xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help With Hdtv Hook Up.  (Read 196 times)

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« on: October 16, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »

Have a mitsubishi HD READY TV. No HD games because I have no HD receiver. Now I am getting Cox Cable High Definition receiver. Can I piggyback off that to get my XBOX to HiDef? Or, do I have to buy seperate HD Receiver (Mitsubishi HD-1080) to get xbox Hi-Def games to work? How do I connect to cable receiver if that IS an option?
ThankS for help,
Long time gamer, first time High-Def.
LVMike

celinedrules

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

You dont need an HD receiver to use the Xbox in Hi-Def. Just plug in the correct cables and adjust the settings on your TV and Xbox accordingly. An HD receiver is just used to receive cable in HD.

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »

Not correct. My TV is only HD ready. Ready. Meaning I cannot get above 420 without receiver (manual says so).

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 16 2005, 09:38 PM)
Not correct. My TV is only HD ready. Ready. Meaning I cannot get above 420 without receiver (manual says so).

He is correct and you are incorrect.

You can only get 480i TV over the air (OTA) broadcasts but you can view HD in all its glory by just getting the HD component A/V pack for the XBOX and connecting it to the Red, Blue, and Green RCA connectors on the back of your HDTV.  

That's right, you didn't need the receiver to do this and you could've been enjoying HD quality XBOX games from the beginning.  HD Ready means if the output of the device (like your Cox tuner, or your XBOX) supports HD output, the TV can handle it.  If your HDTV couldn't display HD without a Mitsubishi receiver, then how could the Cox set top box do HD on it?  Think about things before you say (type) them.  :grr:

Of course, if it is a Mitsubishi CRT based rear projection HDTV, it will never support 720p.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »

It's quite easy to remember, though.

HD = High Definition (Video)
HDTV = High Definition TeleVision

If the box of a TV says "High Definition/HD Ready", they mean: HDTV Ready. The HD-interface (orange/red, blue, green) is included. What you connect with it (PC, Xbox, HDTV-tuner) is completely up to you.

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 08:05:00 AM »

Thanks for input. Really confused now. I have the Mitsubishi WS-55905. This is a CRT (I think) Rear Projection HD-Ready TV. I remember trying to play some streetball game many moos ago that supported output higher than 420p (or i, don't know) and all I got was sound. Turned my XBOX settings down to 420 and whoalla, worked fine. I think I was using the HD pack back then as well. Now to the TV manual. These are quotes:
HDTV Upgradeable - with the use of an optional HDTV receiver, your television can display High Definition pictures.   BTW front of TV says 1080i.

LVMike

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »

Here is another quote:
All other digital TV signals, such as 720p, need to be converted by the HDTV receiver to any of the above signals.
above meaning SDTV 480i, 480p and HDTV 1080i.

I'm confused.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »

I don't understand why you are confused.

You are talking about TV vs an XBOX.  Big difference.  You don't need a tuner in a monitor to connect an XBOX or DVD player or VCR.

You need a tuner to recieve television channels.  Tuner = reciever.

Anyway, the reason Street Hoops didn't work is it was 720p and not 1080i.  Your TV doesn't support 720p.  You can never display a game in 720p mode on your TV.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 17 2005, 07:40 AM)

HDTV Upgradeable - with the use of an optional HDTV receiver, your television can display High Definition pictures.   BTW front of TV says 1080i.

Yes, again it is talking about tuning HDTV channels.  If you have an HD source, like the XBOX, an HD DVD player, a computer, or your Cox cable set top box, that doesn't apply.

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

In XBOX dashboard I checked that my TV supported 1080i and 480p, NOT 720p. When I played Dragons Lair 3D (only 1080i game I know of (that I have anyway)) it seemed blurry. Same when I loaded up NBA 2K6. Turned off 480p and left 1080i and looks like it used to. Is there a game I could see a difference on or is the blur indicative of a problem?

Sorry for NOOB questions.

LVMike

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 17 2005, 10:51 AM)
In XBOX dashboard I checked that my TV supported 1080i and 480p, NOT 720p. When I played Dragons Lair 3D (only 1080i game I know of (that I have anyway)) it seemed blurry. Same when I loaded up NBA 2K6. Turned off 480p and left 1080i and looks like it used to. Is there a game I could see a difference on or is the blur indicative of a problem?

Sorry for NOOB questions.

LVMike

I dont' fully understand your question.  I use Dragons Lair as well to test 1080i.  Enter the Matrix is also useful as it supports both 720p and 1080i.

If things look blurry in 1080i I'd say that was a problem.  Does your HDTV have an onscreen indicator or a light on the front to tell you when it is runniing in 1080i.  It would be nice to verify that it is running in the proper mode.

As for blurry, it could be if you aren't using the MS HDTV pack.  Some people report poor performance with off brand HDTV packs.

Also, I don't know how many component inputs your HDTV has.  But I'd try connecting it to all of them to see if there is any difference there.

Lastly, if it's still blurry, you may have a problem with your HDTV.  If it's under warranty, no problem.  If not, you might want to look into manually adjusting some of the settings.

If HDTV from the Cox tuner looks great, but from the XBOX doesn't then it isn't your HDTV.  Also, what input does the Cox tuner connect into?  Component?  DVI?

Dragons Lair should've looked crispy clear in 1080i mode.

:beer:

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »

If by component you mean Y Pr Pb connections, my TV only has one set. I don't think it has a DVI port either. I am assuming that COX will want to connect to that component input, thus leaving my XBOX hanging in the wind. If I could "Piggyback" of of the COX tuner/receiver with an input they may have (problem solved?). I do not have light to indicate 1080i. I am playing GR2 Summit Strike now. When I go to advanced menu on TV menu, video display is 480p, I have a choice though to change it to 960i.......960i?????

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »

Other question. I looked up the manual for the HD AV Pack. Manual says there is 5 cables coming off the pack. I am only using three, blue red and green.
What is Cb and Cr according to the manual?

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 17 2005, 02:07 PM)
Other question. I looked up the manual for the HD AV Pack. Manual says there is 5 cables coming off the pack. I am only using three, blue red and green.
What is Cb and Cr according to the manual?

HDAV pack.  3 cables (red green and blue) are for video.  2 cables (red (don't get them mixed up) and white) are for analog audio.  Of course there is also an optical output for digital surround audio which when you use, you wouldn't then use the 2 analog audio cables.

The extra connectors in the back of your HDTV (the 5 connectors instead of 3) is for a format of analog HD connection that didn't take off.  Consider them legacy connectors you won't use unless you find really old HD equipment.

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

So connected correctly......960i?
Pages: [1] 2