xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga Tutorials Have Differences  (Read 30 times)

Textbook

• Archived User
Vga Tutorials Have Differences
« on: January 03, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »

I know many people have done a VGA out mod before, so I would appreciate some help.  I just got a 19" Flat Panel LCD Monitor last week, so I am finally going to do it to my xbox.  I have found some tutorials/guides, but there are differences with each one.  I will explain.

List of Tutorials That I have Come Across
Xbox-Scene Tutorial by L33 and His Schematic
VGA Mod guide by leeloo5
Xbox-Linux WIKI VGA How-To
Tutorial on XboxRepairGuide
JaredC01's All Video Outputs and VGA Guide

Now, to start off with some differences that I have found with each tutorial.

At the moment, I have no idea if my monitor supports Sync On Green.  I searched and searched, and emailed the manufacturer today.  It is a CMV CT-934D 19" (Tr+Tf) LCD Monitor.  I heard that if your monitor does not have sync on green, and you do a straight VGA port install, it will be really green.  So to test if I had sync on green, I am trying to make a direct output and see if I get a clear picture or a green picture.  I should get something either way.

Pin 8 on the VGA port
According to L33's guide, pin 1 of the AVIP(Xbox) should be connected to pin 8 on the VGA

All other tutorials say that pin 16 of the AVIP(Xbox) should be connected to pin 8 on the VGA

I'm guessing that it is suppossed to be pin 16 on the AVIP that connects to pin 8 on the VGA, simply because it is shown that way for 4 tutorials.  Perhaps L33 had a typo?

Video Mode Connections
According to L33's guide, pins 9 and 10 on the AVIP should be connected to each other, pins 9 and 13 on the AVIP should be connected to each other, and pins 10 and 14 on the AVIP should be connected to each other.

leeloo5's guide says that pins 13 and 14 on the AVIP should be connected to each other, and pins 11 and 12 on the AVIP should be connected to each other.

XboxRepairGuide's VGA guide says that no pins on the AVIP should be connected to each other.  Instead, they connect pin 9 on the AVIP to pin 10 on the VGA, and pin 13 on the AVIP should be connected to pin 14 on the VGA.

Both Xbox Linux's VGA How-To and JaredC01's guide say that pins 9 and 10 on the AVIP should be connected to each other, and pins 13 and 14 on the AVIP should be connected to each other.

As you can see, there are many differences with the video mode select bridges with these tutorials.  According to JaredC01's guide, VGA video mode is selected by bridging "switch 1" and "switch 3" of his guide.  If you take leeloo5's advice and bridge 11 to 12 instead of 9 and 10, this would be "switch 2" and "switch 3" , which is HDTV A/V Mode.

I think those are the differences I noticed between each tutorial.  Somebody please take a look at each one of these and tell me which one is the correct one.  Note that JaredC01's guide and Xbox-Linux's guide are the exact same, and are the only two ones I found that do not have different schematics.  I'm guessing these are mostly typos or simple mistakes by the mod creators or perhaps there are in fact multiple methods of doing this mod.  If you made one of these tutorials, and you notice a mistake, please fix it so that people in the future won't have to ask the same questions I asked.

Thanks.

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

Also noticed that the Xbox AV pinouts on the Xbox motherboard are different between JaredC01's guide and the guide from XboxRepairGuide.

leeloo5

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

one thing is that jareds is a picture of the motherboard, and mine for example is a picture of the cable.  My diagram works for me, though you can read the thread to see some people think it might not.

as far as the different jumper settings that you are refering to, it shouldn't much matter how you ground the jumpers, since there are many grounds.  in addition to this, so people set the jumpers to vga mode (640 x 480), while i set my cable to HD mode, which allows for 720p, 480p, or 1020i, depending on the game.  sometimes even 480i.  basically, my guide is just a hd xbox cable with a sync splitter thrown in and the video sygnals re-routed.

I didn't make up my diagrams, i looked through all the guides you looked at, tried the cable, and when i got it to work, drew up some pictures.  good luck.

leeloo5

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »

the flubber is always 480i, the msdash can be patched for 480p or you can do the thumbstick trick of pressing both thumbsticks and pulling both triggers to toggel between.

i had pretty good luck with hdtv mode (plus i use the cable for a hd projector too so i need 720p), but maybe vga mode is more compatible.

hope they all work, good luck.