xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Progressive Scan (480p) Hex Editing Tutorials  (Read 252 times)

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Progressive Scan (480p) Hex Editing Tutorials
« on: January 08, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »

These hex edits will display the original ms dashboard/dvd remote playback, and dvdx-2 dongle free dvd in progressive scan, 480p:

For the original ms dashboard, open xboxdash.xbe in a hex editor:

Search for: C7 46 28 20 00 00 00
Replace with: C7 46 28 40 00 00 00 (Progressive only)
or
Replace with: C7 46 28 00 00 00 00 (Auto-selection)

For dvdx-2, open its default.xbe:

Search for: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 04
Replace with: 83 C8 02 C1 E0 05 (Progressive only)
or
Search for: E0 10 0B F0 51 8B CF
Replace with: E0 10 0B F0 51 EB 71 (Auto-select)
Also, search for: 5E C2 18 00 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90
Replace with: 5E C2 18 00 80 61 28 9F 8B CF E9 84 FF FF FF (Auto-select)

* You need to search for and replace both hex strings to make dvdx-2 work in auto-select.

Things to take into consideration:

When typing in the hex values to search for, try typing in the values without the spaces if you are having trouble finding the strings. For example: for the ms dashboard, search for C7462820000000.

Auto-select supports both 480i and 480p.  If your TV supports progressive scan, it will display it in 480p.  If it does not, it will display it in 480i.

The ms dashboard, and DVDx-2 hex edits are independent of one another; you can just hex edit the ms dash, or just the DVDx-2, or hex edit both of them.

The dvdx-2 hex values are only for dvdx-2, not dvdx-1. Dvdx-1 is just a patch for the ms dashboard/remote dvd playback that enables region free dvd. Its progressive hex values are the same thing as the ms dashboards.

Make sure you make a backup copy of your original xboxdash.xbe, and progressive hex edit the copy. Then after your done hex editing it call it something like pxboxdash.xbe. Then put both the original xboxdash.xbe, and the progressive hex edited pxboxdash.xbe back in the root of your c: drive. And change the xboxdash.xbe, in your dashboards (evox, avalaunch, unleashx, etc.) to pxboxdash.xbe, so it will recognize it. Having both the original xboxdash.xbe, and the pxboxdash.xbe in your c: drive will allow you to turn off your mod chip; the original bios will only recognize the the original, unmodded xboxdash.xbe. So, you'll be able to play on xbox live when the chip is turned off.

All dashboards (AVA, evox, unleashx, etc.) and apps (xbmc, emulators, etc.) show up in at least 480p, while many support 720p and 1080i without having to hex edit it for progressive scan.

Also, credit goes to ProgScan for most of these hex edits.  He is a member here at xbox-scene and on xboxhacker.net. Credit for the dvdx-2 auto-select goes to viperman3, a member here at xbox-scene.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Nov 9 2005, 02:01 PM

bigrig

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »

Thanks Foe-hammer!

I used the xvi32 freeware hex editor, found here, and it worked like a charm.  Had to do a search with spaces between the characters.

I changed the name of the .xbe, put it on my f: drive, and linked it from the evox menu.  Progressive scan DVD!  

:beer:  

sega27

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

How do I edit/force games to run in 480p? I have the progressive patcher, but it wont work on I-Ninja.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »

Not all games, that do not support 480p, can be patche to support 480p.  Kung-fu chaos, for example is one.

Good catch, sega27, i was thinking of kung-fu chaos, not I-ninja.  My bad.

This post has been edited by Foe-hammer: Feb 2 2004, 10:02 PM

sega27

• Archived User

JackOfSpeed

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Jan 9 2004, 03:27 AM)
These two hex editing strings are independent of one another; you can just hex edit for ms dash for progressive, or just the dvdx-2 for progressive, or have both of them hex edited for progressive.

Care to clarify this a bit?

And what is 'dvdx-2 dongle free'?

I'm getting my modded xbox back next week and this is going to be one of the first things I do.  Can believe MS disabled progressive scan for DVDs.  Like Duh!  :blink:

Thanks

This post has been edited by JackOfSpeed: Jan 29 2004, 07:58 PM

bigrig

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (JackOfSpeed @ Jan 29 2004, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Jan 9 2004, 03:27 AM)
These two hex editing strings are independent of one another; you can just hex edit for ms dash for progressive, or just the dvdx-2 for progressive, or have both of them hex edited for progressive.

