xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Please Help With Media Qualities!  (Read 51 times)

mattb

• Archived User
Please Help With Media Qualities!
« on: October 31, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »

Lately I have been caught up in this big fuss about transmitting methods and cables, and I would like know something about them. Obviously there are component and composite transmitting cables, but there are also things like DVI. Can anybody clear up some issues over DVI in comparison to component. I recently search the web for this kind of stuff and I got a bunch of British site talking about SCART cables, which dont exist in the U.S. So if you brits know anything about American electronics, you are more than welcome! Thanks for your time.

jC!

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:32:00 PM »

tongue.gif

SCART is avalible in the US, those 'XBOX Ready' RCA TVs have SCART, as do many Rear Projection/Front Projection, Plasma, basicly 'Hi-Fi' monitors. (even some top of the line CRT's have 'em)

The semi-standard for the common consumer would be S-Video.

And...
DVI is an up and comming standard on PCs (Mainly used for LCD panals and secondary monitors) and on some higher-end TVs.

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »

Component video is a 3 wire system using math to reduce the bandwidth of the signal for ease of transmission and storage. Component video is generated by seperating Luminance and 2 Chrominance signals from RGB. The 2 chrominance (R and B)components are compressed to reduce overall bandwidth. Often refered to as YUV or more correctly Y,YPr,YPb, domestic component signals are analogue. When written as Y,YCr,YCb this donates digital component video. Component video is the format DVDs are written in and provides authors with a way of storing high quality video in a fairly limited space.

DVI is digital high bandwidth RGB with additional sync and resolution information plus pier to pier handshaking. DVI comes in all digital and digital plus analogue support formats and is currently the best connection available to the guy on the street although it is most likely to be replaced by a superior connection format called HDMI. HDMI will support the highest bandwidth and multi channel digital audio.

Component video is a lesser connection format to DVI, but widely used and recognised as the best in consumer connections at present.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

Except for HDMI, DVI, and FireWire, all these connections are analog meaning that as the cables get longer or worn out, the image suffers.

HDMI, DVI, and FireWire, because they are digital give you the exact picture with no loss.

FireWire is lower bandwidth so it transmits the compressed video stream (i.e. the MPEG2 stream from the DVD or tape or antenna).  DVI and HDMI are full bandwidth meaning they transmit the full uncompressed image (i.e. every pixel)  from the DVD, tape, or antenna.  You shouldn't see a difference between these three types as they are pure digital.  

Component, composite, VGA, etc. are all analog, and always introduce loss into the picture.  The more EM fields you have in the area, the longer the cables you use, the cheaper the cables you use, the worse it gets.