xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help With Hdtv Hook Up.  (Read 197 times)

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

You'll probably be happier wtih 480p then 960i.  960i is just a silly way of upconverting 480p.

Anyway, if that game supports 1080i, then something is wrong as your TV is in 480p mode.

You are correct that the Cox tuner is going to use your single component HD input.  If you have DVI or FireWire you could possibly use that, however, I believe those ports were part of the Mitsubishi HDTV Tuner, which as you said you don't have.

I don't know if the Cox tuner will let you piggy back the XBOX off of it.  It seems possible but I don't think I'ev seen a box that lets you do that.  You could consider getting a manual component switch box to switch between the two.  But you'll need to be happier with your XBOX HDTV apperance before that is worth it to you.

If you do get your XBOX to output 1080i successfully, your TV won't let you change the mode at that point.   1080i is 1080i and that's it, so there is no, switching from 480p to 1080i and back if your XBOX is outputting 1080i.  :beer:

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »

Fired up Enter the Matrix. Just looks .......slightly blurry....but hey....display says HD 16:9....never seen that before. BUT, TV menu still only shows choice of 460p or 960i.....?

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »

OK, Cox will be here soon. Tried one more thing. TV has one more set of component hookups in the back....kind of. Could not fire up Enter the Matrix on that hookup though, only dashboard. That component hookup is not Pr Pb, it is Cr and Cb. I am guessing that is component and not progressive. So that is why is is labeled DVD hookup and not DTV hookup. Also, on that hookup, 480p looked blurry. I am hoping that I got a bum $20 hidef av pack. Probably was bad the day I brought it home and hooked it up. I remember that day trying to turn on 480p and 1080i and it being blurry so never tried again. That's when I went to the manual and thought the reason for poor video was lack of receiver. So, if cable looks great at 1080i, must be bad hidef av pack....right? If that is the case I will probably wait for XBOX 360 that comes with the HiDef AV pack. I will reply after Cox has left.

Thanks to all for help and patience (Mr. Ed.)

LVMike

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »

One more thing. I only have 2 optical audio jacks on my receiver. One of those will now be taken by Cox and the other will be used by XBOX and XBOX 360 (future). So how do I hook up my DVD to Dolby Digital. There is one more jack, the COAXIAL digital audio jack. I have never used this and as far as I can tell, it should be the equivalent of the Optical jack. Since I have never used COAXIAL audio jack, I do not have the COAXIAL audio cable. I am guessing it is NOT any RCA cable solution.

LVMike

This post has been edited by LVMike: Oct 18 2005, 05:20 PM

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »

OK. Cox has left and HD looks great. guessing bad HiDef AV pack. Anyone for audio solution?

LVMike

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 18 2005, 09:52 AM)
Since I have never used COAXIAL audio jack, I do not have the COAXIAL audio cable. I am guessing it is NOT any RCA cable solution.

Actually any single RCA cable will work for the digital audio coax.  You of course would need such an output on your DVD player or whatever you want to hook up there.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 18 2005, 08:54 AM)
So, if cable looks great at 1080i, must be bad hidef av pack....right?

Yes

That component hookup is not Pr Pb, it is Cr and Cb. I am guessing that is component and not progressive. So that is why is is labeled DVD hookup and not DTV hookup.

Yeah, Your HDTV probably has two or three component (3 RCA and maybe one with 5 RCA connections.)  Only one probably supports HDTV. (the one marked DTV probably) and that's probably the one that Cox used.  If I remember Mitsubishi correctly, that same input would have two other RCA connectors labelled HV that are not used.

Anyway, the other component connectors will probably support 480i and 480p.  Good for DVD players (even progressive scan ones) but not HD resolution inputs.

Most (all?) of the inputs should be Y Pr PB.  It's possible some are Y Cr Cb I guess.  You won't see that much.

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »

Tried RCA cable for COAXIAL DIGITAL OUTPUT with no success. Manual for DVD player says it needs SPECIAL cable. Thoughts?

LVMike

LVMike

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »

Looked up coaxial digital output cable and saw pricing was $42 for 6 feet. Looks like RCA cable is not an option.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
Help With Hdtv Hook Up.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(LVMike @ Oct 19 2005, 08:49 PM)
Looked up coaxial digital output cable and saw pricing was $42 for 6 feet. Looks like RCA cable is not an option.

Trust me, it's just an RCA cable.  I'm using a $5 RCA video cable for mine.
Pages: 1 [2]