xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do You Add Composite In To The Xbox  (Read 75 times)

hoobatech

• Archived User
How Do You Add Composite In To The Xbox
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »

hi, ive just built a DIY projector, its sweeeet. i used a 15 inch lcd with a gigantic 400w SHP bulb for the light engine. the lcd panel just has standard vga cable so i bought a x2vga to hook it up. since this is a bonafiede transcoder im just wondering if it is possible to get Composite or rca signal into the xbox so i can output it to my projector via the x2vga; saving me from buying a seperate transcoder that has vga. Im thinking i should be able to just splice/solder in a set of Composite female plugs into the x2vga input cable (scart? xbox plug) before it reaches actual x2vga box. or even just open the x2vga box and solder my connections where the xbox cable connections are? any help is greatly appreciated, i thought id check with the xperts before i tore into my x2vga.

Trevante

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here, but if you have an X2VGA, you should be using that to connect your Xbox to the LCD/Projector. The X2VGA is a VGA transcoder that is meant to work specifically with the Xbox.

hoobatech

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »

yeah, thats what an x2vga does, and its the only thing i have that outputs to VGA and i'd like to be able to use my cable tv box on the projector but it doesnt have vga output. so i want to know if it is possible to splice a set of composite cable female ends onto the x2vga so that my essentially my cable box is hooked up to x2vga and then to my projector VGA port.

Xbox ---------------------------------------------> x2|vga---(vga output)----->lcd monitor(ala projector)
Cable tv Box(coax and composite out)----->--^
Im curious if i can do this ^
 OR
If i just need to splice it here
Xbox ---------------------------------------------|-------> x2vga---(vga output)----->lcd monitor(ala projector)
Cable tv Box(coax and composite out)-->^

That way it transcodes my cable signal to output vga

Worst case senario im forced to buy a video transcoder that has RCA(composite) inputs and outputs standard VGA
Hope this clarifies what i was asking

hoobatech

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »

anyone?

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

Uh, I thought the reason the VGA adapter worked is because the XBOX outputs component video (3 cables).  Unless your cable box outputs component video (on three video cables, not including the audio cables of course), this won't work.

hoobatech

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »

glad you caught that ed, i think my dvr cable box has component out, but it fraged and they replaced it with an older model. What i can do is have the coax from the street goto the cable box then through composite line(vid, aud l/r) to my hitachi dvd/vcr combo which does output component,svid,composite,coax,dig. audio. so theoretically that should work right, using component( Y,Cb/Pb,Cr/Pr)

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »

I would be very surprised if your VCR up-converts incoming composite to component.  unsure.gif

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

Im also making a 15" LCD projector, (www.lumenlab.com) And want to turn my Xbox into a media center, I know about XBMC, but is their software for your xbox that will take HDTV signals and scale it to your monitor?

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »

This won't work, the X2VGA needs a component progressive signal, which your old VCR and other equipment most likely doesn't support, and I don't know of any way to have the Xbox do the job for you.

You can use them however if you buy a crappy line doubler. The PQ will probably be horrible, but it'd work.

hoobatech

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »

my dvd/vcr combo has a switch on the back for P or I. if i cant get this to work, im thinking either centerstage cs1 box or like a vdigi some sort of transcoder or maybe like an ati all in wonder/hdtv wonder kit. anyone know if my geforce ti 4200 128meg will hold up, or should i invest in a new gfx card as well?

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »

you are better off investing in either a receiver, or a better lcd that has tv input...

my denon 885 upconverts composite to component from my gaming xbox to my tv, and my media center has component leads with optical sound.

if you decide to make a new projector out of a decent 720p (atleast) tv, then you will have vga, possibly dvi, component and a few other inputs. that would probably be the best option for you in this case... analog LCDs dont look that spectacular in the first place.