xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing Ntsc Dvds On A Pal Xbox  (Read 61 times)

total_ass

• Archived User
Playing Ntsc Dvds On A Pal Xbox
« on: July 26, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

When i play an NTSC dvd on my PAL xbox, no matter what method i use (XBMC, MS dash, DVDx2 etc) it ALWAYS stutters ever few seconds. I don't think its a player issue, but something is causing it. Like i said no matter what player i use it always stutters. Now i have no idea what could be causing this, can someone help me?

Could it be?

1.) An eeprom issue? (May i have to change my region to NTSC for it to work properly?)

2.) My video output (I keep my video output to PAL when i play NTSC dvds because my tv isn't expensive enough to be mult-region)

3.) A drive issue (Don't ask me how, but could it struggle with Region 1 DVDs?)

This is something that one of the experts must be able to solve being as it is related to video and regions. I would like it to be solved please because some of my favourite films (or movies for the americans) are imports.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

bump.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »

could be your tompson drive.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

that's what i thought, but i copied a divx file onto the hard drive and it still stuttered. Also my friend has a thompson drive and it doesn't do it on his, and why the hell would a drive struggle to play a different region?

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »

bump. you guys are the audio/video experts, you must know the asnwer.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 03:19:00 AM »

bump

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »

i think youll find that it has to be something to do with the software on your xbox. i think a PAL xbox will only send out PAL signals. but i think you can change that somewhere in the MS Dash.
does it work allright when you use any other reigon dvd?
is the divx you made from that disc? it could be the disc your using. does it work ok in something else like anotehr xbox or pc?

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

first of all, i have only ran pal and ntsc dvds on my pal xbox. pal works no problems, it is ntsc that i am having problems with. i have tried using xbmc, dvdx2 and a hacked ms dash to run other regions, they all stutter when playing ntsc. my friend has no problems running ntsc on his pal xbox, whichever method he uses.

as for the divx, that divx has no problems on my pc or anybody elses pc, therefore it is not a problem with the divx. like i said earlier if you read it, when the divx is on the hard drive of my xbox, it still stutters, meaning it is not a problem with the drive, i think it is because it may have been ripped from an ntsc dvd, which brings me back to the problem above.

is it possible my tv doesn't like the converted ntsc --> pal signal? or any of the reasons in the first post.

farbird

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »

if u are running off the hdd with xbmc, try increasing the respective cache settings ..

Pal refresh rate is 25 fps and a higher resolution.
Ntsc refresh rate is 30 fps at a lower resolution.

I havent had any problems but then again... my tv and xbox are ntsc sets and i do not have any pal discs...

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 03:45:00 AM »

yer ur right farbird, the NTSC and PAL video and completley different. it might be your TV that cant handle the signal. but i would hav thought a PAL box would only send out PAL signals. check in teh MS Dash to see if what settings there are for video. try hooking you xbox up to another TV and see what happens. if it works fine then its your tv

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 05:16:00 AM »

my video output is set to PAL, is it possible that the tv doesn't like the converted signal? if i set it to NTSC it goes black and white because my tv doesnt support NTSC so i keep it at PAL when playing NTSC. I will try another tv.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »

ok i tried another tv......

same problem sad.gif

i think it is a problem with my xbox. could my drive struggle to play from a different region, or is that total crap?

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »

yer that is certinally a wird problem ur having. the tv that u tried, does that work fine when playing that disc on another xbox? if so, then there is something seriously wrong with your xbox

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

ok i tried playing it in ntsc mode, there is no stutter, meaning it must be either the xbox struggling to convert, or the tv not being able to handle it. i will investigate further.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »

hey total_ass, i askd me dad, and he said that it sounds like its a software problem. its either the software, or teh xbox is struggling to convert it from NTSC to PAL. have u tried it on a better tv yet? if it does the same stuttering thing, then its your xbox. if not, then its ur tv. id put money on it being your xbox
Pages: [1] 2