xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Massive Screen  (Read 218 times)

ravenge

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

aight, thanks man

-ravenge

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »

well ChrisF, your right. but tehy way i woudl put it is: pay what you woudl expect to pay for a cable. if it doesnt work/gives you shit image/sound quality, then go pay more and get a better one. i know that the top of the line cables is just a money making exersice.

theres no need to forkout a heap for cables when you dont need to

bikehorn

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

dry.gif

rtheil

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »

You've gotta be kidding me that Monster uses stranded wire for the ethernet cable. That's a bunch of crap. You are absolutely right that solid copper will produce much better performance than stranded, but there is one big thing that stranded has over solid. Travel cables. Cables that can be kinked, bent, stepped on, etc., and still have the same signal quality. You kink a nice regular old bulk in-ceiling cable, and it's half done for.

Optical cables are optical cables. I mean, we're talking light here. When I got my HD cable installed for $15 the goy brought me a 15 foot toslink cable, I have another really nice 1.5m and there is no possible way you can tell the difference.

I used to have a 42" plasma, and now have a 57" projection, and the regular old A/V pack works just fine. However with the new design, here's the downfall. My xbox is at least 8-10 feet of cable away from my giant TV. The new av pack would require an extension, thus defeating the purpose of the all-in-one a/v pack. The older one works better for me because I bought a set of 10ft cables that look EXACTLY like monster cables, except that they were like $120,000 cheaper. Oh, and the slits in the ground connector on each cable isn't cool and curved to look nice... it's just a straight cut. Everything I do on my xbox looks absolutely fucking great on my TV.

Don't buy CRAP cables when it comes to cable, but don't buy monster either. Make sure the connectors are gold plated (which even the cheap ones are now days), and make sure the cable is FAT like coaxial cable for TV. Better grounding + larger gauge wire = higher quality signal.

I hooked my xbox up to the regular video port the other day, and holy shit. I couldn't believe how shitty it looked. text all jagged edged...

unrealskill

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

smile.gif

ravenge

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

lol i'm getting a general dislike towards monster cables here lol, I'm not surprised. I certianly wouldn't spend $30 on a thin 1.5 metre cable!

-ravenge

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Massive Screen
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »

Monster isn't all that bad, years and years ago I was in a band and I used to rely on Monster cables for most of my mic and amp cables. They had much better resistance to interference and came with a lifetime warranty (as did ALL monster cables at the time) they held up extremely well and I still have most of them.

Over the years they have gotten ahead of themselves, especially with the whole home theater boom. Their prices doubled, they dropped the lifetime warranty on half of their product line and they "jazzed" up the looks of most of their home theater lines. In their core they're still the same great cable they always were just a bit more "incorporated". Just like MS, the corporation might be a soulless money hog but there's still some great products that come out of it. In terms of car audio, musician grade equipment, or even some "generic" monster speaker wire is still competitively priced, and normal looking.

I believe they make all their cables under a different name as well at normal prices and without the over-sized plastic dongles and fishnet covered plastic.  unfortunately you can't find it places like best buy, they typically go to installers. I have a friend who used to work for Monster's parent company and got me a few of them for my car I don't know what they're called but their initials are "HF" per the logo on the cables I got.

Monster stuff isn't bad, its just over priced.
It's like paying One Million Dollars for a brand new Corvette. Yeah it looks great and works great, way better than a Taurus and probably more than you need, but it's really only worth fifty thousand.

As for your original question, I agree with most people here, the New MS Advanced AV pack or the old AV pack with a "GOOD" set of cables.

ravenge

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »

lol my had has soo many monster cables. they must've cost craploads... :S

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 04:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 4 2005, 09:31 AM)
Monster stuff isn't bad, its just over priced.

ravenge

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 06:53:00 AM »

i think "over-kill" would suffice also..

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
Massive Screen
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 01:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(ravenge @ Feb 5 2005, 11:59 PM)
i think "over-kill" would suffice also..
Pages: 1 [2]