xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: All Output Types Configurable  (Read 798 times)

spillage

• Archived User
All Output Types Configurable
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2004, 04:07:00 AM »

Cool OK. I will be on again tonight at around 10.30pm UK time GMT 0h.

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

My Xbox has been together, kind of, but ran at 62 degrees. Shut down is at 65!!! I put the lid on and took it into my workshop. I placed it on the bench in front of some burning leaves. The fan was taking in the smoke but not a lot was coming out of the sides. There is too much stuff in the way internally blocking the air flow route through the box. The problem I have is that there are no alternative positions for the 'extras'. Whereas a V1.0 box has a smaller heatsink on the GPU, mine is huge and restricts the available space considerably.  I have concluded that my Xbox will be housed in a custom metal case, yet to be sourced. It will be the same width as Hi-Fi so there will be tons of space inside. I will be installing a 5-8 port switcher internally as well.

The decision has been made based on three factors.

1 It gets way to hot and will fail soon after completeion.
2 I had to remove the sockets from the X2VGA to position it under the DVD drive. Those woth Thompson or Philips drives may not be able to do this because of the bulge underneath. The Samsung I have is flat.
3 A Hi-Fi width case will look cool, provide more space and mean more people can have a go without messing up a stock case. The case I choose will be readily available and need no special tools to configure. NO part of the XBOX PCB or interanl components will need to be modified. The AVIP could remain on the mobo but have a retail lead plugged in to take the signals out to the respective sockets. If someone wants to return there box to normal they can.

More as it happens.

For those who feel that a recase is cheating, be aware of the thermal issues all the extra stuff brings. If you want to stuff your box with high CFM fans, knock yourself out. I am disappointed but want reliability as well as the features.

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »

I was looking at the case SmartXX will (be looking to) sell, plus watercooling the CPU, GPU and MCPx with Swiftech waterblocks for the CPU and GPU and a Koolance waterblock and their Exos kit to complete the setup. The case looks like a Hi-Fi component and comes in either aluminum or powder-coated black.

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

laugh.gif

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »

Here's the black powder-coated case and here's the aluminum one. I think there's a case with an LCD "window", or there will be, for that style of case.

There's a tut out for watercooling the Xbox, but I want a cleaner looking setup, and I might tut that for shits-and-giggles.

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2004, 02:22:00 AM »

Thanks EvilWays, that case rocks. Will get more info on it cause the cutouts are neither plentiful nor in the places I would want them. I will want to replace the back panel completely.

Nice one thanks.

Was playing PGR2 this morning, with my box is laid out on newspaper. laugh.gif

simonduz

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »

Damn spillage.  I wish I could do this.  I really have a need for this.
I know this sounds crazy, but I gotta ask.
Any chance you can box something like this up and sell it as a mod?  <

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »

You could dude, you just gotta think and plan it out first.

It would be totally doable to make all the outputs project in an external case. You would however need one of those third party, non M$ cables that has most if not all connections wired. I think Joytech does one that has 'S' Video, RGB analogue audio, digital audio etc already wired. Because RGB uses the same pins in the AVIP as Component, you could have that too. No modification to the box would be necassary.

The lead would need to be cut open, carefully so it could be resealed, to allow access to the three Mode Select pins and an earth. The dip switches shown inmy poor 'artists' impression would select the output type you want. Because of the all the space in the empty case you could also install a 5 or 8 port hub if you wanted or a wireless access point. It would also open up another arean for you LED/neon/cold cathode lovers.

The photo below is NOT of my XBOX but a loaner I have from a friend cause mine is in bits. sad.gif

user posted image

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »

quick question to anyone out there, if i had 3 RCA plugs i could mount on the back of my box, what pins would i solder to on the bottom of the motherboard, and what pins do i short out, i want basic Video and Audio L/R, TIA  <

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »

Pin 2 is Right audio out
Pin 3 is Left audio out
Pin 4 is Right Gnd
Pin 5 is Left Gnd
Pin 21 is Composite Gnd
Pin 23 is Composite out

Pin 9 to Gnd (Pin 10)
Pin 11 to Gnd (Pin 12

Extract from third party data, but it works for me. biggrin.gif

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

Ok so what's been happening here then, well I am busy with the tut and working on something that will be really cool, I hope. Am also learning how to use Dreamweaver for the tut.
 <

TMG8

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2004, 07:58:00 AM »

hey keep up the good work spillage! i found this tutorial the other day on a head phone jack/audio Red White/right left and it also has volume control dials It's in french but you can make i translated it with google an the link should work other wise theres the original link also

check my post head phone + right left output

(IMG:http://www.xboxdash.org/php/images/Hardware/Audio/Xbox.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.xboxdash.org/php/images/Hardware/Audio/PotarB2.jpg)  <

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »

TMG8 it's up. Let me know what you reckon.

Headphone Amp tutorial

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »

well, aftwer about 10 attempts at soldering the plugs, i gave up, for now, i used the pinout numbering from HERE and decided on one of 2 things, either im using the wrong pin numbers or im soldering to the wrong pins. Im not getting any picture or sound, and i get a blinking orange green, so no plug, when i put in a standard RCA plug, i still get no audio or video, what's going wrong here??

spillage

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2004, 04:15:00 AM »

I have thought that there was something weird going on with all the different AVIP pin diagrams posted all over the place. I have wondered if in fact they are completely different types of XBOX out there with different AVIP drivers, but quickly realised that this can’t be true else you would have to buy cables that matched your model of XBOX. I have seen no record of this so conclude that some folks that publish there pin-outs are wrong. Anyways I don’t know who is responsible for the pin-outs I have been using. The three images below are simply PSP captures from the mht I aquired. Who ever it was may recognise the drawings and hats off to him/her/them.

All the connections in the drawings work for me without issue. I have noticed that some folks reckon you can get RF from the AVIP, I disagree with this but suggest that the RF setting is simply NTSC or PAL with mono audio for modulation by an RF adaptor.

(IMG:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/392648/AVIPPINOUTCHART.gif)

(IMG:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/392648/AVIPPLUGPINOUT.gif)

(IMG:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/392648/AVIPSOCKETPINOUT.gif)
(IMG:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/392648/AVIPSOCKETPCBUNDERSIDE.gif)  <
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22