Care to clarify this a bit?

And what is 'dvdx-2 dongle free'?

I'm getting my modded xbox back next week and this is going to be one of the first things I do.  Can believe MS disabled progressive scan for DVDs.  Like Duh!  blink.gif

Thanks

dvdx-2 is a dvd player that doesn't require you to have the MS DVD remote kit (aka dongle free).  So you use your controller with it.

So you can edit the MS DVD player (xboxdash.xbe) to be progressive scan, or you can edit the dvdx-2 DVD player (default.xbe) to be progressive scan.  Or you can do both.

sega27

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (JackOfSpeed @ Jan 29 2004, 09:15 PM)
Can believe MS disabled progressive scan for DVDs.  Like Duh!  blink.gif

They did this because they did not want to pay royalty fees to a company that patented progressive scan DVD. What they should have done is offer a more expencive remote and dongle that enables progressive and HD in DVD playback.

JackOfSpeed

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »

Hey thank bigrig & sega27

Ok, it's starting to make more sense now.  So the only way to control the DVD playback (without the dongle) is the controller?

sega27

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (JackOfSpeed @ Jan 30 2004, 03:58 PM)
Hey thank bigrig & sega27

Ok, it's starting to make more sense now.  So the only way to control the DVD playback (without the dongle) is the controller?

Yes, if your using DVDX-2.

SheepshanK

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

Ms dash fucked in the ass by this, i did this and my msxbox dash won't load... ive got it backed up and even after replacingt the origional msdash (un hex edited) it still just resets the console when trying to load msdahs from Evox, i dont want to have to replace the contents of my harddrive with the stuff from a backup from ages ago... Any ideas what part of the msdash this might have fucked?
P.S i have a pal xbox running ntsc for hdtv etc
PLEASE help no mp3 ripping and no save managment sound shit to me....
blink.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (SheepshanK @ Feb 3 2004, 09:09 PM)
Ms dash fucked in the ass by this, i did this and my msxbox dash won't load... ive got it backed up and even after replacingt the origional msdash (un hex edited) it still just resets the console when trying to load msdahs from Evox, i dont want to have to replace the contents of my harddrive with the stuff from a backup from ages ago... Any ideas what part of the msdash this might have fucked?
P.S i have a pal xbox running ntsc for hdtv etc
PLEASE help no mp3 ripping and no save managment sound shit to me....
blink.gif

Well, you only hex edit the xboxdash.xbe file.  It should just be this file.  Maybe there is something different about a Pal xbox once the settings have been changed.  Not sure what it could be but you could just restore the original C: backup you have.  It won't affect anything else or your saves - just delete everything besides your evox files or whatever other dash you use if you have them on C:.  

AHH: you know what?  Did you make 2 dashes?  Once the original is edited it can only be run under the modchip.  The regular bios won't load it since it is no longer considered signed code.  I have xboxdash.xbe and pxboxdash.xbe files.  I link pxboxdash from Evox.  Maybe this works into your problem somehow.

SheepshanK

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »

I backed up my xbox's "C:" drive when i first installed evox dash, just incase (if it get knackered no-one is gonna give u it eh) and i edited the dash called "msdash.xbe" (called that for evovx) so i still have my backed up c drive, it wont affect my saves eh? ill just put that back on then. Does this hex edit actually work with PAL xbox's? (its set in ntsc for use with my VD-Z3). It didnt work just replacing the origional msdash back so im guessing it changes a config file aswell..
Feedback geatly appr
Thanks for your info chris  laugh.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (SheepshanK @ Feb 3 2004, 09:24 PM)
Does this hex edit actually work with PAL xbox's? (its set in ntsc for use with my VD-Z3).

I don't know the answer to this question.  Hopefully someone here does - I would think it would work or could be made to work leaving everything else stock but that's just a hunch.

As far as your saves, you'll be fine.  Just swap out the stock C: and start over.  A lot of people get too excited and never back it up.  Be glad you were smart and thorough the first time - blind faith in technology is a predictable ass-biter.

SheepshanK

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »

blind faith in technology is a predictable ass-biter

*Amen to that! theres always soemthing eh?
Im copying it over but for some queer reason its transfering it at 20/25 k per second!

LoL it took no time at all to copy the contents to my computer... ah well

Thanks for your help Chris!

biggrin.gif
Ill report back as of when its fix-ed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6