xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can Xmv's Be Replaced Like Bik's?  (Read 80 times)

blitxxx

• Archived User
Can Xmv's Be Replaced Like Bik's?
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »

To create a blank xmv, bik, etc
  1. Open Notepad or alternative app
  2. leave file blank
  3. save the file as name.extension (example: intro.xmv)
smile.gif

I blank out logos, intros, etc when I possible to cut down space and speed up the game menu.

I also look through the directories via FTP and delete foreign languages, and multi-player maps when possible too since those things aren't needed and can take up quite a bit of space.

BTW: I ALWAYS make a backup and try the game with the blank replacements

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »

Was it your intent to resurrect an eight year old thread?  Also, not every game will happily use an empty file as a replacement for the video files.  Some games will actually check to make sure that the file is a valid .bik or .xmv, in which case you would need blank .bik and .xmv files.

a2002adam

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

I've got Manhunt, and I want to reduce its size, and the only files I can see that will allow me to reduce it are the .XMV files in the individual level folders.

At first I thought it would be easy to simply replace the large .XMV's with small/blank .XMV's like you can do with .BIK's, but before I try that I want to know if it's as straight-forward as that and if anyone has done it...

Rahszhul

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

Yes.

You can do this with .xmv's .wmv's .bik's, and most other video formats (that I have seen at least) in just about every game.

I have had problems with a few games where it seems to not only check if the file is the same valid file type, but also check if it's the same exact video.

So, best way to find out, is to try. As always, backup any files so you don't accidentally overwrite them or delete them in general. Not that re-backing up is hard or anything, but it helps to evade that step if possible.

a2002adam

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »

Ok thanks, I'll mess around with it and see if it works - oh, and anywhere to get a blank .xmv file?