xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Way To Connect Xbox To Lcd Monitor (vga)?  (Read 30 times)

DWL

• Archived User
Best Way To Connect Xbox To Lcd Monitor (vga)?
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

Hi. Still relatively new to this forum, but I have read through all the FAQs for the sections I'm reading/posting in. Hopefully this question isn't something that would be obviously answered by FAQ/searching, since that means I missed something and that's no fun.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Question: What's are the best ways to get a softmodded XBox hooked up to a computer monitor (with high def resolution)? The two main methods I've found are (1) the commerical solutions (e.g. Neoya X2VGA, VGA Box, Magic VGA Box) and (2) the great information provided on the page - http://antibeat.host.sk/vgaguide/

My monitor is a Planar PX171M-BK (purchased through Dell) and it accepts standard VGA and DVI-D input. The Xbox once again is a softmodded box (krayzies NDURE softmod w/splinter cell).

Mainly I wanted to see if there were other ways or updates for the above methods since I wanted to be sure, before either shelling out or breaking apart one of my old video cards.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Thanks in advance for any replies, and apologies if I missed something obvious or if this msg constitutes "spam".

This post has been edited by DWL: Apr 21 2006, 07:50 PM

funnyperson1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

You know it actually seems like VGA monitors work better with softmods using dr.oldschools patch here:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...dpost&p=2789081

Other than that I think the VGA cable you use is the same.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(DWL @ Apr 21 2006, 08:20 PM) *

Mainly I wanted to see if there were other ways or updates for the above methods since I wanted to be sure, before either shelling out or breaking apart one of my old video cards.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)
Personally, I would use an VGA extension cable instead of sacrificing an old video card. But then again, that's me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If you want to do it with a softmod, I highly recommend Nkpatcherv10+ (look in the XBE exploits-forum) with VGA support. Nkpatcher patches your BIOS instead of replacing it in RAM (like Phoenix BIOS Loader does) and it works on every retail kernel. Remember that this only works on V1.0-V1.5 Xbox'. If you have a V1.6/V1.6b, you will need to look at a commercial solution (X2VGA2, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any replies, and apologies if I missed something obvious or if this msg constitutes "spam".
Well, it's a technical question about video-information, so you are in the right forum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: Apr 21 2006, 08:48 PM

DWL

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Apr 21 2006, 02:18 PM) *

Personally, I would use an VGA extension cable instead of sacrificing an old video card.

Hi. Thanks for the response (funnyperson1, The Zep Man)!

Would you mind explaining what a VGA extension cable is and the best places to get one? The box is a 1.4 I believe, regarding the other comment.

DWL

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

Sorry about that earlier question. Stupid me. Sometimes the most obvious answer... is the right one. I guess I should have listened to Ockham this time around. (I thought a VGA extension would be something more than just... a simple extension.)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

I'm still unclear on a few things though. If you just run the output through a converter box (X2VGA, etc.), will the resolution  be >= 420p? Or will it just be a regular composite quality image run through the LCD/monitor? In a similar vein, if I have a converter, will it still be useful/necessary to install the NKpatcher/dr.oldschool patch?

This post has been edited by DWL: Apr 22 2006, 04:25 AM

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(DWL @ Apr 22 2006, 04:56 AM) *

Sorry about that earlier question. Stupid me. Sometimes the most obvious answer... is the right one. I guess I should have listened to Ockham this time around. (I thought a VGA extension would be something more than just... a simple extension.)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
Well, now that you say it... "VGA extension" sounds like some very weird technology. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm still unclear on a few things though. If you just run the output through a converter box (X2VGA, etc.), will the resolution  be >= 420p? Or will it just be a regular composite quality image run through the LCD/monitor? In a similar vein, if I have a converter, will it still be useful/necessary to install the NKpatcher/dr.oldschool patch?
If you use a converter like the X2VGA2, the resolution will be 480p (720*480) in most games. It 'simply' converts the YUV-signal (which the Xbox gives in HDTV-mode) to an RGB-signal and changes the frequencies. The good point about this solution is that it is completely hardware-based and does not depend on any software on the Xbox. Using NKPatcher with VGA or a BIOS with support for VGA won't add anything.

Note that your Xbox should output NTSC in order to enable and use 480p. If you have a PAL Xbox, you can convert it with Enigmah Video Switcher.

[edit]
The latest NKPatcher can make a difference, even with the X2VGA2 (and similar devices). You can enable "force 480p" in order to let all of your games play in 480p. There are some 'stubborn' games which only want to give 480i (720*480 interlaced). NKPatcher can force them to run in 480p (720*480 progressive). This function is independent of the VGA support in NKPatcher (which should be disabled with a device like the X2VGA).

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: Apr 22 2006, 08:15 AM

DWL

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:15:00 AM »

TZM, thanks again for the thoughtful reply. I'm still not sure which to do though (hope I'm not missing something obvious).

How 'bout if I pose a hypothetical. Say you've got an xbox in my situation (1.4 w/ softmod) and someone walks up with both a VGA convert cable (like on http://antibeat.host.sk/vgaguide/) and the X2VGA converter. They offer to hook either up and do all the config. You pay nothing, you have to make no effort.

Which solution would you prefer and why?

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(DWL @ Apr 22 2006, 08:46 AM) *

TZM, thanks again for the thoughtful reply. I'm still not sure which to do though (hope I'm not missing something obvious).
No problem. It's sometimes better to think twice about certain choices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

How 'bout if I pose a hypothetical.
Shoot!

Say you've got an xbox in my situation (1.4 w/ softmod) and someone walks up with both a VGA convert cable (like on http://antibeat.host.sk/vgaguide/) and the X2VGA converter. They offer to hook either up and do all the config. You pay nothing, you have to make no effort.

Which solution would you prefer and why?
I would choose the X2VGA2, provided that I do also get the official MS HDTV Pack for free. A HDTV pack is required when using the Xbox with the X2VGA2, and I have read very bad experiences with third-party packs on Xbox-Scene.

I choose the X2VGA2 because it gives better quality (as it is made of higher quality components compared to a homemade cable), is monitor/Xbox/other device independent and can be easily used on another (1.6/1.6b) Xbox and a lot of other devices:
(IMG:http://www.gamefreax.com/images/x2vga2_applicationexamples.jpg)

Remember, this is only my opinion in the situation where it would cost me no money. I have a small personal project in which I create my own VGA 'pack', which works at the moment. Still need to finish it. I started this because it is cheaper compared to a X2VGA2 and an HDTV pack and because it is more fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »

In my opinion, the best way to go is with the X2VGA2. I bought one the day after it came out, and I've been completely satisfied with it since. I've tried doing VGA mods in the past, with no success. If you're willing to spend money, get an X2VGA2. biggrin.gif

veeper

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »