xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Textbook's VGA Tutorial  (Read 126 times)

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Icantfindanick @ Mar 14 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post

Well, forget the previous post I did some time ago =x

I've done the cable properly, without the right bios the image looks green, with the vga ind-bios the colours look perfect, however there is a small problem in both modes: the screen goes black for a few seconds randomly, sometimes some minutes pass without happening but sometimes it happens every few seconds and gets really annoying, not to say that games get unplayable.

Hm, I use an x2vga+ and have noticed the screen blacking for a few seconds repeatedly, at times. Never had it longer than a few secs. The x2vga is converting component signals to vga singals, so not sure if this is technically any different from the monitors point of view. The sound the monitor makes appears like it's trying to change video modes for some reason (even though the end mode is exactly the same). Wondering if it's confusing the signals it's receiving? I'm not sure if this in an xbox issue or a monitor issue.

Icantfindanick

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joshua Wood @ Mar 14 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post
The sound the monitor makes appears like it's trying to change video modes for some reason (even though the end mode is exactly the same). Wondering if it's confusing the signals it's receiving? I'm not sure if this in an xbox issue or a monitor issue.

My monitor doesn't do any sound as it is an lcd, but it is exactly the same kind of blacking that would do on a video mode change. What I'll try is adding the circuit to separate the sync signal and check if that solves the problem in my case.

fixxxer575

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(yojimbo2k @ Mar 9 2006, 06:11 AM) View Post

Hi Textbook

Great tutorial - all these tutorials are great as I'm attempting to get VGA output from my box... with no joy as of yet I might add. I updated to the latest MS Dash, am using an Iiyama flat panel that claims to sync on green, and have a mod chip installed. two quick questions for you though:

are your pin diagrams viewed from the back of the plug? e.g. I presume the 15pin d layout is from the back of the plug where the solder points are?

the avip plug numbering is throwing me a little. I presume the top end is the narrow point. however when I orient my plug to the same as your diagrams the pin tracks go lshort/long/short etc. instead of long/short/long like yours (if you follow me). Should I just ignore that entirely and presume that the numbering it the same just from the plug orientation?

I had the same problem the long pin tracks are short and the short ones are long compared to the diagram.  I just went ahead and assumed that the pinout was correct.

I'm not sure if my CRT monitor supports SOG its a Nokia Multigraph 447Za and it wasn't on the list.  When I plug my Xbox into my monitor the screen just has lines going down it.  Does this mean my monitor doesn't support SOG or does it mean that the xbox isn't configured to the right resolution?  I'm using XBMC as my dashboard and I have it set to autodetec my resolution.  Does that work or do I have to set it blindly?

Thanks

Textbook

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »

You will have to set it manually to 480p, one way or another.  Easiest way is to plug in  your VGA cable hooked up to your monitor and boot to the MS Dash.  You won't see anything, but you can temporarily enable 480p with the button pad combo.

Simultaneously hit all these buttons and hold them down for a second:
 - Left Trigger
 - Right Trigger
 - Left Thumbstick (click down)
 - Right Thumbstick (click down)

This will temporarily enable 480p and you should then be able to at least see the MS Dash.  When you can see it, go to the Video settings and set the 480p to enabled so that it will stay enabled until you want to change it back again.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »

The main problem with the vga bios, not to mention that some games revert back to green, is that there is no viable solution for 720p.  First of all, most monitors will not be compatible with the tri-level sync for 720p, and thereby produce an unbalanced, dark, color ratio.  And even if your monitor does except a tri-level sync, there is still problems with 720p, that being the corners of the screen are fubared; the blacks are white, and there is a wave pattern.

For those who use dr oldschools nkpatcher, does 720p work flawlessly, or at all?  If so, we need it for conexant xbox's, and need them included in some hacked bios.

Because of this the vga bios are not a good solution for xbox vga, and a transcoder is the only complete solutions.

pulnip

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »

so what kind of refresh rates would i  get with a vga cable ?
PAL box

50hz ?

Textbook

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Mar 15 2006, 05:56 PM) View Post

The main problem with the vga bios, not to mention that some games revert back to green, is that there is no viable solution for 720p.  First of all, most monitors will not be compatible with the tri-level sync for 720p, and thereby produce an unbalanced, dark, color ratio.  And even if your monitor does except a tri-level sync, there is still problems with 720p, that being the corners of the screen are fubared; the blacks are white, and there is a wave pattern.

For those who use dr oldschools nkpatcher, does 720p work flawlessly, or at all?  If so, we need it for conexant xbox's, and need them included in some hacked bios.

Because of this the vga bios are not a good solution for xbox vga, and a transcoder is the only complete solutions.

I use my VGA for 480p.  720p would be nice, but I'm not pushing it.  I have a monitor that supports 720p, but it will not display the Xbox VGA correctly.  Although a transcoder would work a lot better, it was a lot cheaper to make a cable and it was kind of fun.

I actually want to do this project where I would make my own VGA transcoder that would convert Component to VGA much like the V-Digi does.  It looks challenging so I would love to try making it.  Plus, I could use it on XBL, so that would be great.  Anyway, HERE is the link to the XS forum topic, and my post has a link to an old, translated schematic.  I have asked if anybody has an updated schematic or perhaps clearer (English) instructions.

DDz

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »

Very nice tutorial, but I have still a few questions:

Some backround info:
- I want to use my Xbox with my 19" 16:10 Viewsonic VA1912w-v2.
- I have v1.0 PAL XBOX with Conexant videoencoder, Kernel 4034 and Dash 5960.
- I have Krayzies Softmod 1.1.1 installed with dualboot (like the quide said)
- I am using standard RGB cable with 3RCA (1xcomposite video and 2xaudio)
- When I start Xbox from powerbutton, all works as should. Just love XBMC!  love.gif
- When I start Xbox with tray open, Xbox loads the ind 5001 bios, goes to EvoX and looks pink/green.
- When I choose MSDash from there, screen goes unreadable ("Green fast moving small boxes tilt") ;P
This is with the standard av cable.

When using the SOG VGA cable I Get:
- Start from Powerbutton = NO IMAGE, go to MSDASH = NOIMAGE
- Trayopen start = NO IMAGE, go to MSDASH = NOIMAGE

- I now have ordered the LM1881 Video sync separator

And on with THE QUESTIONS:

- When I get no picture with SOG VGA-cable, does that mean my monitor does NOT support SOG?
- Will VGA output work with softmodded PAL Xbox?
- Do I have to change videomode to NTSC? How?
- Can I change the videomode to NTSC / 480p without flashing the real BIOS?
- Can the videomode be selected between PAL / NTSC only with the AV cable modeselect grounding?
- I think I have done quite well since I am this far, but what should I do next?

DDz

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

I have managed to change the REAL eeprom from PAL to NTSC with enigma.
Still no image comes from the SOG VGA-cable..

- When I get no picture with SOG VGA-cable, does that mean my monitor does NOT support SOG?
- Can the videomode be selected between PAL / NTSC only with the AV cable modeselect grounding?
- I think I have done quite well since I am this far, but what should I do next?

[/quote]

DDz

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

When using the SOG VGA cable I Get:

-The Xbox Recognising the cable as HDTV cable.
-A readable B/W video feed from luminance out.
Which I used to start XBMC where on system info, I can see what type of cable I have.. smile.gif
After that I restarted Xbox, Went to M$Dash and set the following video settings:
Normal, 480p=YES, 720p/1080i=NO Then went back to mainmenu in M$Dash, restarted Xbox....
Now I get only black/White Flickering screen where I canNOT see any menus etc from luminance..
The Luminance lead is also the Green Component video out in HDTV mode..

So Now I just need to wait for the video sync separator to arrive? The LM1881 that is..  ???

Should the TFT Display show something even if it does NOT support sync on green???

Thanks.

mcbeat

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

hi , im going to try this thanks to ur tut

i'v got a vga cable like the one you metion

http://www.pcconnect...SourceID=k22350

i'v cut off the end to get the wires and solder them onto the AVIP

i opened the AVIP not the vga connecter , my question is how do i knw what wires to solder where?

the reason i say this, i cant see the pins on the vga cable
there inside the cable its just the wires exposed on the other end of the cable

but the tut shows this as VGA---->AVIP,  thats not what i can do

im going from vga---->other end of vga cut off---> inside avip
so i just got a bunch of wires from a vga cable(other end) i dont have a clue which wires are from what vga pins

thanks

will try post  a pic 2mro

brilliantdonkey

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Textbook @ Mar 15 2006, 11:33 AM) View Post

You will have to set it manually to 480p, one way or another.  Easiest way is to plug in  your VGA cable hooked up to your monitor and boot to the MS Dash.  You won't see anything, but you can temporarily enable 480p with the button pad combo.
This will temporarily enable 480p and you should then be able to at least see the MS Dash.  When you can see it, go to the Video settings and set the 480p to enabled so that it will stay enabled until you want to change it back again.

Is there any equivalent for this for XBMC? I'm having the same problem with not seeing anything if I plug in my VGA cable, and if I use my regular composite cables, I can't set the HD mode in the MS Dash.  blink.gif

Anyway, great tut.

brilliantdonkey

• Archived User
Textbook's VGA Tutorial
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

I have an NTSC Xbox with iND-Bios. Maybe the regular ind-bios doesn't show even the green image then? Because my monitor does the mode-switch-flash when I turn on the xbox, and even supports interlaced (yeah, I was surprised), but I just got a blank screen anyway.

I'm using an LM1881N, too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]