xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X2vga Vs X2vga+ Vs Vdigi Vd-z3  (Read 238 times)

--DANNY--

• Archived User
X2vga Vs X2vga+ Vs Vdigi Vd-z3
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

I know, I know, I know. There are a million and a half X2vga threads in this forum... you can't go a page without finding one. And yes, everyone sais they are great and perfect, no problems whatsoever except for some slight compatibility issues with LCD monitors.

But I've never seen and can't find a thread discussing all 3 most popular vga encoders, and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm purchasing one of them hopefully tonight depending on the replies to this thread.

So...

X2VGA:
Pros: Supports all modes of HD. No HD A/V Pack required. Outputs VGA & composite video & Stereo Audio & Digital Audio (optical).
Cons: Some compatibility issues with select LCD monitors. Issues with some non-HD games. Short Cable. No switching between PC and Xbox.

X2VGA+:
Pros: Supports all modes of HD. No HD A/V Pack required,. Outputs VGA & Stereo Audio & Digital Audio (optical). Inputs VGA & Stereo Audio for easy switching between PC and Xbox.
Cons: Some compatibility issues with select LCD monitors. Issues with some non-HD games. Short Cable. No composite video output like the X2VGA (so it won't work with most capture cards).

Vdigi VD-Z3:
Pros: Supports all mods of HD. Inputs Componant video & VGA. Outputs VGA. Easy Switching between componant source and PC. Use your own Xbox A/V cable (good news for us Monster Cable owners). Inputs Componant video from ANY source (meaning any HD Game Console, DVD Player, anything)
Cons: HD A/V Pack required for Xbox.

Please feel free to add on to this list, comment, correct anything wrong, or give some advice for choosing between the 3.

So far, I am planning on buying the Vdigi VD-Z3 encoder...

Thanks,
-Danny

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »

Vdigi VD-Z3:
Con: Requires seperate power source.
Pro: For the same price as the X2VGA, you also get a component/optical cable included, so its a far more flexible package, especially for buyers who currently don't have an HD Pack.

X2VGA:
Con: Its usefulness starts and ends with the Xbox console. When the console is collecting dust, so too is the X2VGA/+
Con: Mini-jack for stereo audio. Not great if you have invested in good cables.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »

What about as far as video quality goes? Which is better? From what I know, the VD-Z3 is far superior to the X2VGA models.

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »

I haven't even heard it described as superior, let alone "far superior".
I am happy with my choice of the VD-Z3.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

Alright, well either way... the VD-Z3 it is!

Unless anyone has any thoughts or comments on the X2VGA, and why it's better than the VD-Z3...

Cio

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »

Some compatibility issues with select LCD monitors. Issues with some non-HD games

1 would be the problem with the VD-Z3 also, its all about output and that wont change (still just 480p/720p/1020i output thru a vga connector..)

2 try running dr oldschool's nkpatcher patch, the only 2 games i can think of (and i got a lot...) that still require work are worms 3d (pal) and GTA san andreas (pal)

Short Cable. No composite video output like the X2VGA (so it won't work with most capture cards).

1. Wont your monitor have a decent cable anyway?
2. Yes it does... gotta take it out of the xbox to flip a dip switch, and it uses the audio input mini jack, but it does have one!

If i had a beamer, surround set with optical in and a standalote DVD player.. i would buy the VD-Z3. I dont. So i got the x2vga+

HD A/V Pack required for Xbox.

Oh, im a cheapass (dutch) so this sounds like a really big deal to me.

All in all, price and ease of use are my main motives. this is plug and play, small, needed only 20 bucks worth of cables to get it perfect (you could do with less i suppose..) and above all, it gets the job done.

This post has been edited by Cio: Aug 26 2005, 10:06 AM

--DANNY--

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 03:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cio @ Aug 26 2005, 03:14 AM)
1 would be the problem with the VD-Z3 also, its all about output and that wont change (still just 480p/720p/1020i output thru a vga connector..)
I didn't think about that. Oh, and it's 1080i, not 1020i, but same difference...

2 try running dr oldschool's nkpatcher patch, the only 2 games i can think of (and i got a lot...) that still require work are worms 3d (pal) and GTA san andreas (pal)
Wait... isn't the nkpatcher for the bios? Why would the bios need to be patched for a transcoder? And would that only be necessary for those few games? And if it's only those couple games, then I don't have to worry about it anyways, cuz I have them, but don't ever plan to play either of them ever again, lol (long story)

1. Wont your monitor have a decent cable anyway?
Yep, but what if your xbox is 10 feet away from your monitor? And you already have long componant video cables?

2. Yes it does... gotta take it out of the xbox to flip a dip switch, and it uses the audio input mini jack, but it does have one!
Wait... so with the flip of a DIP switch, you can use compositve video out, but it comes through the audio mini jack? That's kinda neat! Didn't know that one.

If i had a beamer, surround set with optical in and a standalote DVD player.. i would buy the VD-Z3. I dont. So i got the x2vga+
Oh, im a cheapass (dutch) so this sounds like a really big deal to me.
Well... I just so happen to have a BMW 325is, a $10k+ sound setup with a Denon Reciever with 4 optical IN's and a Denon standalone DVD player... but I wouldn't waste the quality of my dvd player on my monitor when I have a 66" Mitsubishi Widescreen TV... And I would like to continue to use my Monster Cable HD A/V Pack for the xbox.

