xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Department Store Politics.. Plasmas & Lcd  (Read 37 times)

mattb

• Archived User
Department Store Politics.. Plasmas & Lcd
« on: November 11, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »

dry.gif Then I investigated the back of the TV's which in most instances tells all the truth of what sources they are receiving their content from. Behold the power of department store politics, the larger plasma screens had DVI-interface plugs connected to their source, while the cheaper smaller projections had only coaxle cables connected to the back. I was stunned at how crappy the picture looked on $2000 tv's, but only the $8000 tv's looked attractive to my eye. Later, I experienced the same situations at other stores. The real question being asked here is, do all fully loaded rear crt projection tv's share the same picture quality as the more expensive DLP, Plasma, and LCD screens, this is of course taking into account they are all connect to the same HD sources. I plan on purchasing a rear proj. crt monitor, so I need to know if it is the wisest investment it terms of picture quality.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »

Well I didn't fully understand your statement...

Are you saying the cheap TVs you looked at still had DVI connectors, and they weren't using them, or are you saying the cheap TVs lacked DVI connectors?

I'll tell you this.  At my nearby Ultimate Electronics all the TVs are connected through the components, and just the difference in the 3 65" Mitsubishis sitting next to each other (Gold, Platinum, and Diamond series) is huge, so yes, price makes a big difference in image quality.

I would still reach behind those TVs, though, and plug that DVI feed into a cheaper TV and see how much the picture improves.

xboxmodder4life

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »

for between 1300-1600$ i was able to get a toshiba 51 inch widescreen HDTV. (51h83) I paid 1538$ from bestbuy after 10% off

It's a nice tv yet to get my new xbox hooked up to it but it should be nice. Digital cable looks ok on it, standard cable is kinda crappy, Dvd's are nice.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (xboxmodder4life @ Nov 12 2003, 11:05 AM)
Digital cable looks ok on it, standard cable is kinda crappy

That's interesting, in general digital cable is lower resolution than standard analog cable.

Oh great, now the arguments are going to start  tongue.gif

PsychoZX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 05:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Nov 12 2003, 04:38 PM)
That's interesting, in general digital cable is lower resolution than standard analog cable.

Oh great, now the arguments are going to start  tongue.gif

Digital may overall have a lower resolution than analog but most people have crappy cable feeds so the analog looks alot worse. Also digital chanels can vary in resolution and compression from channel to channel, just compare one of the lesser known digital channels to something like HBO. The movie channel clearly has a better resolution and alot less compression so it will look better than even the best analog signals. Plus digital channels take less bandwidth than analog meaning more channels.