xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: S-video Vs Composite  (Read 74 times)

AdoptedDeV

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« on: November 01, 2003, 02:51:00 PM »

Theres a good difference.  If your set supports 480p or 720p you'll notice text appears ALOT cleaner and that lines/images are alot sharper.  Even if your set doesn't support those modes you'll notice with Component the colors are alot richer.

Oh, you asked about composite vs S not component ... my bad.  Umm you'll notice with S-vid colors don't bleed and your image will sharpen up nicely you'll also see a little more shading/gradient in objects.   Which is cool too =)

DaMiEn'X

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 04:22:00 PM »

Haha you had me going there  
Was already thinking about the reply to tell you off and stuff  mad.gif
it involved something about not being able to read...  biggrin.gif

Anyway thanks for the reply dude  

beerchug.gif

bleugh

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 11:59:00 PM »

svideo is a lot sharper than composite,
RGB is by far the best though

akillamuthafucca

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 01:06:00 AM »

I just got a the s-video av pack the dolby digital rocks and the s-video looks good to but i don't have component inputs. I think its good for now

Big HDD

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 05:11:00 PM »

ok, i got the originals and monster s-video 300x cables, and i am thinking of selling the monster s-videos and buying component cables, but not sure to do it/not sure which ones to buy either. I have a 36inch sony wega flat trinitron w/component ins(just 1, my dvd player is taking it right now), and i am pretty sure that it wont go higher than 480P, but it has 16:9 automatic ratio built in so maybe it'll do 720P, not sure. Since i have a lot in my dvd stuff and it dont have component ins on it and i would have 2 components going to my one RGB in on my tv, i would also have to buy a component switch(as i am not sacruificing my dvd player RGBs and wont switch them every time, as the tv weighs 250lb(6inch thick screen glass i think!!!!) and is in a spot designed around the tv). which component switch should i buy....i am also on a budget, so keep it all cheap(i dont wanna pay more for the cables then the 180 retail xbox!!!!!)

katz

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 02:15:00 AM »

s-video tears composite to shreds. anyone experienced COMPONENT on their xbox ?

Big HDD

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 11:29:00 AM »

my reciever is built into my onkyo home theater dvd player, so it dont have a component switch on it, not even a component in on it.....so i am thinking of buying the mad catz HDTV switcher for 30 bux somewhere, but cant find it in a store(otherwise i'd have it!).....it got like an 8 or 9 in OXM review, and i am on a tight budget and dont wanna pay more than.......50 bux on the receiver and hdtv pack, which is:
HDTV AV pack-$20
Madcatz switch-$30
Total-------------$50.....perfect!
would this work and be good enough not to notice a differeence in my dvd player?!?"!

bleugh

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 03:53:00 AM »

R G bloody B

thats the definitive method, and most tellys accept it too

Mr Ed

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 08:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (katz @ Nov 3 2003, 04:15 AM)

Yes component (HDTV) is truely awesome.  You do still see jaggies in some games (most games are only 480p anyway) but also, like amped, you still see lot's of jaggies.  Not all games take advantage of the XBOX full resolution.

Now about S-Video...funny thing.  My whole system is S-Video (has been for years).  When I get an HDTV obviously I will upgrade to component.  Now, my system consists of two S-VHS Mitsubishi VCRs, a Mitsubishi 32" TV (the last year they made a tube TV), a LaserDisc player, and a progressive scan DVD player (but since my TV isn't progressive scan, it's only connected via S-Video) and of course my XBOX.  I left out all the audio components.

Anyway, I was moving some wired around, and as an experiement tried switching from S-Video to composite just on one component (the DVD player).   I switched back and forth several times, and used a DVD that had a starfield on the screen (so high contrast white dots on a black background).  I know the S-Video should have looked better, but it didn't.  You could see differences, but not much.  I'm still using S-Video for everything, but if you use decent cables, don't expect much difference between S-Video and composite.  The jump to component, however, is huge.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (katz @ Nov 3 2003, 04:15 AM)

Yes component (HDTV) is truely awesome.  You do still see jaggies in some games (most games are only 480p anyway) but also, like amped, you still see lot's of jaggies.  Not all games take advantage of the XBOX full resolution.

Now about S-Video...funny thing.  My whole system is S-Video (has been for years).  When I get an HDTV obviously I will upgrade to component.  Now, my system consists of two S-VHS Mitsubishi VCRs, a Mitsubishi 32" TV (the last year they made a tube TV), a LaserDisc player, and a progressive scan DVD player (but since my TV isn't progressive scan, it's only connected via S-Video) and of course my XBOX.  (I'm only listing the video components.)

Anyway, I was moving some wires around, and as an experiement tried switching from S-Video to composite just on one component (the DVD player).   I switched back and forth several times, and used a DVD that had a starfield on the screen (so high contrast white dots on a black background).  I know the S-Video should have looked better, but it didn't.  You could see differences, but not much.  I'm still using S-Video for everything, but if you use decent cables, don't expect much difference between S-Video and composite.  I was using monster S-Video cables and some pretty good composite cables (but not monster).  I was really disappointed I didn't see more of a difference.

x4me

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »

Im looking to get the HDTV AV pack pretty soon, but am I correct in thinking that you have to buy the MS pack ($19) and then get a set of component cables as well?  The Monster Cable branded xbox pack appears to come with cables and the part that interfaces with the xbox.  Anyone tried those <cough-cough  huh.gif > cheap HDTV xbox packs on ebay?  They look like the Monster Cable kit, albeit less "flashy".

develitate

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 08:54:00 PM »

No, the M$ HDAV pack comes with the component cables, but they dont come with an optical cable, but neither does the Monster Cable set. You cant beat the M$ cables for the money.

Big HDD

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 05:43:00 AM »

in xbox magaxine, they had a review on the madcatz component stwitcher, and the price is ONLY $30!!!!!
I also recieve their e-mail newsletters or w/e, and they also showed it at $30, the only problem is that i cant find it in the stores, or anywhere else.....

I have some questions about diff. HDTV PACKS, their is a madcatz ultra av kit kit, which has composite, s-video, and component all on the external pack(simiklar to the M$ PACKS, but circular in shape), and it comes with all the cables....composite, s-vid, component, and fiber-optic digital audio cable.                                                   $30
The other pack is by intec and is shaped al,most identically to the M$ PACKS, and it has and comes with composit, s-video, and component cables, but no fiber optic.     $20
Or the HDTV AV PACK from M$.                       $20
Which one should i get?????
Any differences in them???

biceps09

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »

do the s-video av packs come with optical and s-video cables?

ramsdb

• Archived User
S-video Vs Composite
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

uhh.gif