xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hook Up Xbox To Cable Box?  (Read 175 times)

Dawg605

• Archived User
Hook Up Xbox To Cable Box?
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »

Hello. I have my surround sound plugged into my cable box and it works and I can watch TV and hear the surround sound.

However, I was wondering how I could hook up my Xbox to my cable box and still get surround sound and video.

On the back of my Adelphia DVR box, it looks to have 2 extra video things.

Like, there is 2 yellow, 2 red, and 2 white ports. I plugged the Xbox cables into one of these port things, but I don't know how to switch video modes or anything.

Please help.

ROM666

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »

Are those extra ports labeled? (in/out)

Dawg605

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

They just say above the ports "INPUT VIDEO AND AUDIO".

Oh, and my surround sound wires are hooked into the AUDIO OUT ports.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

You would only get pro logic sound. That is a mono rear channel sent to the rear channels. For 5.1 you would need an advanced A/V pack. As far as what channel to put it on, try 3 or 4 or video1. Not too many options to run through try them all.

ROM666

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »

There is probably a button on the remote to your cable box that says something like "source" or "video".

Dawg605

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

On the top of my remote, there is AUX, VCR, TV, and CABLE buttons beneath the power button. I pushed them all, but nothing happens. I pushed VIDEO SOURCE, but it didn't do anything.

Here's a user's guide, with a big picture of the remote. Please help:

http://adelphia.com/...lyUserGuide.pdf

There is also a picture of the back of the cable box.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »

Maybe those inputs are disabled.

Anyway, to get surround sound you need to use a fiber optic digital audio cable.  And you should plug all the XBOX connections into your surround sound AMP and let it do the video and audio switching for you, not the cable box.

Does your cable box connect to your surround amp with a fiber optic digital audio cable?

Dawg605

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »

I'm not sure if it connects with a fiber optic cable.

I just use a red and white cables and plug into the back of the cable box that says AUDIO OUT.

Oh, and I have a bunch of ports in the back of my reciever for stuff, but if I plug my cables in there for Xbox, will it work? I am pretty sure if I remember correctly the last time I did that, I only got audio through the speakers and no video.

On the back of the reciever on each port, there is red, white, and 2 yellows. One yellow says OUT and one says IN.

deacon187

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »

if you hit aux again it might go to aux 2, all in all thats the way it should be with most cable recievers, if not plug the video into your reciever and the audio straight to your sterio reciever, in this case you will only get sound out of you sterio reciever not your video(DTV,Comcast or what ever reciever) what i found on my tv is the component audio doesnt work with the audio out of the tv, only coax and composite audio input work with the audio out of my set so if i plug my xbox into the HD component 1080i i will get the video and sound on the tv but i wont get sound from the audio out on my tv to my sterio, i need to connect 2 audio sources from the xbox which it doesnt have one to the audio in so i get sound to the tv and a seperate to my sterio reciever to get my surround as my tv audio output dopesnt work with the component connection

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »

Ok, you have many issues.

First if your cable box is only connected to your amp using standard red and white RCA cables you aren't getting digital surround sound.  You are only analog dolby surround.

Second, the reason you didn't get video when connecting to your AMP is because you need to set you amp's video out to go to your TV.  Right now it sounds like you have no video going into or out of your amp.

Dawg605

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

What cables do I need to use to get digital surround? The cables are like expensive Monster cables. They came with like 3 video cables for HDTV, but I didn't need those, so I just ripped off the 2 audio ones to use.

Dawg605

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »

Oh, and I fixed my video problem by doing some omplicated things. I hooked all the wires up to a Mad Catz thing that has 4 sets of ports so you can hook up 4 different things. It works now. I do get surround though.

Like, on Halo 2, if I throw a grenade and spin around, I can hear the explosion going all around the room on the 5 different speakers.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »

You do have surround but it is pro logic just like I said a bunch of posts back. The 2 rear channels are a mono stream so both speakers make the same sound at the same time. To get all 5 speakers to play their own stream you need dolby 5.1 sound. That is an upgraded cable that is not RCA white and red plugs. It is a more expensive cable. For your needs it sounds to me like your setup is just fine. You do get sound out of the rear speakers.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »

Assuming you have an optical output for your XBOX (HDTV pack or Advanced A/V pack) and your amp has an optical input for digital audio, you only need to buy a ~$10~$20 USD fiber optic cable to hook it up.

Dawg605

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

I am going to get the Xbox Advanced AV pack, but can you give me links to the other cables I need please?
Pages: [1] 2