All in all, price and ease of use are my main motives. this is plug and play, small, needed only 20 bucks worth of cables to get it perfect (you could do with less i suppose..) and above all, it gets the job done.
True, but the same goes for the VD-Z3 if you have all the right cables already, or so I've heard.

Thanks for the input,
-Danny

CharredChar

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »

Im actually looking into buying one of these since its more of a hassle to make your own and deal with a Bios. But this seems to be getting side tracked from the info I want.

Whats the differences between X2VGA and Vdigi VD-Z3 other then connections? Does one support games better then the other? Does one need you to do more to get it to work right?

I have a modded XBox, but the less work I have to do to get it to work with VGA the better. But what about people without modded XBoxes? These work the same?

doublebass2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(CharredChar @ Sep 2 2005, 04:28 PM)
Im actually looking into buying one of these since its more of a hassle to make your own and deal with a Bios. But this seems to be getting side tracked from the info I want.

Whats the differences between X2VGA and Vdigi VD-Z3 other then connections? Does one support games better then the other? Does one need you to do more to get it to work right?

I have a modded XBox, but the less work I have to do to get it to work with VGA the better. But what about people without modded XBoxes? These work the same?

i dont think that there will be much difference between the picture quality in both products,since they both output the same signal,i happend to enjoy my xbox graphic capabilities with the vdz3 4 the last 1 and a half month,but my only concern for this choise was the fact that the vd-z3 can be used with other hd devices,such as dvd,xboxgamecube,ps2,and probably xbox 360(oh yes!)or ps3,and in general is more compatible than the x2vga which is specifically(and restraining!)for xbox 1 use....so ,why bother buying that?either u buy one or the other,a warning though...although the picture is much crisper and the colors more vivid than the usual and cheap tv set,u ll just have to get used to seeing more aliasing than b4...especially if u r standing very close to the pc monitor,that happens since the ordinary tv has a kind of blur effect and washed colors and the edges r less noticeable....if u r not that graphics guy,u ll enjoy it,i have a 19" monitor and i am standing about 2.5 meters,and the edges r much less noticeable,,but the clarity of the picture is all the money...i watched my games on a 14"tv via scart rgb at the same distance,but now all my gaming hours r spent in front of my monitor,and i dont want to go back to my tv,(i can also play split screen ,with out poping my eyes out like i did with my small tv set,and also is a perfct choice 4 lan,u know,1 monitor(every one has a pc nowadays!)and a tv connected xbox,without having the trouble of bringing your own (even small)tv...oh,if u have an lcd monitor,b careful,thry dont respond refresh that well as those crt s,unless u have a very good  and expensive one!do buy one..and happy gaming everyone!!

CharredChar

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »

I have a debug bios on my xbox, so Ive taken screenshots... so I know how aliased it will be and I dont mind. I have a 19 inch too so I can sit back. From what I see.. yeah I like how its around $15 cheaper and allows ANY HD device, that alone makes it better, though I dont want to say ones better then the other.

In todays age of electronics moving as fast as it is (MS alone wants to release a new console every 4 years) being able to use more then just the xbox gives it a huge advantage. Though HDTVs are getting even cheaper, everyone (here atleast) will be able to buy one within the next couple years. But considering such a product is around $60 for HD on something youve probably already dumped a couple hundred into for just that thing on a computer.. it seems worth it. Im hoping more people notice a topic like this and choose to not buy one game in order to have All their games look better. I know I wont be disapointed.

And I do have to think you for making such a topic, I was going to buy the X2 within a month or two. Now that I know there is "the other option" I looked again and chose something different.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 03:42:00 AM »

If you have a xbox with the conexant chip, i would go with the x2vga, because the picture quality is as good as the vd-z3.  The x2vga+ had some color compatibility issues in the past, but is damn near as good as the original x2vga, plus it is compatible with all versions of the xbox.

The thing i hate most about the vd-z3 is all the crap you have to carry around with you and hook up, compared to the x2vga (particularly for lan parties, when you already have a lot of stuff to carry).  With the vd-z3, you have the transcoder, then you have the component cables, then you have the external power box.  With the x2vga, all you have is the transcoder.  The x2vga is much more convenient.

EDIT: now, if someone would only add dr. oldschools nkpatcher to modchip bios.  That would be a glorious day. love.gif

CharredChar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 06:11:00 AM »

Compairing the two with XBox.. what issues do they have? Do both X2VGA+ and VD-Z3 work with all xboxes? I asume VD-Z3 should seeing its just component inputs.

CharredChar

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 04:12:00 AM »

So I was doing a quick search. Wow there are a lot more then I though. haha duh me.

http://www.lik-sang....a65329b74971e22

So why do I only hear of X2VGA and VD-Z3? Are those two typically refered to as the best or just most popular?

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 04:27:00 AM »

^ Well the first two in that range can be written off completely, as they are not transcoders, however the third one down http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...a65329b74971e22 is comparable with the VD-Z3. I went to a lan the other week where four of those transcoders where being used. They were more or less the same as my VD-Z3, but the Z3 comes with a component cable included, so if you don't already own a component cable, then I'd pick the Z3.

CharredChar

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 04:31:00 AM »

Yeah I was looking at the one in that link since its the same price... but what are the dip switches for? Im moving into a new apartment Oct 1st so Im buying one then. I was plaining on the Z3.. where should I buy it?
Pages: [1] 2