xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues  (Read 82 times)

xboxnerd

• Archived User
Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues
« on: March 04, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

After playing around all night with the VD-Z3 and PC monitor, I didn't see any siginificant improvement in terms of HD quality.   I was able to set to 480p in my MS dashboard, and used the triggers + controls to view the dash afterwards.  Then i switched to the mod chip.   So, when i play something like ESPN NHL 2K5 - which is HDTV capable - you can see more of the ice surface and the players appear smaller (as expected when you increase resolution), BUT I dont see any increase in detail as was claimed.  The graphics look low-res; for example the players look kind of bitmappy - kind of like when i'm playing a PC game in 640x480. Normally PC graphics look good when you go up to 1024x768.   Is 480p equivalent to 640x480??  If so, it doesn't look too great on a monitor, especially since i've played a lot of PC games before with better graphics.

Am i doing something wrong??  I must be..   I also played Halo 2 with the VD-Z3, and it didnt look like much improvement.   I am using a 15" LCD monitor with 1.6 XBox.

I'm kind of new to this HDTV stuff, so please pardon my ignorance in any matters in this post :-)

Thanks

accukevin

• Archived User
Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »

480p is still 640x480.  It is just progressive, displaying all lines instead on every other line.

xboxnerd

• Archived User
Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »

Someone told me the picture quality should be really good, comparable to that of a PC game in 1024x768.

QUOTE(accukevin @ Mar 4 2005, 11:30 AM)
480p is still 640x480.  It is just progressive, displaying all lines instead on every other line.

jrtmx

• Archived User
Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »

I have a vdigi and the picture quality is excellent compared to a standard TV. When playing Halo 2 for example you can see the individual square pixels that make up a weapon reticule. On a normal tv it all just looks blurred together. The clarity is noticeably better, I don't know why you wouldn't notice a difference.

Trevante

• Archived User
Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

You're not actually in hi-def until you get to 720p and 1080i. Go play Amped 2 and you should notice a huge difference.

Games in 480p may not look extremely better (although they will look better) than they would in 480i because it's still the same resolution, but it's displayed progressively instead of interlaced.

xboxnerd

• Archived User
Vdigi Vd-z3 Issues
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(jrtmx @ Mar 6 2005, 08:49 PM)
I have a vdigi and the picture quality is excellent compared to a standard TV. When playing Halo 2 for example you can see the individual square pixels that make up a weapon reticule. On a normal tv it all just looks blurred together. The clarity is noticeably better, I don't know why you wouldn't notice a difference.

The image quality of the XBOX games on the PC is a bit better than on the TV, that's for sure.  But I always thought my TV didnt have a great picture anyway to start off with.   I have a PC Gaming background and have entered XBOX gaming only in the last month... most of my games are played at high resolution, so I am not accustomed to playing only 640x480.  For example when playing at 480 I noticed a lot of jagged edges and aliasing, which you normally would not notice much at 1024x768.

Still, i'll take Travante's advice and try out Amped 2 soon :-)