I'll be doing the modification tonight... I hope it goes well.

-Biggie!